Woman jailed for holding up "SPEED TRAP" sign - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Officer Matthew Davis was involved in that. He is well known around Houston as the traffic officer with the biggest ego. Little story about him:
HPD OFFICER MATTHEW DAVIS SAYS HES JUST DOING HIS JOB!

He will write you tickets and tell you to go to court to fight them, because he gets overtime for showing up to court when those are brought up. He is just a revenue machine and his superiors love him.

More:
HPD still issuing tickets for license plate frames - Houston Chronicle
I'm fighting a Houston ticket for an "obstructed front plate" which is mounted on one side of the bumper rather than the center. The cockfag cop claims that it cannot be on the driver side and can't be read due to not ~5 angle. This is less of an angle and the same position as an Evo, lol. I got it on the Katy Tollway.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

One of my friend in HS did the same thing in a speed trap zone near my HS. He had an old pizza box that he wrote "cop ahead" on and held it up when cars would pass. Eventually another cop went by and pulled over. He booked it out of there and was not caught.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I'm fighting a Houston ticket for an "obstructed front plate" which is mounted on one side of the bumper rather than the center. The cockfag cop claims that it cannot be on the driver side and can't be read due to not ~5 angle. This is less of an angle and the same position as an Evo, lol. I got it on the Katy Tollway.

my ticket for was obstruciton of a driveway. i was not obstructing it, i took a pic and the judge agreed.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
my ticket for was obstruciton of a driveway. i was not obstructing it, i took a pic and the judge agreed.
And you wasted how many hours of your day to try to prove your innocence...
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
Traffic cops really give the profession of law enforcement a bad name.
Cops give cops a bad name in general. Mostly becoming a cop is about the power trip to satisfy their personality disorder and becoming a cop also likely has something to do with the C or D student they were in high school. Only a fraction of what they do on the job is really beneficial to society.

Bob
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
And you wasted how many hours of your day to try to prove your innocence...

had to take 2 hours of personal time and spent a few dollars at rite aid printing pictures. meanwhile she got paid overtime.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
Cops give cops a bad name in general. Mostly becoming a cop is about the power trip to satisfy their personality disorder and becoming a cop also likely has something to do with the C or D student they were in high school. Only a fraction of what they do on the job is really beneficial to society.

Bob
Turning a profit off citations and the penal system in general is an infringement on liberty and tyranny in the most pure sense of the world. Roping someone into a criminal penalties system over license plate decorations and minor technicalities is something the justice department should be involved in as an abuse of power.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,284
Total Cats: 178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
And you wasted how many hours of your day to try to prove your innocence...
Brain's was probably a non-moving violation that did not involve any points, but rising insurance rates and difficulty having future tickets resolved is always worth considering before just admitting guilt and paying the fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
Cops give cops a bad name in general. Mostly becoming a cop is about the power trip to satisfy their personality disorder and becoming a cop also likely has something to do with the C or D student they were in high school. Only a fraction of what they do on the job is really beneficial to society.
Perhaps ironically, I think all the technology that allows cops to be more efficient makes them much more maligned. A couple of decades ago, an officer would "walk the beat" and might stop and chat and you would see the same faces on a regular basis. Now, they sit in their cars, messing around with their laptops and the only time you ever interact with an officer is during a negative encounter.

Edit: And I try to make a distinction between traffic cops and most other types, particularly detectives. "FTC" is specifically designated toward the former. There are worthwhile detectives out there trying to actually serve a positive role in society.
Scrappy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #29
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post
Brain's was probably a non-moving violation that did not involve any points, but rising insurance rates and difficulty having future tickets resolved is always worth considering before just admitting guilt and paying the fine.
hell if I was going to pay $50 for parking were I did everyday for over a year.

she argued in court it was hard for her to turn her truck around at the end of our cul-de-sac and that's why she ticketed me. But that wasn't an option on her little parking device, so I got one for obstruction.

I also had to jump through hoops to get a court date, and every step of the way they warn you that if you lose you have to pay $61 in court fees, making the ticket $111 if I failed to prove my case.

I've never had it so hard to get a parking ticket resolved, and I've probably had at least 10-15 dropped in court/through mail. I've never had to argue with the issuer like I was at a Judge Judy taping for a freaking parking ticket!
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #30
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Turning a profit off citations and the penal system in general is an infringement on liberty and tyranny in the most pure sense of the world. Roping someone into a criminal penalties system over license plate decorations and minor technicalities is something the justice department should be involved in as an abuse of power.
I agree.

Bob
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #31
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Jack View Post


Perhaps ironically, I think all the technology that allows cops to be more efficient makes them much more maligned. A couple of decades ago, an officer would "walk the beat" and might stop and chat and you would see the same faces on a regular basis. Now, they sit in their cars, messing around with their laptops and the only time you ever interact with an officer is during a negative encounter.
Automated photo ticketing machines seem to be the ultimate in ticketing efficiency. And yet when they do set up that highly efficient trap we force them to put up a fixed sign warning that that people are losing liberty and about to be taxed by a form of law enforcement.

