Political/Current Events Random, Pics, and Videos Thread - Page 518 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #10341  
Ignorant Turbo Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
mitymazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: El Dorado/Sacramento
Posts: 349
Total Cats: 264
Default

In other News, two guys tried to rob me at knife point on a job site in Rio Linda today.
I was at the pump station for less then 10 minutes when I see two dumb ***** walking up to my truck.
Tweaker one grabs the door handle on the passenger side and the other guy with a knife in his hand comes around the hood to my door.
I'm there to pick up some cylinder samples that had to cure overnight, I had finished loading up and sitting in my truck on the phone scheduling foundation inspections for Monday. I see these guys walking from about 50 yards and they come down from the top of the levee and know something's up. It's a bunch of houses on one side growing pot in back yards and the creek bed full of bum camps on the other. This pumpstation im at is down at the bottom at a dead end. ****** starts hitting on my window with the butt of the knife telling me to open the door!
Everytime I get in my truck to drive I pull my holster out of my waistband and slide it between the seat and center console into a organizer I have there. It's not for access so much as sitting with a CZ p-01 digging into the kidney isn't the greatest.
Today I was glad I did. I pulled it out dragging it against the seat which caught on to the kydex and pointed straight at the guys chest.
He said "sorry man we cool we cool" and started backing off, I yelled start ******* running and he kinda loped off back up the access road after his buddy who ran the minute he saw the gun.

I got up to the road very quickly and took a breather for about five minutes at the Starbucks parking lot north of the interstate 80. I was feeling the adrenaline dump like you get after riding a downhill on a bike.
I pretty pissed off about the whole thing. I don't want to shoot some piece of ****, and I'm really resenting the low life getto attitude like its no big ******* deal I'm trying to rob you. It's cool? No most definitely not. And what the hell are the cops gonna do? I have a good relationship with the sheriffs department in my county and find myself fortunate to have a ccw and have a job where I can carry if I like. I am a firearms enthusiast and participate in matches and have taken various firearms courses at frontsite and Thunder ranch. That said nobody in their right mind wants to be in this situation. I told the owner of my company and we had a drink after work. He agreed I can't really do much and we need to warn our guys and only do pick ups if whatever contractor is onsite.

It's shitty then to see the shooting all over TV when I get home just makes it worse. So much of America is ruined due to culture being eroded.
I'm good with it but man I'm really not liking working in the shitty parts of town.
mitymazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #10342  
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 17,211
Total Cats: 1,910
Default

Sorry you had to go through that. They weren't expecting you to be armed because it is California, I'm guessing?

Regarding the school incident here in Florida, they should have made it a gun free zone to prevent this from happening. Sometimes it's the simple solutions that are so easily overlooked.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #10343  
Ignorant Turbo Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
mitymazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: El Dorado/Sacramento
Posts: 349
Total Cats: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
Sorry you had to go through that. They weren't expecting you to be armed because it is California, I'm guessing?

Regarding the school incident here in Florida, they should have made it a gun free zone to prevent this from happening. Sometimes it's the simple solutions that are so easily overlooked.
I'm not sorry, it's a very real life lesson.
I wish they would just go one step further then gun free zones and just make crime illegal.
We wouldn't need responsible people with guns.
mitymazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #10344  
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 17,211
Total Cats: 1,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitymazda View Post
I wish they would just go one step further than gun free zones and just make crime illegal.
We wouldn't need responsible people with guns.
That's a pretty fantastic idea. I'm going to write my congressman.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:23 PM   #10345  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,825
Total Cats: 174
Default

I took out a bum last year when he was harassing patrons at a restaurant, including me. It kept going through my mind that I wasn't armed and he could have a knife or a gun. Not a good feeling. And the adrenaline.....HO BOY.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #10346  
Hug Life
iTrader: (3)
 
Monk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Huntington, Indiana
Posts: 2,928
Total Cats: 567
Default

I'm glad you're ok man.
It's fortunate you were able to back them off without having to fire a shot.
I know the feeling of being in a life threatening situation, but having to show restraint. It's terrible, and I feel badly for you.
Most people don't realize just how often that happens.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:19 AM   #10347  
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kauai, HI
Posts: 6,139
Total Cats: 191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
Serious question.
Why should today be any different than the other days?
We’re Averaging One School Shooting Every 60 Hours In 2018
Sorry to quote a Huffington Post article...
You don't quote Huffpo when it comes to gun schools or kids and gun crime because...
They consider any shooting involving anybody under the age of 25 a "youth", and lump statistics involving a 5yr old that was murder/suicide by the father in with adult gang-members in a shootout... it's all "kids and guns".
Also, any shooting within 500 yards of a "school" is lumped into "school shootings".
Also, they lump universities in with daycare centers all under the heading of "school".

