Lemons Car: Above trunk mounted turbo - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemons Car: Above trunk mounted turbo

Old 12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
  #21  
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Total Cats: 0
Default

I have a rear mount turbo fitted to a lotus elise, it sits below the sump so requires an electric pump for its return ( weldon ) I also have a mechanical johnson diff oil pump that I intend to use but this requires the camshafts taken out to adapt for a drive , so it will have to wait for its next rebuild
One thing I will add, is do not go cheap on the pump my return is vented to air so the pump is not sucking the turbo dry and if the pump fails the engine will push the oil out into the catch tank then overflow and starve the engine
i do have fail safes to warn me if the pump stops and a small drain from the catch tank back to the sump
I do not like your drain idea at all , will it work on an incline ie long hill ?
sadly imo a good reliable set up is going to cost money but it might save your engine
type49 is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM
  #22  
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,085
Total Cats: 367
Default

Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
OK, explain a cost effective way to circulate the oil. I am all ears, but I can't see it being any cheaper. It would certainly be easier, but I don't think cheaper. I am working off about $150 here total.
Nascar style driveshaft pump.
hustler is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
  #23  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 163
Total Cats: -26
Default

Who says you have "push" the oil?

Can you suck the oil with a vacuum source like the inlet of the turbo?
misfit77 is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Murphy, Tx
Posts: 185
Total Cats: 6
Default

Since we're throwing out mostly useless suggestions:

Take another turbo and mount to the exhaust after the first turbo. Pull off the compressor and attach the shaft through some type of coupler to a vw beetle oil pump mounted to an oil reservoir. Run a pressurized oil line to the wastegate can and use a large bleeder style boost controller to control the oil pressure. Use the pressurized oil to feed both turbos. Using thinner oil and a small oil cooler are recommended.

PS good luck keeping this from blowing up within 5 minutes.
Fidgitk is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 163
Total Cats: -26
Default

isnt that the purpose of the lemon races?...low budget and fun
misfit77 is offline  
Old 12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
  #26  
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,163
Total Cats: 138
Default

Originally Posted by Fidgitk View Post
Since we're throwing out mostly useless suggestions:

Take another turbo and mount to the exhaust after the first turbo. Pull off the compressor and attach the shaft through some type of coupler to a vw beetle oil pump mounted to an oil reservoir. Run a pressurized oil line to the wastegate can and use a large bleeder style boost controller to control the oil pressure. Use the pressurized oil to feed both turbos. Using thinner oil and a small oil cooler are recommended.

PS good luck keeping this from blowing up within 5 minutes.
I bet Robert can figure it out. He is industrious like us Corpus guys, oh wait you moved to Dallas were everyone is lame.
jacob300zx is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Norrahammar, Sweden
Posts: 611
Total Cats: 6
Default

Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
OK, explain a cost effective way to circulate the oil. I am all ears, but I can't see it being any cheaper. It would certainly be easier, but I don't think cheaper. I am working off about $150 here total.
OK. Madness is burning in the brain of Torkel and a truly crazy idea is born. The turbo doesn't need a lot of pressure, right? Can you yank the windshield washer system from a random car at a junk yard? Connect the pump to the turbo and route the outlet back to the tank again? How hot can we expect the oil to get? The pump and tank should be able to handle fairly agressive liquids and the oil will have a length of oil hose to cool of in before it comes back to the tank. The system from the right car can hold quite a lot of fluid at least, so you can fill it up as much as needed to stay resonably cool. Or will the oil from the turbo just get too hot?
Torkel is offline  
Old 12-13-2011, 01:40 PM
  #28  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,676
Total Cats: 119
Default

i think if you put the turbine blades in the oil juice, it can function as a pump to circuilate the oil into the oil feed. does that make sense?
Faeflora is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 AM
  #29  
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,504
Total Cats: 599
Default

Originally Posted by Torkel View Post
OK. Madness is burning in the brain of Torkel and a truly crazy idea is born. The turbo doesn't need a lot of pressure, right? Can you yank the windshield washer system from a random car at a junk yard? Connect the pump to the turbo and route the outlet back to the tank again? How hot can we expect the oil to get? The pump and tank should be able to handle fairly agressive liquids and the oil will have a length of oil hose to cool of in before it comes back to the tank. The system from the right car can hold quite a lot of fluid at least, so you can fill it up as much as needed to stay resonably cool. Or will the oil from the turbo just get too hot?
It would get much too hot. Probably even if it went through an oil cooler before hand. Washer bottle isn't meant to hold up to that kind of heat, especially older junk yard ones. Big potential for disaster if it cracks.
curly is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 AM
  #30  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,676
Total Cats: 119
Default

Why not just put the engine in the trunk of the car.
Faeflora is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM
  #31  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 60
Total Cats: 0
Default

I got it. Put one of those oil barrel pumps in there. Let the driver pump the handle as they go down the straights.
ChrisGriffin is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM
  #32  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,315
Total Cats: 783
Default

I have seen an experiment like this on the miata net forum. Dude blew his motor since he was running bandaids.
triple88a is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
  #33  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,676
Total Cats: 119
Default

Originally Posted by ChrisGriffin View Post
I got it. Put one of those oil barrel pumps in there. Let the driver pump the handle as they go down the straights.
Most sensible answer so far.
Faeflora is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM
  #34  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,417
Total Cats: 20
Default

Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
I have seen an experiment like this on the miata net forum. Dude blew his motor since he was running bandaids.
So it wasn't because of the turbo location, but because of bandaids. The only issue with this is the oil supply and reclamation. Everything else should act close enough to the same that it won't matter much.
rharris19 is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 04:48 PM
  #35  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 75,311
Total Cats: 2,154
Default

Why do you think there's not enough slope from above truck to oil pan?

have turbo drain into a small container, from that run a straight iron pipe back to pan...

I dont see the problem.
Braineack is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:00 PM
  #36  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,417
Total Cats: 20
Default

Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Why do you think there's not enough slope from above truck to oil pan?

have turbo drain into a small container, from that run a straight iron pipe back to pan...

I dont see the problem.
I do think there is enough slope and that will probably be my end result. That's what I said from the beginning, but everyone was acting like it was a horrible idea. I am just examining all options.

I have 2 options of turbos and I will let you guys know tomorrow as soon as I know which one I will be using. Lowes has a goodyear rubber hose rated for oil and high temps that is pretty cheap that I could use on both ends of the iron pipe. Now to find a super long supply line.
rharris19 is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 PM
  #37  
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,024
Total Cats: 118
Default

Why not use a separate oil supply for the turbo? Small electric oil pump (or driveshaft driven), reservoir and oil cooler mounted in the rear bumper. Looks more feasible than relying on a gravity-fed drain line running the length of the car.
Oscar is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 12-14-2011, 05:39 PM
  #38  
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,417
Total Cats: 20
Default

All of that cost money that I don't have to be able to budget toward this. Even though I have almost all my budget left after selling all the parts I needed off the car, I still want to be able to do this for under $150.
rharris19 is offline  
Reply
Leave a poscat -1 Leave a negcat
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM
  #39  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 75,311
Total Cats: 2,154
Default

seriously, I want to see a 6' length of iron pipe from ace hardware. thats all you need. cut whatever is in the way.
Braineack is offline  
Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM
  #40  
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,315
Total Cats: 783
Default

Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
So it wasn't because of the turbo location, but because of bandaids. The only issue with this is the oil supply and reclamation. Everything else should act close enough to the same that it won't matter much.
right i was referring to some one else had already figured out the oil... motor only blew because of the bandaids. Might be worth looking up.
triple88a is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lemons Car: Above trunk mounted turbo


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.