If law enforcement becomes a major source of revenue then it will ever become harder for the average person to live their life without being caught being a criminal. Everyone must be a criminal for that system to work.

It is even worse when the profit motivated privite sector gets involved. That is how fascism works.

Bob
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,578
Total Cats: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
It is even worse when the profit motivated privite sector gets involved. That is how fascism works.

Bob
You mean like how my county leases two traffic cameras and I am assuming montoring and support from a private company for $19,000 a month. Heard this on the news the other day and I was pretty disgusted. Tax dollars at work right there. Not that I really blame the company for taking the business. I am much more irritated that they are dedicating so many resources to policing two intersections that are not even overly dangerous, just very busy.
Ryan_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

drones.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #34
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
You mean like how my county leases two traffic cameras and I am assuming montoring and support from a private company for $19,000 a month. Heard this on the news the other day and I was pretty disgusted. Tax dollars at work right there. Not that I really blame the company for taking the business. I am much more irritated that they are dedicating so many resources to policing two intersections that are not even overly dangerous, just very busy.
You would be surprised how much money those automated ticketing companies pay to politicians directly, and for lobbying and propaganda. Hell they were even exposed bombarding online message boards with paid trolls on the subject on many occasions.

Interesting how they can reason an intersection near me that never had a serious injury accident in the last 10 years now generating on average several hundreds of dollars a day in ticket revenue for American Traffic Solutions is making things safer for the community.

American Traffic Solutions is a privately held Venture Capital backed company largely owned by Goldman Sachs.

Bob
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
had to take 2 hours of personal time and spent a few dollars at rite aid printing pictures. meanwhile she got paid overtime.
Shoulda been a cop man, corruption at it's best.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,578
Total Cats: 155
Default

The amount of money thrown at politicians does not suprise me at all because it makes good business sense to do so. The thing that suprises me is that people seem to see this as the business being evil and therefore try to regulate the business as opposed to regulating the politicians. Businesses will adapt however possible to make money. It is the politicians that should be held to the standard of not being influenced by financial gain. People say this is unrealistic and maybe it is but I personally expect politicians to be held to the highest standard. The only standard I hold a business to is the law, nothing more.
Ryan_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #37
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
Shoulda been a cop man, corruption at it's best.
that's why im the admin here! and I also like making a crap ton of money.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #38
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 2,476
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
The amount of money thrown at politicians does not suprise me at all because it makes good business sense to do so. The thing that suprises me is that people seem to see this as the business being evil and therefore try to regulate the business as opposed to regulating the politicians. Businesses will adapt however possible to make money. It is the politicians that should be held to the standard of not being influenced by financial gain. People say this is unrealistic and maybe it is but I personally expect politicians to be held to the highest standard. The only standard I hold a business to is the law, nothing more.
It’s kind of a circular argument. Not all regulation is bad and no regulation is often much worse.

Private companies shouldn’t be allowed to put up private for profit ticketing machines to take from the public with the force of government and law enforcement.

There ought to be a law against that.

Oh no we don’t want any regulation against the free market which would harm business. We can't make a law because that would be regulation.

Well we should elect people to represent the will of the people in government making the rules and implementing the funtions of government if we don’t like how business is behaving or the loss of freedom.

Can’t elect good people to government because they are too corruptible by money.

Right wing supreme court – “Corporations are people” “Money is Speech” You loose.

In this State several city referendums resulted in the public voting out the cameras and some elected officials were also voted out based on this issue.

The courts recently ruled the referendums of the people in this matter were not binding because the cameras were for their own good and the elected officials were the ones to make those decisions. You loose.

Scary times we live in.
bbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #39
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbundy View Post
Automated photo ticketing machines seem to be the ultimate in ticketing efficiency. And yet when they do set up that highly efficient trap we force them to put up a fixed sign warning that that people are losing liberty and about to be taxed by a form of law enforcement.

If law enforcement becomes a major source of revenue then it will ever become harder for the average person to live their life without being caught being a criminal. Everyone must be a criminal for that system to work.

It is even worse when the profit motivated privite sector gets involved. That is how fascism works.

Bob
I'm fine with the private sector getting involved in law enforcement, but the contracts need to be "firm-fixed price" rather than "indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity". This still supports a free market, but does not motivate increased quantities. "Throwing my *** in jail" should not financially benefit any government nor individual.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #40
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I lost the picture back in the iPhone days (good riddance), but I had an image of my car driving through a green light, and a citation for running that light. My only option was arbitration in Arizona which required me to appear in person. lol

Red light cameras are as much of an infringement on my rights as Border Patrol and DUI roadblocks, and I can't believe this nation lets it happen.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 AM.