Should I replace my pistons? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Build Threads Building a motor? Post the progress here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #21
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Expect to spend $500-1000 at the machine shop depending on how much work you have them do. At a minimum you will need them to bore and hone the block. Since you sound like you have never been in a motor before, I would highly suggest you have them put together the complete bottom end.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #22
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (3)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,700
Total Cats: 319
Default

Yea it goes up if they magneflux, linebore, or do ring filing etc. If you weren't already going to do the reassembly yourself, the automotive machinists do this for a living, and may be worth the piece of mind.

I'd say you look pretty handy for a novice, but there are some particulars that come with experience.
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 AM   #23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 200
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Since you sound like you have never been in a motor before, I would highly suggest you have them put together the complete bottom end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
I'd say you look pretty handy for a novice, but there are some particulars that come with experience.
Any suggestions on how best to acquire the experience? I've also never opened up a motor, although I've always done all the work on my cars. A compression test appears to indicate my rings are going south so I've been contemplating doing a rebuild. It's something I've always wanted to learn to do, and I would likely grab a spare block to build, or a good engine to swap and build my current one, so I could take my time and not stress about getting the car back on the road. Thoughts? Sorry for the slight threadjack!
slowcarfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:45 AM   #24
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (3)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,700
Total Cats: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarfast View Post
Any suggestions on how best to acquire the experience? I've also never opened up a motor, although I've always done all the work on my cars. A compression test appears to indicate my rings are going south so I've been contemplating doing a rebuild. It's something I've always wanted to learn to do, and I would likely grab a spare block to build, or a good engine to swap and build my current one, so I could take my time and not stress about getting the car back on the road. Thoughts? Sorry for the slight threadjack!

If you have time, space and funds:

Option 1: Replace your current motor with a running one for a couple hundred bux. Tear down your old motor and slowly build it up

Option 2: If your engine is fine but you want to replace it eventually, start sourcing parts and piece together a new motor so when yours does fail, you have a backup.

Option 3: Run your motor blissfully into the ground, when **** hits the fan, rebuild your existing motor and get a second car

I did a combination option 2 and 3 as my car catastrophically failed and had to rebuild a completely different motor.
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,842
Total Cats: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
If you have time, space and funds:

Option 1: Replace your current motor with a running one for a couple hundred bux. Tear down your old motor and slowly build it up

Option 2: If your engine is fine but you want to replace it eventually, start sourcing parts and piece together a new motor so when yours does fail, you have a backup.

Option 3: Run your motor blissfully into the ground, when **** hits the fan, rebuild your existing motor and get a second car

I did a combination option 2 and 3 as my car catastrophically failed and had to rebuild a completely different motor.


Attached Thumbnails
Should I replace my pistons?-1slippery.jpeg  
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #26
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

There are a lot of little things that will trip you up on building a motor yourself. Things a competent machinist will know, but you being a newb will not. Unless you know someone who has built a few motors I would highly suggest just paying a machine shop to put together the bottom end. Destroying a motor because you did something stupid sucks and is not really a path you want to go down.

For an example on my first motor build a friend and I built it. I installed an oil pump, but did not install the relief valve. So when I got the motor running I had zero oil pressure. I then had to pull the motor again to install it. A machine shop would have caught that and installed the relief valve at the start.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #27
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (3)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,700
Total Cats: 319
Default

Girz0r, I think we should be friends.
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #28
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 200
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
DANGER!
You're telling me. I have progressed like this: initial goals of a nice reasonable 220whp on stock bottom end/5 speed -> engine's bad, need to rebuild, have e85 nearby, why not shoot for 275-300 -> well if I'm gonna have to buy a 6 speed and 3.9 rear anyway might as well buy a whole new low mileage car that already has those pieces attached and build my current motor while I drive that...

All this while I've been waiting for months to install my turbo cause I have 3 little kids and only have time to buy parts and talk about it on the internet, not actually work on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend
Pay someone to do it right...
Given the aforementioned lack of time this makes a loooot of sense.
slowcarfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 93
Total Cats: 3
Default

Hey guys, I'm 100% set on doing the work myself. Even though this is my first time in a Miata engine I have done a lot of research. I've been in smaller engines before and I have also watched a lot of videos on the YouTube's. I have kept all my hardware in order based on the order it was disassembled. I also have taken pictures to help me reference things.
However, $500-1000 sounds like a lot to me. I was pretty set on only doing a bore/hone. Based what I've seen in my engine I don't think it needs a line bore, crank polished, ect. But I could be wrong. The only real thing I'm confused about is assuming I go with 83.5mm supertech's do I get the cylinder's bored to the piston+the ring?
Jmanwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,842
Total Cats: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
Girz0r, I think we should be friends.


Attached Thumbnails
Should I replace my pistons?-thmjrccorhq3bqui35sf_l19.gif  
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #31
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,798
Total Cats: 492
Default

Yes, have the pistons in hand to give to the machinist first
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.8 MP62 Supercharger Kit. MS1 (99-00), AEM, Link, Gauges. douginjenison Miata parts for sale/trade 7 08-17-2016 04:18 PM
1.8 Miata Rear Diff Swap Needed boriicuaz Miata parts for sale/trade 1 04-18-2016 01:44 PM
1.8 BEGI Turbo Kit, Xedi Engine Management, 3" Exhaust AdrianD2 Miata parts for sale/trade 4 04-03-2016 10:27 PM
WTB: used 1.8l miata engine for 99 miata Jack Kun Aguero WTB 6 03-25-2016 10:24 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.