CSTG's winter/spring build #....7? The Worst MSM Ever. - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #81
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Portland (left coast)
Posts: 214
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post

The MSM setup only makes sense for people that have emissions/visual inspection/etc.
That is why I did it. Otherwise, it seems to make more sense to turbo a N/A.
tazswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #82
Cpt. Slow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

Went for a drive today, I'm loving this car. Needs more chassis rigidity and better brakes. Thank goodness I have 100% of the MSM under body bracing still sitting on my back deck after a good washing, the BBK still needs to be installed, and the Blackbird Fabworx GT3 still...being fabbed? In shipping? Who knows. Point is this is a beast already, feels like a solid 190ish hp at 8psi, this guy (C7) stood zero chance.

Name:  8A4EA514-5716-4674-A8DB-9D9782784B28_zpssiwxvzgw.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  1.45 MB

Then of course I did too much tuning in the Fred Meyer parking lot, and the battery died. Luckily I was only ~5 miles from home and my wife was available. Quick jump later and I was driving home again. My wife snapped this interesting photo on the way back.



Gonna have to fix that once I clean the car up a bit. Luckily I didn't loose the badge.
Attached Thumbnails
CSTG's winter/spring build #....7? The Worst MSM Ever.-bfeb9aeb-e150-4b4f-8485-32c246463e8c_zpstnogzyyl.jpg  
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:53 AM   #83
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 194
Total Cats: 10
Default

Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

Speaking of cleaning up when should we setup the puff and polish session? Might be best to just do it when you're working.
Should we make it the very last thing done?
oregonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:55 AM   #84
Cpt. Slow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

That's what I'm thinking, yes. This Saturday I'll install the BBK and under chassis bracing at AR, and between now and the 24th will be spend fine tuning fuel and other aspects of the tune. And on that Friday the 24th, Martin and I are dyno'ing Laz with 3", and the MSM.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #85
Newb
 
mikev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 21
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmon View Post
Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

Speaking of cleaning up when should we setup the puff and polish session? Might be best to just do it when you're working.
Should we make it the very last thing done?
Hey Ryan, I understand you're going to working on getting the paint looking better. Thanks! I really appreciate it.

MSMs are nice looking cars, especially in black. It's a shame the way this poor car was treated by the PO. It will be really nice not cringing when I look at her when she comes back to me.

Thanks again.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #86
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,924
Total Cats: 526
Default

Mike, sounds like you should have your car back by the end of the month! Exciting.

In for results. I want to ride in this car too.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #87
Newb
 
mikev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 21
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Went for a drive today, I'm loving this car. Needs more chassis rigidity and better brakes. Thank goodness I have 100% of the MSM under body bracing still sitting on my back deck after a good washing,
I had been looking at FM's frame rail brace as a possible add-on for stiffening things up a bit. Does this make sense on this car (MSM)? I'm not sure how much Mazda did in that department. Didn't the MSM get additional chassis stiffening bits? I don't have the car here of course, or I'd go out and look myself.

Anybody here got opinions/experience with these and "butterfly" type cross braces from FM (and others as I recall).
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #88
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
concealer404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,460
Total Cats: 782
Default

The FM stuff is far superior to the OEM bracing. I bet you'd notice an improvement just running FM's frame rails and ditching the OEM "butterfly" bracing junk.
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #89
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: PHX, Arizona
Posts: 227
Total Cats: 13
Default

And the FM stuff is probably lighter than the OEM stuff to boot.
humming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #90
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 737
Total Cats: 30
Default

You'll be fine with the factory bracing and roll bar if you want more do some door bars
greddygalant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #91
Newb
 
mikev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 21
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddygalant View Post
You'll be fine with the factory bracing and roll bar if you want more do some door bars
That's exactly what Josh and I decided would be our path.

I do know a guy down in the SF Bay Area who specializes in building full cages into cars in such a way as to minimize the comfort in an otherwise DD. He's put cages in some high dollar cars you'd never expect.

TC Design.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #92
Newb
 
mikev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 21
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikev View Post
That's exactly what Josh and I decided would be our path.

