Why ban smokeless tobacco? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 640
Total Cats: 19
Default Why ban smokeless tobacco?

Hey guys Im writing a paper for a class to troll my prof. If it turns out good enough I may even send it to the president. They just banned all tobacco, and my professor is always giving me ---- about my snuff.

So Im going to write a very sarcastic paper about how we should also ban coffee drinking or something like that, and make the correlation on how it is similar to the smokeless tobacco ban.

I need you to list some reasons to ban smokeless tobacco on a college campus.
Opti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,908
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

control.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,110
Total Cats: 518
Default

Its utterly disgusting and a clue to the chewer's inferior intelligence level. I'm surprised you even see it on a college campus, are you referring to the help?
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opti View Post
Hey guys Im writing a paper for a class to troll my prof. If it turns out good enough I may even send it to the president. They just banned all tobacco, and my professor is always giving me ---- about my snuff.
Boo ------- hoo.

Quote:
So Im going to write a very sarcastic paper about how we should also ban coffee drinking or something like that, and make the correlation on how it is similar to the smokeless tobacco ban.
Cliffs: It isn't. Smokeless tobacco products are ------- disgusting. If the process of drinking coffee involved either spitting it back out into another cup, or imbibing it anally and dumping it off in a bucket, I would be more sympathetic to your oppressed plight, but as it stands, your just being a whiny bitch. (I'm also living on the assumption here that your 'snuff' is actually dip. If you're snorting anything up your nose your ------- retarded and this thread makes a lot more sense).

Quote:
I need you to list some reasons to ban smokeless tobacco on a college campus.
Gladly:
Chew spit stinks like dick.
Lots of (not all) people spit that ---- on the sidewalks and on walls and it stains worse than hustlers mom's period blood.
Watching other people spit into cups is disgusting. If you have some sort of medical condition I understand, but 'because I wanna' isn't good enough.

[Disclaimer]
I'm a smoker of cigars and a pipe, and smoked cigs for quite a while, and I keep that ---- to myself. If I'm in a group that contains non-smokers, I go off on my own. I don't smoke in public places, and I certainly don't litter butts or tips everywhere. The fact that it affects other people makes it ok to ban it in a public place.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
ThatGuy85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Waldo, Ohio
Posts: 750
Total Cats: 8
Default

I can see why they would ban it inside the classroom. Across the entire campus however is pretty stupid. What type of college is this?
ThatGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Because it's really, really distracting when this guy is sitting in class.

mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 640
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Ciesielski View Post
[Disclaimer]
I'm a smoker of cigars and a pipe, and smoked cigs for quite a while, and I keep that ---- to myself. If I'm in a group that contains non-smokers, I go off on my own. I don't smoke in public places, and I certainly don't litter butts or tips everywhere. The fact that it affects other people makes it ok to ban it in a public place.
It could be argued that everything you do in a public place affects other people. Lets just ban everything. What if I'm allergic to tobacco smoke and you go off somewhere smoke and come back and I have a fit and almost die.

The actual problem isn't about affecting people, its about people thinking their affected because they are little whiners.

Id rather step in a someones spit on a sidewalk, than fresh gum. The gum is a bitch to get off makes a high spot in your sole when you walk. Chewing gum isn't banned.

This is similar to the smoking arguement we had. Two sides, "Who cares? I'll just avoid it. Let them do what they want" and "I want to go there but they let people smoke. BAN IT. Who gives a ---- about the smokers, this is burger king I want it my way"

The ban itself doesnt bother me much, but I have a professor who is always harping on it when he sees a can in someones pocket, so I want to write this paper to get him riled up.

Ive done it a few times, I wrote a paper on why global warming is a bunch of ----, because the prof was always talking about how we are killing the environment blah blah blah, and I did one about lowering the legal drinking age because another prof was always lecturing us about how drinking is evil.
Opti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Crumple Zone Tester
iTrader: (7)
 
mgeoffriau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS
Posts: 7,656
Total Cats: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opti View Post
It could be argued that everything you do in a public place affects other people.
Are you at a public or private university?
mgeoffriau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 640
Total Cats: 19
Default

Public.

I'm not arguing whether they can or cant, because they most definitely can. Im arguing that its ridiculous they did, at least in the case of my paper.
Opti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (24)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,074
Total Cats: 253
Default

Attached Thumbnails
Why ban smokeless tobacco?-government_heretohelp1.jpg  
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,519
Total Cats: 260
Default

All I gathered from this thread is that if you go to a crap college, you're going to have all kinds of weird classmates. Common sense, I know.
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 640
Total Cats: 19
Default

^Nailed it.

