12-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta GA
Total Cats: 2
Megasquirt in Turbocharged Locost
I have raced a Miata based locost for couple of years and added little somthing each year to the car. Originally I built the car with all original wiring harness and now the heat from turbo and engine in general has compromised parts of the wiring. In addition there are several wires which I am not using.
The car was built for occasional street use, but I don't think I need that ability anymore, like driving lights, door switches, radio and ac controls etc. All I need is working brake lights and an engine management and power supply for DL-1 data system and gauges. Currently the car has Emanage Ultimate with Tullos electronic boost controller. Works ok, but I have had to do field repairs to original wiring after some extra heat from leaking wastegate connection had melteed wires and caused electrical problems. I would be facing rewiring the engine bay to be reliable this year if I was using this setup.
Car had 208 hp at 9 psi with GT 2560 ball bearing turbo and separate Tial 38 mm wastegate. There was RX-7 intercooler and 460 cc injectors. The boost was kept moderate for reliability reasons, the races typically are 20-40 minutes long and there are enduros which take up to three hours. There will be red flag situations where the car has to be stopped from full boost and the engine looses the airflow from speed, car can idle to let the turbo cool down if the fan is up to it.
I am looking for reliable, sustainable power with as few as possible quirks which can go wrong.
Currently I am looking into MS system with display and getting all new wiring.
1. How readable and usable is the 3"x5" touchscreen display unit from DIY autotune?
2. What options would be recommended in rugged turbocharged stand-alone MS system in a -96 Miata 1.8 motor.
- Knock sensing, is it dependable and worth having?
- Electronic Boost control, is it dependable? Not good experience with Tullos, At last three races I was running 7 psi boost on wastegate spring only.
- I will get coil on plug soon, do I need to know this now to spec for future sequential ignition and injection?
3. Please confirm that it makes sense to use MS Relay board to make this as simple as possible. Next race is Feb 8th and this needs to be installed by then. I was thinking of ordering the whole package assembled with all the connecting wiring.