Most Huffpo gun numbers are inflated by an order of magnitude. They tell just enough foggy truth to justify whatever headline will get liberals to click-bait and grasp at the shortest possible straw to link any gun event of any kind with "schools and kids and guns".
Plus, they'll do anything to advance the liberal narrative that college-attending adults are really just large children that need to be coddled and protected like 5yr olds.

For this story, the editor told his staff "Get me some **** to validate "School Shooting Every 60 Hours". They could as easily come up with stories to link that was for 24hours or 48hours, but after reading how far they had to stretch the examples to get there, it wouldn't be credible. 80hours is too long, 48hours is too short... how come they didn't say "2.5 days"... because adding "hours" to the title makes it sound more like a crisis... like time is running out. DRAMA!!! It's all spoon-fed to people who will believe anything on Huffpo.


Feb. 8: The Metropolitan High School in New York City
A gunshot was fired in the Bronx school and left a bullet hole in a classroom floor but caused no injuries. Police took a 17-year-old into custody.

ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE AS IT FELL OUT OF HIS BAG... YEAH RIGHT, BUT STILL NOT A "SHOOTING"

Feb. 5: Harmony Learning Center in Maplewood, Minnesota
A third-grader discharged a police officer’s holstered gun while participating in a group activity at the K-12 school. No injuries were reported.

COP STUPIDITY, NOT SCHOOL RELATED

Feb. 5: Oxon Hill High School in Oxon Hill, Maryland
A student was shot outside the school in an apparent robbery attempt and hospitalized for several hours. Police charged two other teenagers with attempted murder.

GANG BULLSHIT, NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCHOOL

Feb. 1: Salvador B. Castro Middle School in Los Angeles
Two middle school students sustained injuries after they were shot in a classroom. Police took a 12-year-old girl into custody in connection with the shooting. LEGIT

Jan. 31: Lincoln High School in Philadelphia
A 32-year-old man died after being shot twice in the leg outside the high school during after a brawl broke out during a school basketball game.
GANG BULLSHIT WITH DOZENS OF PEOPLE INVOLVED, NOTHING TO DO WITH SCHOOL

Jan. 26: Dearborn High School in Dearborn, Michigan
Someone fired shots from a car at the school’s parking lot during a basketball game, but no one was injured.
GANG BULLSHIT, NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCHOOL

Jan. 25: Murphy High School in Mobile, Alabama
A 16-year-old student fired multiple shots at another student after a verbal disagreement. No one was injured.

NO HE DIDN'T, HE FIRED SHOTS INTO THE AIR AFTER THE KID RAN FROM HIM AND HE WAS BEING CHASED BY TEACHERS, LEGIT, BUT STILL LIES

Jan. 23: Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky
A 15-year-old boy opened fire inside the school, killing two and injuring 16.
LEGIT

Jan. 22: NET Charter High School in New Orleans
Someone driving by the school fired on a group of students in the parking lot. One boy was injured.
GANG BULLSHIT UNRELATED TO THE SCHOOL

Jan. 22: Italy High School in Italy, Texas
A 16-year-old boy shot a 15-year-old girl in the cafeteria. He was arrested and she was airlifted to a hospital, where she was later reported to be “in good spirits.”
LEGIT

Jan. 20: Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Following an argument, a 21-year-old Winston-Salem University student was shot and killed during a sorority event at Wake Forest University.

******* COLLEGE, ADULTS

Jan. 15: Wiley College in Marshall, Texas
Two people in a car exchanged gunfire with a person in a dormitory parking lot. No one was injured, but a bullet was fired into a dorm room with three female students inside.

******* COLLEGE, ADULTS

Jan. 10: Coronado Elementary School in Sierra Vista, Arizona
A 14-year-old died in a school bathroom from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

SUICIDE, NOBODY CARES

Jan. 10: Grayson College in Denison, Texas
A student confused a training weapon with a real one and fired a bullet through a classroom wall. No students were injured.

******* COLLEGE, ADULTS

Jan. 10: California State University in San Bernardino, California
At least one shot was fired, shattering a classroom window. No students were injured.

******* COLLEGE, ADULTS

Jan. 4: New Start High School in Seattle
Two shots were fired at the school from outside the building. No students were injured.

NOBODY SAW OR HEARD ANYTHING. COULD HAVE BEEN FROM A HUNTER A MILE AWAY.

