My latest coolant reroute - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #41
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago (Over two miles from Wrigley Field. Fuck the Cubs. Fuck them in their smarmy goat-hole.)
Posts: 26,317
Total Cats: 1,914
Default

Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:20 PM   #42
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

LOL you guys just are not going to let him off the hook, eh?
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #43
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

Can't he feed the turbo coolant off the side of the intake manifold? Or is that an inlet.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #44
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Yeah you can skip that connection on the front entirely and connect the turbo to the outlet of the coolant line for the throttle body. That is how I had it connected after I got rid of the front water neck.
Back of head->oil cooler->throttle body->turbo->mixing manifold
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:51 PM   #45
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default

LOL. I found a local machinst, a guy I already knew but I didnt know he runs a full machine shop... he's making a plate for me. I will probably have him make soms stainless studs for my turbo to mf connection and go that route.
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:23 AM   #46
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12
Total Cats: 0
Default

flyin miata has a kit now, not sure if that helps or not.
mnkypsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #47
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkypsycho View Post
flyin miata has a kit now, not sure if that helps or not.
That is just the M-Tuned kit. I have a full custom reroute, just need to block off the front.
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #48
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default Baller front block off plate

Behold the most baller front block off plate:
Attached Thumbnails
My latest coolant reroute-01072009077.jpg   My latest coolant reroute-01072009078.jpg  
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM   #49
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,105
Total Cats: 518
Default

I still say put a freeze plug in and feed the turbo from the throttle body. If you want to pretty that up a bit, just use a thermostat gasket instead of silicone. That'll avoid all the orange goop.


Oh, and holy overkill batman!
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #50
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookyfish View Post
Behold the most baller front block off plate
And Red Line Water Wetter SuperCoolant to go with it:
Attached Thumbnails
My latest coolant reroute-21072009108.jpg  
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #51
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,848
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

my phone is more baller than yours, but if you know how to use yours, then you win.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Total Cats: 0
Default

I believe your design in the original post is a good one but not the most efficient as it will split the thermal load of the engine, oil cooler and turbo and so to trigger each TS you must provide sufficeint temperature to both which would occur at best a few seconds apart however, more than likely the spacerless reoute TS will open first and because that has the larger fittings (and therefore flow) will be cooled and the coolant in the other section will not reach the critical temperature and so not flow round for quite some time as the heat within the system increases as a whole with a single loop open. Not being a very hands on Turbo person although the theory is fine means I am cannot be sure as to what this will do to your turbo.
You could swap your turbo and oilcooler couplings round which would mean the turbo gets cooling instantly once opened whereas the oil cooler will only come into function once at operating temperature properly.
I say again I do not have the experience but have more than enough theoretical science knowledge. I would believe my diagram below would be the optimal reroute for your situation given parallel looping and thermal load onto a single point.
rrjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #53
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,848
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

I'm sooo tired of seeing reroute diagrams. I also don't like the idea of sending all the coolant through the heater core and not directly to the radiator. You guys can't stop coming up with variations of the same thing can you?

also, the coolant out of the oil cooler and turbo would not be magically cooled :P
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Total Cats: 0
Default

There are many variations yes but there is only one that is most efficient. TBH I think someone should do some datalogging and use the different kits available on the same car to give genuine comparison. Then we would know the best reroute although autox cooling is different from drift cooling (what with the air not going straight in ).

Where is any magic cooling or suggestion of it?
Twin thermostat would create flow variation and differing thermal loads in sections of the original design posted.
rrjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #55
Elite AbsurdFlow Member
 
