99/00 Intercooler with AC/PS - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 153
Total Cats: -84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
I don't consider that part of the unibody. Nor do I consider it structural.
Then you have some reading to do.
NBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,342
Total Cats: 78
Default

Removed the picture of what I consider unibody on an mkz. Basically underlying frame rails.

With proper bracing I have no problem drilling holes in sheet metal.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #23
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,159
Total Cats: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
Removed the picture of what I consider unibody on an mkz. Basically underlying frame rails.

With proper bracing I have no problem drilling holes in sheet metal.
Considering that stock NB01 has a hole behind the headlight already I don't think it's too big of a deal. I copied the hole from the drivers side to the passengers side and routed both my charge pipes the same way.







For the record, the blue couplings are almost all gone and I am having new IC charge piping fabricated as we speak with black couplers and powdercoated gunmetal grey piping. It should look fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
99/00 Intercooler with AC/PS-80335d1372025809-chiburbians-2001-ls-parallel-install-holes.jpg   99/00 Intercooler with AC/PS-81720d1373230941-chiburbians-2001-ls-parallel-install-img_0593.jpg  
Chiburbian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 AM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,342
Total Cats: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiburbian View Post
Considering that stock NB01 has a hole behind the headlight already I don't think it's too big of a deal. I copied the hole from the drivers side to the passengers side and routed both my charge pipes the same way.

For the record, the blue couplings are almost all gone and I am having new IC charge piping fabricated as we speak with black couplers and powdercoated gunmetal grey piping. It should look fantastic.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but this hole is only visible with 01+ headlights? The '00 ones cover it up. Otherwise, maybe my CA car is just special, but there is no hole there.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #25
Senior Member
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 1,405
Total Cats: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong, but this hole is only visible with 01+ headlights? The '00 ones cover it up. Otherwise, maybe my CA car is just special, but there is no hole there.
Yeah, the 99-00 headlights cover the hole.
99mx5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #26
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mx5 View Post
Yeah, the 99-00 headlights cover the hole.
So Since I just bought a 99, are the 01+ headlights PNP? Since I know it will be boosted eventually and that looks like the easiest way to run piping I will probably go this route.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #27
Elite Member
 
DNMakinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seneca, SC
Posts: 2,709
Total Cats: 269
Default

The lights will plug in, but will not line up with the bumper cover. To do it right, put in NB2 lights and NB2 bumper cover. So I have read many times and places.
DNMakinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #28
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,159
Total Cats: 131
Default

If I had to do the above I might not have gone that route. I forgot how much a pain the previous generation lights were.

However, many people prefer the NB2 lights so if you can get a bumper cover and lights, color match etc, you may be happier in the long run.

I don't recommend one over the other, I'm just trying to give options.
Chiburbian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #29
Elite Member
 
DNMakinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seneca, SC
Posts: 2,709
Total Cats: 269
Default

The cold side is a piece of cake, and I don't think the hot side is too bad either. Use 2" pipes, or the FM silicone, and you can route it without the cutting of steel, or pulling the fenders.

Nice looking car, by the way. On a trailer, does it run? *EDIT* (asking Lars)

*EDIT* Oops, hijack, sorry OP.
DNMakinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #30
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMakinson View Post
The cold side is a piece of cake, and I don't think the hot side is too bad either. Use 2" pipes, or the FM silicone, and you can route it without the cutting of steel, or pulling the fenders.

Nice looking car, by the way. On a trailer, does it run? *EDIT* (asking Lars)

*EDIT* Oops, hijack, sorry OP.
I believe it has a spun bearing on cylinder 1. It is a 99 with AC/PS/CC, power windows, power mirrors. Right now it is going to be the MKTurbo NB test fitting car. Long term it will probably be boosted and made some sort of DD since it has everything.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,698
Total Cats: 1,563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post

I believe it has a spun bearing on cylinder 1. It is a 99 with AC/PS/CC, power windows, power mirrors. Right now it is going to be the MKTurbo NB test fitting car. Long term it will probably be boosted and made some sort of DD since it has everything.
I'm hoping it's a good car for you. It seemed like a decent deal.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:28 PM   #32
Elite Member
 
Chiburbian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilberts, IL
Posts: 2,159
Total Cats: 131
Default

Delete post
Attached Thumbnails
99/00 Intercooler with AC/PS-129006d1418230532-chiburbians-2001-ls-parallel-install-img_2260.jpg   99/00 Intercooler with AC/PS-129321d1418697858-chiburbians-2001-ls-parallel-install-hotside_3.jpg  

Last edited by Chiburbian; 12-16-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Chiburbian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:40 PM   #33
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,342
Total Cats: 78
Default

So really this guide is only good for 99/00 miatas with newer headlights :/

I have no idea how i'm going to route my 2.5" chode of an intercooler pipe on the hot side.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:03 AM   #34
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,207
Total Cats: 2,587
Default

I already told you that a long long time ago when you asked me via pm
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #35
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,342
Total Cats: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I already told you that a long long time ago when you asked me via pm
The one with the pipes going over the radiator? I assumed that requires an intercooler with top openings.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #36
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,207
Total Cats: 2,587
Default

you could do that.
or just order the couple pipes you need for traditional routing.
or make a hole behind the bloated 99-00 headlight.
or get 01+ headlights.

I really didn't see a good way to route 2.5" piping all the way to the turbo though. Its just too big (what she said)
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #37
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,342
Total Cats: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
you could do that.
or just order the couple pipes you need for traditional routing.
or make a hole behind the bloated 99-00 headlight.
or get 01+ headlights.

I really didn't see a good way to route 2.5" piping all the way to the turbo though. Its just too big (what she said)
I think I'm most likely going to reluctantly go with option 3 (drill hole). We'll see though. Once I get the motor back in I will be able to play with it a little more.
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,207
Total Cats: 2,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNMakinson View Post
The lights will plug in, but will not line up with the bumper cover. To do it right, put in NB2 lights and NB2 bumper cover. So I have read many times and places.
Incorrect: the lights will NOT plug in. Completely different wiring.
But its not hard to re-wire
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #39
Destroyer of Inconel
iTrader: (37)
 
EO2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In ur driveway, abusin' ur WPA
Posts: 9,642
Total Cats: 954
Default

Schuyler: Check this post on 99mx5's build thread about the headlights -> https://www.miataturbo.net/build-thr...6/#post1190276
EO2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #40
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,342
Total Cats: 78
Default

I just bought an expensive, new 99/00 headlight like six months ago, soooo :/
Schuyler is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
why is my car running like pewp? (tune/datalog) itsMikey MSPNP 3 09-28-2015 07:40 AM
Brand New CX Racing Intercooler + Pipes Adam777 Miata parts for sale/trade 6 09-05-2015 10:41 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.