TX, you are still disappointing me. - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

More sad news from TX:

Houston's Strip Clubs Hit by New 'Pole Tax'

Quote:
The city of Houston is turning to an unusual source to help fund rape investigations: strip clubs.

The City Council passed an ordinance Wednesday that requires strip clubs to pay a $5-per-visitor fee to help pay for the analysis of biological evidence collected from rape victims in hopes of identifying their attackers.
Houston Strip Clubs Hit by New 'Pole Tax' - WSJ.com
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,454
Total Cats: 80
Default

Gotta love government's "tax this to pay for that unrelated thing".
JasonC SBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,010
Total Cats: 583
Default

Remember:

Penalty = Tax for purposes of the U.S. Constitution.

Penalty != Tax for purposes of the Fedaral Anti-Injunction Statute.

This is important.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 17
Default

I love drugs and strippers!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #25
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC SBB View Post
Gotta love government's "tax this to pay for that unrelated thing".
I've raped several people and every time its been on my way out of the titty bar.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 409
Total Cats: 19
Default

Can this be the disappointing TX politics thread?

http://www.scribd.com/document_downl...pdf&from=embed
This document is generally disturbing until you get to the education part, then it's just goes off the deep end.

Quote:
Classroom Discipline –We recommend that local school boards and classroom teachers be given moreauthority to deal with disciplinary problems. Corporal punishment is effective and legal in Texas.

College Tuition – We recommend three levels of college tuition: In-state requiring proof of Texas legalcitizenship, out-of-state requiring proof of US citizenship, and nonresident legal alien. Non-US citizens shouldnot be eligible for state or federal grants, or loans.

Controversial Theories – We support objective teaching and equal treatment of all sides of scientific theories.We believe theories such as life origins and environmental change should be taught as challengeable scientifictheories subject to change as new data is produced. Teachers and students should be able to discuss thestrengths and weaknesses of these theories openly and without fear of retribution or discrimination of any kind.

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.
Yep, teachers hitting children, that won't at all get abused.

I don't disagree in principal other than it will likely just mean more "brown people aren't citizens by default" laws.

Someone really needs to tell them how the scientific method works. The only retribution and discrimination that I see are towards people who won't accept the religion based theories.

Critical thinking? Who needs that when you can just Google search and post stupid questions on mt.net expecting someone to hand hold you instead. The last part just screams "We're afraid that our republican parents might not make republican children."
FatKao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

Teachers hitting children - worked well enough into the early 90s didn't it?
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

doesn't bother me. I wish I had the right to beat other people's children...I'd be the hero of every restaurant I go to.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #29
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKao View Post
Critical thinking? Who needs that when you can just Google search and post stupid questions on mt.net expecting someone to hand hold you instead. The last part just screams "We're afraid that our republican parents might not make republican children."
Every homosexual liberal is a lost tithe and lost GOP voting creationist. To quote The Great Reverend X, "Are ya laughin bitch? do you find it funny? You ain't hearin it, huh. I'll conversate it again. I come in the name of Jesus, repeat after me bitch...'I come in the name of Jesus and the power of the holy spirit'. God Almighty, ya know. Creater of heaven and the Earth, and every god damned thing in between. Ain't none of ya'll correcting me by my words."
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 640
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
Teachers hitting children - worked well enough into the early 90s didn't it?
We got lashings even in the late 90s, at the beginning of the school year we got a packet that has a form in it that stated whether the principal could hit the kids or not. Almost all the parents sent it back "yes."

After we got hit by the paddle with speed holes in it and it left a big red marks with normal spots where the speed holes where, we didnt do that ---- again. He hit the ---- out of us, and none of us bitched about it, we just started behaving.

I wish more parents whipped there kids, sucks that I cant even go into a damn subway without a kid screaming bloody murder and the parents dont give a damn.

My mom and damn would have hit me so hard, so guess what I didnt do
Opti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKao View Post
Someone really needs to tell them how the scientific method works. The only retribution and discrimination that I see are towards people who won't accept the religion based theories.
All science should be considered open to challenges. That's one of the things that separates science from religion, right?

