I am so close to getting banned again. - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sammamish, Washington
Posts: 1,396
Total Cats: 0
Default

I have a couple plates laying around I don't need.
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopentuning View Post
I have a couple plates laying around I don't need.
I need one, want to hook a bratha up? I can pick it up from you for some $
RusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #23
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sammamish, Washington
Posts: 1,396
Total Cats: 0
Default

You can just have em. Come out and hang with Rob and I sometime.
Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #24
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
who you callin **** suckers?

leave the EGR in place. it does more good than harm.
maybe you missed that.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Flipside customs?
RusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
maybe you missed that.
It's easier to just block it then modify my manifold and make a new pipe. What good does it do exactly?
RusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #27
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 536
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideopentuning View Post
I have a couple plates laying around I don't need.
Sounds good... how do I go about getting these from you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
maybe you missed that.
No I didn't miss it.. I just don't think thats an option. I don't want to modify my HKS manifold.




Title change
PaKMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #28
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,356
Total Cats: 1,322
Default

I used a 7/8" open-ended wrench. It was a bitch and a half. :(
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #29
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 536
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
I used a 7/8" open-ended wrench. It was a bitch and a half. :(
Ya.. that thing didn't want to come off :(
PaKMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #30
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKMaN View Post
No I didn't miss it.. I just don't think thats an option. I don't want to modify my HKS manifold.
So does the HKS not have the fitting? Cuz I didn't see that part.


Anyway, just find some 1/8" aluminum plate and cut it sorta the shape of the other end (flange) and drill the two holes and bam you're done.
Matt
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 73
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusMan View Post
It's easier to just block it then modify my manifold and make a new pipe. What good does it do exactly?
the EGR exhaust gas recirculation does exactaly that, pumps exhaust gas into your intake for better emmisions. it also has some sort of cooling affect to the cylinder also if i remember correctly. but i would assume this is marginal because race cars don't have one and its bad for performance cause you are pumping in already burnt air into the intake, so you are displacing good air with bad air= less power. correct me if i'm wrong here.
guitarrc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 104
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarrc6 View Post
the EGR exhaust gas recirculation does exactaly that, pumps exhaust gas into your intake for better emmisions. it also has some sort of cooling affect to the cylinder also if i remember correctly. but i would assume this is marginal because race cars don't have one and its bad for performance cause you are pumping in already burnt air into the intake, so you are displacing good air with bad air= less power. correct me if i'm wrong here.
A properly set up EGR won't affect power, because it will be closed when you step on it.

The EGR reduces NOx emissions by reducing the combustion temperature when you are just putting around at part throttle. Burnt exhaust gases are introduced with the Air fuel charge, giving the charge the same energy (same amount of fuel and oxygen) wile increasing the mass of the charge. When the charge is ignited, there is more mass, so it does not heat up as much. High combustion temperatures cause more NOx to be formed. It also has a positive effect on fuel economy. The EGR reduces the vacuum of the cylinder under part throttle, reducing some parasitic loss and increasing efficiency.

When you get on the throttle, the EGR should close and everything will be just like normal.
matttheniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 73
Total Cats: 0
Default

i'm not saying that you are wrong, but if you are introducing burnt gasses into the engine then it has to displace something. There just isn't suddenly more room to fit them in. reducing the NOX emissions i can believe though. i also heard that if you did a water injection setup, post cat, and pissed in the container instead of filling it with water it would lower NOX emissions. no joke i read an article that they wanted to start putting these systems on cars because they could run them leaner, but they are afraid that on one would fill up their tank.....i don't see why, everyone's gotta pee at some point
guitarrc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
MS PNP requires reading and following directions??? satisfied MEGAsquirt 141 10-06-2015 11:44 AM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
wiring wideband ground to battery terminal btabor ECUs and Tuning 10 09-28-2015 06:33 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 PM.