Jan. 3: East Olive Elementary School in St. John, Michigan
A man standing in the school’s parking lot called 911 saying he was suicidal. He spoke with a county official for several hours on the phone, according to local media, but ultimately shot himself and died from a single gunshot wound.

AN ADULT SUICIDE TOTALLY UNRELATED TO SCHOOL
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:28 AM   #10348  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,825
Total Cats: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
You don't quote Huffpo when it comes to gun schools or kids and gun crime because...
They consider any shooting involving anybody under the age of 25 a "youth", and lump statistics involving a 5yr old that was murder/suicide by the father in with adult gang-members in a shootout... it's all "kids and guns".
Also, any shooting within 500 yards of a "school" is lumped into "school shootings".
Also, they lump universities in with daycare centers all under the heading of "school".

Most Huffpo gun numbers are inflated by an order of magnitude. They tell just enough foggy truth to justify whatever headline will get liberals to click-bait and grasp at the shortest possible straw to link any gun event of any kind with "schools and kids and guns".
Plus, they'll do anything to advance the liberal narrative that college-attending adults are really just large children that need to be coddled and protected like 5yr olds.

For this story, the editor told his staff "Get me some **** to validate "School Shooting Every 60 Hours". They could as easily come up with stories to link that was for 24hours or 48hours, but after reading how far they had to stretch the examples to get there, it wouldn't be credible. 80hours is too long, 48hours is too short... how come they didn't say "2.5 days"... because adding "hours" to the title makes it sound more like a crisis... like time is running out. DRAMA!!! It's all spoon-fed to people who will believe anything on Huffpo.


Feb. 8: The Metropolitan High School in New York City
A gunshot was fired in the Bronx school and left a bullet hole in a classroom floor but caused no injuries. Police took a 17-year-old into custody.

ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE AS IT FELL OUT OF HIS BAG... YEAH RIGHT, BUT STILL NOT A "SHOOTING"

Feb. 5: Harmony Learning Center in Maplewood, Minnesota
A third-grader discharged a police officer’s holstered gun while participating in a group activity at the K-12 school. No injuries were reported.

COP STUPIDITY, NOT SCHOOL RELATED

Feb. 5: Oxon Hill High School in Oxon Hill, Maryland
A student was shot outside the school in an apparent robbery attempt and hospitalized for several hours. Police charged two other teenagers with attempted murder.

GANG BULLSHIT, NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCHOOL

Feb. 1: Salvador B. Castro Middle School in Los Angeles
Two middle school students sustained injuries after they were shot in a classroom. Police took a 12-year-old girl into custody in connection with the shooting. LEGIT

Jan. 31: Lincoln High School in Philadelphia
A 32-year-old man died after being shot twice in the leg outside the high school during after a brawl broke out during a school basketball game.
GANG BULLSHIT WITH DOZENS OF PEOPLE INVOLVED, NOTHING TO DO WITH SCHOOL

Jan. 26: Dearborn High School in Dearborn, Michigan
Someone fired shots from a car at the school’s parking lot during a basketball game, but no one was injured.
GANG BULLSHIT, NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCHOOL

Jan. 25: Murphy High School in Mobile, Alabama
A 16-year-old student fired multiple shots at another student after a verbal disagreement. No one was injured.

NO HE DIDN'T, HE FIRED SHOTS INTO THE AIR AFTER THE KID RAN FROM HIM AND HE WAS BEING CHASED BY TEACHERS, LEGIT, BUT STILL LIES

Jan. 23: Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky
A 15-year-old boy opened fire inside the school, killing two and injuring 16.
LEGIT

Jan. 22: NET Charter High School in New Orleans
Someone driving by the school fired on a group of students in the parking lot. One boy was injured.
GANG BULLSHIT UNRELATED TO THE SCHOOL

Jan. 22: Italy High School in Italy, Texas
A 16-year-old boy shot a 15-year-old girl in the cafeteria. He was arrested and she was airlifted to a hospital, where she was later reported to be “in good spirits.”
LEGIT

Jan. 20: Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Following an argument, a 21-year-old Winston-Salem University student was shot and killed during a sorority event at Wake Forest University.

******* COLLEGE, ADULTS

Jan. 15: Wiley College in Marshall, Texas
Two people in a car exchanged gunfire with a person in a dormitory parking lot. No one was injured, but a bullet was fired into a dorm room with three female students inside.

******* COLLEGE, ADULTS

Jan. 10: Coronado Elementary School in Sierra Vista, Arizona
A 14-year-old died in a school bathroom from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

SUICIDE, NOBODY CARES

Jan. 10: Grayson College in Denison, Texas
A student confused a training weapon with a real one and fired a bullet through a classroom wall. No students were injured.