Quote:
Critical thinking? Who needs that when you can just Google search and post stupid questions on mt.net expecting someone to hand hold you instead. The last part just screams "We're afraid that our republican parents might not make republican children."
I think you read that wrong or they wrote it poorly. As I read it, it looks like they believe the phrase "critical thinking" is a euphemism for whatever teaching method (behavorial modification?) that they are protesting. I did not interpret it to say they are actually against the act of critical thinking.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #32
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

texas is becoming a horrible state:

Federal court rejects Texas voter ID law
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

I don't know about the whole country, but in the square state of Ohio, any person over 18 years of age is legally required to carry a government issued photo ID at all times. The cost for a state issued ID card is $8.50 and is valid for 4 years. The ID card is merely a driver's license without driving privileges. If you have a valid driver's license, you're not eligible to receive an ID card....because your drivers license IS your ID card.

At $2.12 per year, I hardly think that photo identification to participate in an election should be anything less than compulsory. A homeless person probably misplaces at least that much money in just nickles and pennies every year.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #34
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Omfg ohio is so racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


if OH passed the voter ID law, the courts could not use the same arguement. You hear that TX?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #35
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,371
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
At $2.12 per year, I hardly think that photo identification to participate in an election should be anything less than compulsory. A homeless person probably misplaces at least that much money in just nickles and pennies every year.
Poll taxes are illegal in the United States.

Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections, 383 U.S. 663
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Poll taxes are illegal in the United States.

Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections, 383 U.S. 663
I would argue that the ID requirement would not be a poll tax, since it is already a requirement for citizenship within the State of Ohio. No person of voting age (except those who are 17 at the time of the vote in a primary election) would be required to pay any additional fees for the privilege of casting a ballot.

-but, regardless of my argument-

Any of the following meet Ohio's ID requirements:

A current and valid photo identification card issued by the State of Ohio or the United States government; or
A military identification ("military ID"); or
An original or copy of a current utility bill; or
An original or copy of a current bank statement; or
An original or copy of a current government check; or
An original or copy of a current paycheck; or
An original or copy of a current other government document, other than a voter registration acknowledgement notification mailed by the board of elections, that shows the voter’s name and current address.


....Military ID's are free....

LOL - just sayin'

I used this: "a voter registration acknowledgement notification mailed by the board of elections, that shows the voter’s name and current address." as proof of address during a recent firearm purchase in Ohio...

Last edited by fooger03; 08-30-2012 at 03:30 PM.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #37
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Poll taxes are illegal in the United States.

Harper v. Virginia Board of Elections, 383 U.S. 663

This argument is invalid if states that require citizens to have an ID and enact a voter ID law, issue free IDs... you hear that TX?

or if you simply do the math and tell me how much addtional cost it requires a OH voter to vote if an ID is required.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,371
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
This argument is invalid if states that require citizens to have an ID and enact a voter ID law, issue free IDs... you hear that TX?.
No arguments here. If the IDs are free, I have no problem with it - in theory. In practice, you get chucklefucks like Scott Walker trying to cut DMV office hours in Democratic districts, while using the cost savings to extend DMV hours in Republican districts.

If the IDs cost $0.01, it's unconstitutional. Voting should NEVER cost money.
Savington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #39
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

IMHO, even if the ID cost $50 a month as a requirement to be a citizen of the Socialized Kingdom of CA, I can't view it as a poll tax.

Which is constitutional per the tenth amendment.

Having to show something you are lawfully required to pay for and own in order to vote as a citizen of CA would be a common sense law to prevent prevailant voter fraud.

At that same logic, voting costs me gas, and if I walk, voting costs me energy (which means I need to buy food).

I just updated my voter registration online yesterday, that required an internet access. I have to spent .48 cents on a stamp once the form comes in the mail...
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
blaen99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,112
Total Cats: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
This argument is invalid if states that require citizens to have an ID and enact a voter ID law, issue free IDs... you hear that TX?

or if you simply do the math and tell me how much addtional cost it requires a OH voter to vote if an ID is required.
As I think about it, this is a good time to point something out.