But I was seriously looking for someone to give me a decent reason for a ban of this sort. Trying to cover all the bases for the paper.
Opti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,908
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

I tried to get my college to ban hippies...unfortunately they outnumber me, and colleges think that majority rule works in mental instiutions.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,039
Total Cats: 407
Default

Same reason we have a politics section.

So I don't have to look at it.
y8s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opti View Post
Ive done it a few times, I wrote a paper on why global warming is a bunch of ----, because the prof was always talking about how we are killing the environment blah blah blah,
Suspicions affirmed.

Quote:
and I did one about lowering the legal drinking age because another prof was always lecturing us about how drinking is evil.
I can _sort of_ agree with that. On the one hand, allowing men and women to enlist at 18 to die but not allowing them a drink seems a bit foolish. On the other, I'd stand on the other end of that argument and say we could just as easily raise the minimum conscription age and smoking age to 21 and call it even.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #16
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DF-DUB
Posts: 640
Total Cats: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Ciesielski View Post
Suspicions affirmed.


I can _sort of_ agree with that. On the one hand, allowing men and women to enlist at 18 to die but not allowing them a drink seems a bit foolish. On the other, I'd stand on the other end of that argument and say we could just as easily raise the minimum conscription age and smoking age to 21 and call it even.
Why 21, whats makes you more suited to drink at 21 than 18, or smoke or fight for that matter.

You'd be surprised at the good amount of data out their that shows a higher drinking age results in more DUIs and injuries due to alcohol. There are alot of good reasons out there for lowering the drinking age, that are backed by good data, besides the if you can die for your country you should be able to drink (Although I think that should be enough).

If I can find the digital copy, Ill post the works cited page, so you can read some of the sources.

I like writing papers like this. The teachers get all butt hurt, but if you write it well, they are hard pressed to find a reason not to give you the grade you deserve.
Opti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #17
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (24)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,074
Total Cats: 253
Default

This is reminds me of 2008 when I asked the President of the college to have the 15 cardboard cutouts of Obama removed from the library and across campus.

I was called ignorant and racist (not by the president, obviously)
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,367
Total Cats: 16
Default

Your college probably banned it after they received complaints from the janitors (and probably others) about people leaving their wads of dip in the water fountains.
ScottFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opti View Post
Why 21, whats makes you more suited to drink at 21 than 18, or smoke or fight for that matter.
I'm not saying there is anything, as I don't subscribe to the opinion that there is a magical age where you're suddenly 'fit' to be held accountable for your actions. My point was that if you're going to arbitrarily assign an age limit, it seems a bit stupid to prioritize going to war and smoking over alcohol as they all pose a serious threat to your health, so why not go higher rather than lower (though i suppose alcohol+driving could pose a threat to others that simply doesn't exist with smoking, not the point though).

Either way, personal responsibility doesn't just *pop* when you turn a certain age.

Quote:
You'd be surprised at the good amount of data out their that shows a higher drinking age results in more DUIs and injuries due to alcohol. There are alot of good reasons out there for lowering the drinking age, that are backed by good data, besides the if you can die for your country you should be able to drink (Although I think that should be enough).

If I can find the digital copy, Ill post the works cited page, so you can read some of the sources.
I doubt I'd be surprised, as I agree with your point. All you have to do is look at anecdotal evidence from European countries to see that a lower drinking age isn't a problem.

Quote:
I like writing papers like this. The teachers get all butt hurt, but if you write it well, they are hard pressed to find a reason not to give you the grade you deserve.
While I share your trolling spirit, ability to argue a point well and have people assign it merit having a good/reasonable point.

Examples:
Hitler
Glen Beck
Jim Jones
Pat Robertson
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,908
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFW View Post
Your college probably banned it after they received complaints from the janitors (and probably others) about people leaving their wads of dip in the water fountains.
Kinda like how someone in a really nice corporate business office walks into a bathroom, pukes in a sink, and walks out like nothing happened and doesnt even bother to even attempt to rinse so of it down the drain.

humans are filth...the suit is a disguise.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track Video & Bluetooth MS3 Questions ofspunk7 General Miata Chat 3 08-31-2015 03:14 PM
nice work mods-this guy got power banned Zabac Insert BS here 5 03-11-2008 03:03 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 PM.