******* COLLEGE, ADULTS

Jan. 10: California State University in San Bernardino, California
At least one shot was fired, shattering a classroom window. No students were injured.

******* COLLEGE, ADULTS

Jan. 4: New Start High School in Seattle
Two shots were fired at the school from outside the building. No students were injured.

NOBODY SAW OR HEARD ANYTHING. COULD HAVE BEEN FROM A HUNTER A MILE AWAY.

Jan. 3: East Olive Elementary School in St. John, Michigan
A man standing in the school’s parking lot called 911 saying he was suicidal. He spoke with a county official for several hours on the phone, according to local media, but ultimately shot himself and died from a single gunshot wound.

AN ADULT SUICIDE TOTALLY UNRELATED TO SCHOOL
If you're a liberal and you read HuffPo, WaPo and NYT, you'll probably go around checking anyone for horns who doesn't profess to love Bernie Sanders. Truth is, when you're conservative you have NO CHOICE as to whether you read liberal news or not--it's pervasive. The truly enlightened liberal will read from news sources they don't like, simply to get a rounded picture of the news.

Last edited by cordycord; 02-15-2018 at 09:48 AM.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:46 AM   #10349  
Senior Member
 
Lokiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 654
Total Cats: 82
Default

Lokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #10350  
Ignorant Turbo Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
mitymazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: El Dorado/Sacramento
Posts: 349
Total Cats: 264
Default

^^^ good guy with a brick stopping a bad guy with a brick?
​​​​​​​
mitymazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #10351  
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 74,461
Total Cats: 2,038
Default

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #10352  
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 74,461
Total Cats: 2,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitymazda View Post
It's shitty then to see the shooting all over TV when I get home just makes it worse. So much of America is ruined due to culture being eroded.
if we could only stop protecting the NRA, these thugs wouldn't bother you anymore.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #10353  
Ignorant Turbo Newb
iTrader: (1)
 
mitymazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: El Dorado/Sacramento
Posts: 349
Total Cats: 264
Default

^^^
Sounds reasonable, people who pay money to an organization to fight for constitutional rights don't seem like the kind of folks that would take accountability for their own choices evryday and everything must be victimizing them in life....
mitymazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #10354  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,825
Total Cats: 174
Default

You've all seen the meme--law abiding citizens have hundreds of millions of guns and trillions of rounds of ammo. If they were a problem, we'd all know about it.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #10355  
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 74,461
Total Cats: 2,038
Default

I don't even understand why liberals freak out about mass shootings like this -- this is what they want our country to be like. Maybe they are made that the targets weren't political opponents or the shooter weren't wearing all black with masks?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #10356  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
cordycord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,825
Total Cats: 174
Default

This is my letter to the editor--published today in the local San Clemente Times. We deal with bullshit at the national and state level, and it's really just as bad at the local level. Here it is:

I watched with admiration as San Clemente residents took hours out of their day to speak for only two minutes at the monthly Transportation Corridor Agencies (TCA) meeting on Feb. 8 in Irvine. There, people stood up for their family and their neighbors and read speeches that they researched and wrote personally.

What a great civics lesson for my kids, I thought. But then it hit me: Would I tell my kids that we were fighting a government agency that admitted to spying on us? Yes, the TCA admitted to following our personal Instagram and Facebook feeds. Would I tell them a government entity had just limited our speeches from three minutes to two minutes and then brought in their own friends and vendors of the TCA to eat up more speaking time?

Would I tell them how the TCA “ambushed” our City Council regarding a public relations contract? The accusation was so over-the-top that representatives from San Juan Capistrano and Anaheim stepped in to squash the nonsense.

No, the politics are too dirty and details too disheartening to explain to grade-school kids. What I will say is that there are people in our community who want to make things better, and they’re willing to stand up against nearly unlimited funds and the highest levels of government power in Orange County. And we’re winning.
cordycord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #10357  
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 74,461
Total Cats: 2,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordycord View Post
You've all seen the meme--law abiding citizens have hundreds of millions of guns and trillions of rounds of ammo. If they were a problem, we'd all know about it.






the NRA is at fault.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #10358  
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 17,211
Total Cats: 1,910
Default

I blame the eagle mascot at the NRA.

Nobody likes the Eagles.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #10359  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,287
Total Cats: 175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
I blame the eagle mascot at the NRA.

Nobody likes the Eagles.
Actual video of NRA eagle attempting to kidnap child:
Chiburbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #10360  
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 74,461
Total Cats: 2,038
Default

Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 63 08-09-2018 06:54 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 03:00 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 12:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 12:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:53 AM.




We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.