Measuring the Effects of Voter Identification Laws - NYTimes.com

This suppresses up to 2.4% of the voting population from Not Voting. Not a few here or there, a very large amount (Tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, in one state's case potentially in the range of low millions) of voters are not voting. Let me reiterate, potentially up to low millions of voters may have legislation introduced that either directly or indirectly prevents them from voting.

For what?

There has yet to be any proven case of the systemic fraud Republicans allege in modern elections. I know, I know, you are going to hit back with that ridiculous argument about 10,000 dead people on voting polls....

The problem with that argument, and what makes it ridiculous is yes, people voted in the previous election. Then people died. This is expected behavior. The logical construction of this argument is "If you vote, you can't die". There is no sane reason to expect this. People die between the election, what you have to do when you say this is and then prove the people who died voted in a later election after they died. There is no evidence of this, only people dying after they voted!

Now, as for the Kansas argument. Waiting for evidence | Wichita Eagle - It's been debunked. By Kansas themselves.

Now let's take an even more careful look at Kansas. They alleged 221 cases of voter fraud from 1997 to 2010, but upon further inspection of 221 of these cases, not a single case of voter fraud could be found. Several cases of supposed voter fraud in their grouping was a military member's absentee ballot not matching their signature on file - yes, seriously. The implication of voter fraud is deployed military members not matching their signature on file. Many other cases of supposed voter fraud include parents mailing their at-university children's ballots, and similar insanity. But let's just assume for a second that every single one of these ballots were fraudulent, shall we? That's somewhere around 16 fraudulent votes per year.

Let's assume for a second Kansas's law is at the low end of estimated voter suppression schemes, and it's a measly 0.8%. Kansas is estimated to have about 3million people*, or about 24,000 votes suppressed per election. In trade for an estimated ~16 fraudulent-votes-that-have-never-been-proven-fraudulent per year.

I'll go through any state you want Brainy, any state you want. The numbers are the same universally. You see a handful of incidents of true voter fraud per election in the worst case (We're talking single digits at most, if not completely zero), and it's typically of the variety in the vein of Kansas. Specifically, someone goes to the DMV, applies for something, and then the DMV asks them if they want to register to vote.

Finally, I'm just going to use Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania GOPers Concede That Voter Fraud Claims Are a Myth | Addicting Info

Voter ID law has nothing to do with fraudulent voting. Even if you give every single possible allegedly fraudulent vote over 13 years in Kansas (Which has already been debunked anyways), you end up with an incidence of voting fraud that is so low that I cannot characterize it in any way other than a rounding error. And even given these assumptions, Kansas is trying to eliminate their alleged-but-proven-false voter fraud cases by passing laws that will cause a portion of the population orders of magnitude larger not to vote.

Now, I know what you are going to come back with Brainy. But Republicans in Wisconsin already proved that false. Due to how Republicans in Wisconsin crafted their voter ID law, college IDs are not eligible for one specific reason. They meet every other criteria, except that they do not have an expiration date. Their solution? Add an expiration date.

But then the Republicans in Wisconsin started whining about how if that is allowed, it will only increase voter fraud and they cannot allow college IDs that meet all the requirements of their voter ID law. If an ID meets every criteria that is set by the Republican's bill, how on earth can it aid voter fraud unless their bill has nothing to do with voter fraud in the first place?!?

I don't know your professional background Brainy. But in my professional background, under no circumstances do we replace a working algorithm in code for another algorithm that is provably and substantially orders of magnitude worse due to some level of paranoia that was easily proven false. If I did that, I'd be fired.

*Source: Kansas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited by blaen99; 08-30-2012 at 04:24 PM.
blaen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
Transmission Heat Shield Thread patsmx5 General Miata Chat 46 06-06-2016 11:27 AM
An Old Driver but a newbie in Miata Patriarca Meet and Greet 17 10-13-2015 02:34 PM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.