Which ebay Intercooler would you buy? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 6
Total Cats: 0
Default Which ebay Intercooler would you buy?

Hi to all,

which of these two kinds of intercooler would you buy for a greddy (or greddy like) turbo setup? (low psi for around 170 bhp). (mx5 1.6 NBFL, 2001)

1. eBay Motors: Turbo Intercooler 18x12x3 GTi R32 A3 A4 Supra MX5 TT xB (item 290291069169 end time Feb-07-09 18:00:00 PST)

2. eBay Motors: CXRacing INTERCOOLER MIATA RX7 RX8 GTI FMIC 28x5.5x2.5 (item 300285172269 end time Feb-04-09 23:17:00 PST)

TIA!
satriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Atlanta93LE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 2,198
Total Cats: 1
Default

Do you have A/C?
Atlanta93LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,084
Total Cats: 0
Default

I've got the one from the first pic, but from CXracing. I have A/C and it fits fine
mazda/nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

The wide one will fit under the a/c drier can. There's drawbacks to both. The wide one will show a greater pressure drop. The tall one has less than ideal end tank shape and inlet location which will hurt efficiency. Neither are tube and fin - which is preferred if you're trying to retain some air flow to the other exchangers (specifically if you have a/c).
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,084
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
The wide one will fit under the a/c drier can. There's drawbacks to both. The wide one will show a greater pressure drop. The tall one has less than ideal end tank shape and inlet location which will hurt efficiency. Neither are tube and fin - which is preferred if you're trying to retain some air flow to the other exchangers (specifically if you have a/c).
I thought bar/plate gave the best heat dispersion, wouldn't that be the #1 concern in an intercooler, instead of how inefficient it was? The tall one fits fine with my dryer.
mazda/nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

If you're car is overheating due a lack of air flow to a/c condenser and radiator, then that's the priority. But somewhere on here Jason (I think) showed an improvement in all aspects running tube and fin over his old bar and plate. My only point was that the tube and fin allows more air to pass to the other exchangers, which is important to some installs that have typical exchanger stack up front with limited radiator exposure.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
If you're car is overheating due a lack of air flow to a/c condenser and radiator, then that's the priority. But somewhere on here Jason (I think) showed an improvement in all aspects running tube and fin over his old bar and plate. My only point was that the tube and fin allows more air to pass to the other exchangers, which is important to some installs that have typical exchanger stack up front with limited radiator exposure.
Rob; would you happen to have a link to what you call "tube and fin"?

Sorry, as you know, English is my second language
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 6
Total Cats: 0
Default

thanx for the info.
Yes I have A/C and didnt think about the air I would block with these kind of intercoolers.... Since my country is rather "hot" I should keep searching...

thnx again!
satriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satriani View Post

TIA!

Take it in the @$$???


j/k


First off, please go to the Meet and Greet Section in the "Beginners Luck" forum and start a thread introducing yourself and your car.

Please put you location in your profile, and state year model, displacement, and any mods in your signature.

Then try the search function up top as I have seen several intercooler builds and reviews in just the past couple of months.

The CXRacing ones off of eGay tend to be favored for the price. Mine came with a kit, and doesn't even fill half the grill, so I don't have to worry about blocking airflow to the other exchangers.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

there's a lots of info and pics here:
ARE Cooling (Aluminium Radiators & Engineering P/L)
ARE Cooling (Aluminium Radiators & Engineering P/L)

As you can see, it's far more technical that just this or that. But my point was that somebody for a Miata had found improvements for cooling w/o loosing the actual intake air efficiency of the cooler.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 780
Total Cats: 0
Default

I have number 2. While under full boost, my IAT's consistently run about 20 degrees over ambient in the Summer or Winter. To keep the coolant temps down, I modified my stock under tray and bumper support to keep the air flow going through the exchangers and not around it. I didn't have any issues the past Summer with or without the A/C running. In the future, I would like to get a newer FMIC to try and bring down the IAT's a bit, but I am content with what I have at this point.
96rdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
there's a lots of info and pics here:
ARE Cooling (Aluminium Radiators & Engineering P/L)
ARE Cooling (Aluminium Radiators & Engineering P/L)

As you can see, it's far more technical that just this or that. But my point was that somebody for a Miata had found improvements for cooling w/o loosing the actual intake air efficiency of the cooler.
Thanks for that info. I was finding it impossible to use my A/C and that is a no no in this kind of climate. I'm using the Begi IC for the S5 kit and I find it too large for my needs.
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
Mine came with a kit, and doesn't even fill half the grill, so I don't have to worry about blocking airflow to the other exchangers.
I'd like to see a pic of yours when it's installed. I also have the PWR radiator and I'm curious to see how you avoid blocking the airflow. Can your IC be that much smaller than mine?

Thanks
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rdstr View Post
I have number 2. While under full boost, my IAT's consistently run about 20 degrees over ambient in the Summer or Winter. To keep the coolant temps down, I modified my stock under tray and bumper support to keep the air flow going through the exchangers and not around it. I didn't have any issues the past Summer with or without the A/C running. In the future, I would like to get a newer FMIC to try and bring down the IAT's a bit, but I am content with what I have at this point.
Any pics?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words!
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,175
Total Cats: 2,576
Default

Id go with #2 simply because it looks better....call me an idiot, but I cannot STAND the way the tiny ones look. so gay
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Right now Im running a 29x9x3 CXRacing FMIC (bar and plate). Previously I was using an old FM/Begi FMIC (Tube and fin). The old IC was actually better that the one Im using now even though it was smaller. My IAT's didn't change at all with the new one, but because its larger and probably because it's bar and plate my CLT's went up. I wasn't getting enough flow into the radiator. The only reason I changed it was because the old one was just nasty looking.

OLD Vs NEW
Name:  IMG_7299.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  87.0 KB

OLD
Name:  IMG_4356.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  65.7 KB

NEW
Name:  IMG_7300.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  98.5 KB
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,847
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Lev, thanks for that comment, maybe I will mount it after all and ditch my huge 18x12x3 core :P


I do admit, filling the mouth with a shiny new one does look awesome.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 780
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Any pics?

They say a picture is worth a thousand words!
Rafa, I can get you some pics. I have the IC painted black for the sleeper look. Give me a few minutes.
96rdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 780
Total Cats: 0
Default

I don't want to hear **** about the baby teeth. That being said, here are the pics.


PIC 1/2 shows the front radiator/bumper support thing was trimmed to make room for the the intercooler. I kept the stock mounting points for it, and trimmed off just enough of the sides to clear the pipes, but enough to keep the airflow guided through the radiator, not around it.

PIC 3 shows the bottom of the IC and the front shroud that was trimmed. The top of the pic is the front of the car.

PIC 4 is the front right of the engine under tray. The front part was left untouched. You can see the original mounting holes.

PIC 5/6 is the hot side and cold side pipes. The under tray was trimmed liberally in some spots to make clearance.

Last edited by 96rdstr; 02-17-2009 at 01:58 PM.
96rdstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #20
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (16)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: where most people are Utarded
Posts: 1,323
Total Cats: 0
Default

looks very stock, nice!
zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
"Chimney Ethanol" E100 MiataGarage Engine Performance 5 09-30-2015 12:04 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.