New Manifold and DP - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #41
Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,310
Total Cats: 2
Default

Shoot I'm jealous....
p51hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #42
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
Me too, I wish I could be there :(

So i've got a couple of questions. Phil wants the downpipe to extend past where the stock cat is but I haven't had a cat or a stock exhaust in my car for quite some time. Can anyone give me a reference point under the car (on a 1.6) as to the location of the cat so I can extend the downpipe to that point?

Also, Phil where is your WB02 located? I can put the bung where is convenient. I have mine hanging down from the shifter turret but it just has enough slack in the harness to plug into only one spot on the downpipe. Not sure if yours is near that or in the same place.


I have my WBO2 in the same place and I'm pretty sure that in a stock setup the flange for the cat would extend just a few inches past that point. Can anyone confirm?
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #43
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

That is where the first flange would start. Didn't you want this to extend all the way past the stock cat so you could remove it? Other wise I think its pretty much long enough as is.

I haven't made any progress on it today. Our OTM needed some major attention today so i've been working on it since its the girl's DD. I think the mani/dp should be shipping monday though baring any unforeseen circumcisions.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #44
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
That is where the first flange would start. Didn't you want this to extend all the way past the stock cat so you could remove it? Other wise I think its pretty much long enough as is.

I haven't made any progress on it today. Our OTM needed some major attention today so i've been working on it since its the girl's DD. I think the mani/dp should be shipping monday though baring any unforeseen circumcisions.


That's perfect, when I had my exhaust made I had it made to mate right up to the dp.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #45
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Well i've got the downpipe all done and tacked up. Its got a lot of straight pipe after the flex so you'll have plenty to work with however you decide to have it mated to your exhaust. I'm really really happy with how it fits compared to my downpipe.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #46
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
Well i've got the downpipe all done and tacked up. Its got a lot of straight pipe after the flex so you'll have plenty to work with however you decide to have it mated to your exhaust. I'm really really happy with how it fits compared to my downpipe.
YAY!!!!!!!! Im next!!!!!!!!!!!!!
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #47
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Some finished pics.

Name:  DSC01839.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  173.8 KB
Name:  DSC01840.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  182.3 KB
Name:  DSC01841.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  88.4 KB
Name:  DSC01842.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  121.7 KB
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #48
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gainesville,Fl
Posts: 3,354
Total Cats: 7
Default

They Darth Vader of Manifolds and Dps. Well done.
turotufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #49
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
Some finished pics.





******* SWEEEETT! What did you paint it with?
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #50
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
tyson87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,023
Total Cats: 1
Default

gangsta... next day air?
tyson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levnubhin View Post
******* SWEEEETT! What did you paint it with?
Its 1200 degree bbq paint. They were out of the 2000 degree stuff so this isn't going to last forever but I just cant justify ceramic coating a budget manifold like this. Be careful installing it as it will flake off fairly easily til it gets some heat in it to cure it.

By the way, I didn't get it shipped tonight afterall. My girlfriend took the integra and there is no way in hell this fits in my miata. Goin out tomorrow morning.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #52
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson87 View Post
gangsta... next day air?
If you pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
Its 1200 degree bbq paint. They were out of the 2000 degree stuff so this isn't going to last forever but I just cant justify ceramic coating a budget manifold like this. Be careful installing it as it will flake off fairly easily til it gets some heat in it to cure it.

By the way, I didn't get it shipped tonight afterall. My girlfriend took the integra and there is no way in hell this fits in my miata. Goin out tomorrow morning.

No problem man.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #53
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
tyson87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,023
Total Cats: 1
Default

get this on before monday!
tyson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #54
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (30)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 7,282
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson87 View Post
get this on before monday!
I highly doubt it will be here in time.
__________________
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
levnubhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #55
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jax, Fl
Posts: 907
Total Cats: 0
Default

Everything looks good. I didn't get any pretty black paint on my stuff:( It should be in in time. I think my stuff took 3 days to come in to Jax from him.
johnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #56
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

now, on to mine or insta-ban!
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #57
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmatt View Post
Everything looks good. I didn't get any pretty black paint on my stuff:( It should be in in time. I think my stuff took 3 days to come in to Jax from him.
Ya I know. After seeing how good this looks after paint I really wish I had hit yours with it. Its cheap though, 5 dollars for a can of High temp paint. I highly recommend you do it.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #58
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
now, on to mine or insta-ban!
Get in line son.
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #59
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,052
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
Ya I know. After seeing how good this looks after paint I really wish I had hit yours with it. Its cheap though, 5 dollars for a can of High temp paint. I highly recommend you do it.
You don't think the paint is going to flake off after just a few hours of use?

Have you had good luck with BBQ paint on manifolds?

I painted my heat-shield with some and it did fine on that but the heat shield wasn't seeing quite the same temperatures as the manifold...

Last edited by Efini~FC3S; 03-10-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: grammar fail
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #60
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini~FC3S View Post
You don't think the paint is going to flake off after just a few hours of use?

Have you had good luck with BBQ paint on manifolds?

I painted my heat-shield with some and it did fine on that but the heat shield wasn't seeing quite the same temperatures as the manifold...
Well its rated to 1200 degrees. It will flake off easily til it sees some heat but after that I'd say it should last a thousand miles or so on the manifold. It most certainly is not going to last forever, its just rattle can paint no matter how you look at it.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
Another Cast Manifold Corky Bell Prefabbed Turbo Kits 18 11-22-2016 10:01 PM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 PM.