Laur3ns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Enschede, NL
Posts: 2,058
Total Cats: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
my phone is more baller than yours, but if you know how to use yours, then you win.
It's a SPA962 from Linksys. If you have the right supply channel, it's only marginally more expensive than the less fancy models. Oh, and I had it tftp our company logo, so I win
Laur3ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #56
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjwilson View Post
I believe your design in the original post is a good one but not the most efficient as it will split the thermal load of the engine, oil cooler and turbo and so to trigger each TS you must provide sufficeint temperature to both which would occur at best a few seconds apart however, more than likely the spacerless reoute TS will open first and because that has the larger fittings (and therefore flow) will be cooled and the coolant in the other section will not reach the critical temperature and so not flow round for quite some time as the heat within the system increases as a whole with a single loop open. Not being a very hands on Turbo person although the theory is fine means I am cannot be sure as to what this will do to your turbo.
You could swap your turbo and oilcooler couplings round which would mean the turbo gets cooling instantly once opened whereas the oil cooler will only come into function once at operating temperature properly.
I say again I do not have the experience but have more than enough theoretical science knowledge. I would believe my diagram below would be the optimal reroute for your situation given parallel looping and thermal load onto a single point.
- All flow through the heater core is no good. The lines are not nearly large enough and will restrict the flow through the radiator. On the track, probable death by overheating.
- I'll say it again... There is always flow through the oil cooler and the turbo. Always. The branches for those happen BEFORE the t-stat plates in both cases.
- I have a cooler thermostat in the circuit for the heater core. That means it will open first, before the larger main branch. The idea is to bias the flow through the heater core so that it will warm up the cabin for a DD. You know, so the driver is kept comfortable during these harsh South Texas winters
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 118
Total Cats: 0
Default

Using a lower TS at the rear is a very good idea kinda wish I'd thought of it.

Here is my question though. Apparently you've said it twice now but the flow through the oil cooler and turbo which is always there? Isn't it stopped by the two TSs you are using until they are open because otherwise the TS are actually doing nothing. The TS opens allowing flow from white to blue and the joining hose from heater core to oil cooler TS will only flow once both TSs are open. I know this seems silly to you but I can't wrap my head around it.

As I see it you have three stages of cooling in the system with your design (shown in the picture below). Arrows indicate flow therefore no arrow means no flow. The line between heatercore will be presurised but wont flow anything until the TS opens so the turbo won't get flow as the turbo feeds the stat and so does the heater core (2 ins 0 out = no flow, 2 ins 1 out = flow)

Last edited by rrjwilson; 07-21-2009 at 11:45 AM.
rrjwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #58
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

I don't know anything about reroutes other than what I have read here on MT.net. In an ideal world, there would be no heater core and all water would go through the head and back to the rad right?

If so, what is the option for a two postion valve on the infeed line to the heater core? Switch it to bypass on the track days so coolant still flows through the lines to keep the thermostat happy but doesn't see the heater core. Reposition it to the other position and it would be like a normal reroute but still flows through the heater core for a DD car. If you want to be really baller, you could rig it to be cable actuated in the cockpit. (Or forgetful and can switch it on track when you forget to do it in the paddock like I would.)

The rest of the reroute would be the "standard" reroute.

Or, tell the NOOB to shut up and stick with things that he has a clue about.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:18 PM   #59
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,889
Total Cats: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjwilson View Post
Using a lower TS at the rear is a very good idea kinda wish I'd thought of it.

Here is my question though. Apparently you've said it twice now but the flow through the oil cooler and turbo which is always there? Isn't it stopped by the two TSs you are using until they are open because otherwise the TS are actually doing nothing. The TS opens allowing flow from white to blue and the joining hose from heater core to oil cooler TS will only flow once both TSs are open. I know this seems silly to you but I can't wrap my head around it.

As I see it you have three stages of cooling in the system with your design (shown in the picture below). Arrows indicate flow therefore no arrow means no flow. The line between heatercore will be presurised but wont flow anything until the TS opens so the turbo won't get flow as the turbo feeds the stat and so does the heater core (2 ins 0 out = no flow, 2 ins 1 out = flow)
Sorry man but the flow through the oil cooler and turbo on your diagrams is all wrong.
ZX-Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #60
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,848
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-Tex View Post
Sorry man but the flow through the oil cooler and turbo on your diagrams is all wrong.


they are beyond wrong. He learned fluid dynamics from the Hyper School of Fail. And furthermore, stop illustrating the lines out of the cooler and turbo as blue, they are not cold lines, they are even hotter than before.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSPNPPro-MM0105: Coolant Temperature Output slomiata MEGAsquirt 5 10-07-2015 02:11 PM
Is my swirl pot design okay? FrankB Race Prep 10 10-02-2015 10:00 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
WTB parts for HPDE car Voltwings WTB 5 09-11-2015 09:23 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 AM.