I do know a guy down in the SF Bay Area who specializes in building full cages into cars in such a way as to minimize the comfort in an otherwise DD. He's put cages in some high dollar cars you'd never expect.

TC Design.
minimize the comfort usability impact was what I was thinking. Apparently my fingers were thinking something else.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:48 AM   #93
SADFab Destructive Testing Engineer
iTrader: (5)
 
aidandj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beaverton, USA
Posts: 17,992
Total Cats: 1,457
Default

aidandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:53 AM   #94
Newb
 
mikev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 21
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidandj View Post
That's the guy. Tony is a very talented fabricator and a really good guy. We were on a race team together just before he formed TC Design. He's come a long way. Not that I'm at all surprised. He is very good.

When Turner Motorsport is one of your dealers you know you've arrived. At least when your shop is in Silicon Valley
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #95
Cpt. Slow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

Little teaser for Mike:



Passenger side ebrake wasn't adjusted correctly, hence the blocks, just in case. Fixed that already.
Attached Thumbnails
CSTG's winter/spring build #....7? The Worst MSM Ever.-bc838b73-3ed1-4eba-9d7d-2cd9f3a74979_zpsvpmjjpxs.jpg  
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:27 PM   #96
Newb
 
mikev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 21
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Little teaser for Mike:



Passenger side ebrake wasn't adjusted correctly, hence the blocks, just in case. Fixed that already.
Remember that premature ejaculation I mentioned in my first post? Dang, I've done it again.
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #97
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 194
Total Cats: 10
Default

Tackling the paint today.
oregonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #98
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 194
Total Cats: 10
Default

Hey Mike and Josh,
Taking a brief break here.
I think the consensus here was that the car's paint has been neglected and seen better days. You can see the type of corrosion on certain hardware/nuts and bolts from living near saltwater I assume.
I've gone over it a few times with my DA polisher and with a couple different products and polishes to get the best results.
Bad news is that there are some pretty deep scratches, marks and oxidation that are down to the paint and beyond. I'm able to hide those some but I just don't have the capabilities and equipment to remove them.
Good news is I've removed a lot of haze, swirl marks, fine scratches and water spots from the clear coat. The shine is coming back really nicely and the pearl/flake is showing through much better as well. It looks much more deep and dark black. It'll be a very nice 8 footer
I'll follow up with some more photos.
oregonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #99
Newb
 
mikev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 21
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmon View Post
Hey Mike and Josh,
Taking a brief break here.
I think the consensus here was that the car's paint has been neglected and seen better days. You can see the type of corrosion on certain hardware/nuts and bolts from living near saltwater I assume.
I've gone over it a few times with my DA polisher and with a couple different products and polishes to get the best results.
Bad news is that there are some pretty deep scratches, marks and oxidation that are down to the paint and beyond. I'm able to hide those some but I just don't have the capabilities and equipment to remove them.
Good news is I've removed a lot of haze, swirl marks, fine scratches and water spots from the clear coat. The shine is coming back really nicely and the pearl/flake is showing through much better as well. It looks much more deep and dark black. It'll be a very nice 8 footer
I'll follow up with some more photos.
Hey Ryan, thanks for all the work. We knew going in that this car was neglected in every possible aspect including the exterior. It's hard to imagine someone having a car like this and just letting it go to s&$t, but it happens.

It looks SO much better in the photos I can tell you've done an amazing job with it and I thank you very much. As an 8 footer you gained about 30' or so. We used to use the term 50/50 as the minimum spec for acceptable appearance for the race sponsors. That's 50 feet, or 50 MPH. This thing wasn't quite 50/50 but it was pretty bad. Eight feet is a big improvement.

Maybe when the bank account is a bit less depleted I'll be able to take it in and get a real repaint on it, because this car deserves it. But until that time you've made it so I don't have to grimace every time I walk up to the car.

Thanks! --mike v
mikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #100
Cpt. Slow
Thread Starter
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

Killer job Ryan, absolutely amazing. If you can get a decent shot with your NA and the MSM, I'm pretty sure we'll be in the next Mazda commercial.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garrett Turbo, 1.8 Oil Pan, & Misc. Stuff nbdooey Miata parts for sale/trade 9 08-30-2017 10:50 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 PM.