DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 1.8NA help

 
Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 AM
  #1  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default Turbo 1.8NA help

Hey everyone,
Wondering how much boost is safe with a 1.8 NA engine without a massive rebuild? Would be cool to hear what everyone runs, what turbo how much boost etc. I am dailying it so i need reliability. 160xxx ks on the car, 5 speed manual and torsion LSD.
Raspberry is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 05:53 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Germany/Paderborn
Posts: 91
Total Cats: 9
Default

GTX3076, 25 psi, head is lifting a bit, but other than that it's 100% safe!

Never seen this question on here...
der_vierte is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 06:22 AM
  #3  
Junior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 146
Total Cats: -3
Default

Great first post. How much boost? Allofit. When I boost I usually like to run roughly enough, but sometimes you need to and run a little bit extra. So that is about how much I would typically recommend to use at 160xxx ks.

Seriously though there's great information in the DIY Turbo Section. This post is a good place in particular for you to start. https://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo...b-miata-93402/

The first toward boosting your car is to make sure the engine you've got is healthy. Make sure you've got good compression numbers and nothing else majorly wrong. Then and only then buy quality turbo parts. Bonus points if you make an intro thread and have cat pics.
festersays is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 AM
  #4  
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 3
Total Cats: 0
Default

Originally Posted by festersays View Post
Great first post. How much boost? Allofit. When I boost I usually like to run roughly enough, but sometimes you need to and run a little bit extra. So that is about how much I would typically recommend to use at 160xxx ks.

Seriously though there's great information in the DIY Turbo Section. This post is a good place in particular for you to start. https://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo...b-miata-93402/

The first toward boosting your car is to make sure the engine you've got is healthy. Make sure you've got good compression numbers and nothing else majorly wrong. Then and only then buy quality turbo parts. Bonus points if you make an intro thread and have cat pics.
Ok cheers for the info
Raspberry is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 07:13 AM
  #5  
Moderator
iTrader: (12)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 18,902
Total Cats: 2,363
Default

The first upgrade you will require is another vehicle to daily. I'm not joking.
sixshooter is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 12:27 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area- East Bay
Posts: 489
Total Cats: 10
Default

Wow you must have done a ton of research..
brainzata is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 05:26 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 173
Total Cats: -14
Default

Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
The first upgrade you will require is another vehicle to daily. I'm not joking.
If someone does enough research beforehand, installing a full and proper diy kit is an 8 hour task. Upgrading to megasquirt and having a stable tune is the same story.
But if youre going to keep going down the "spoonfeedmepls" path this thread insinuates, a second car is a 100% must
WigglingWaffles is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 07:57 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,195
Total Cats: 145
Default

Originally Posted by WigglingWaffles View Post
If someone does enough research beforehand, installing a full and proper diy kit is an 8 hour task. Upgrading to megasquirt and having a stable tune is the same story.
But if youre going to keep going down the "spoonfeedmepls" path this thread insinuates, a second car is a 100% must
no way no how can you take a stock miata and install all the hard parts in 8 hours on jackstands with typical hobby mechanic home owner tools.

i have been messing with 3 turbo miatas, 4 different turbo setups, assembled one car turbo setup from scratch on a stock car, rebuilt my motor in my latest nb2 etc...

and even now, no way can i do a full stock to turbo swap in 8 hours. more like 20.

i guess a professional mechanic that knows turbo miatas, with a shop, lift and assistant can get it done. MAYBE

but you are correct, with proper research things will go much smoother and faster.

hell, as a noob, i turbo'ed my first miata solely from reading this forums, other peoples build threads and referencing flyin miata install instructions.
borka is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Shifto
Miata parts for sale/trade
6
06-05-2017 02:04 PM
AnotherDamnMiata
DIY Turbo Discussion
26
11-19-2015 11:34 PM
Alkoran
DIY Turbo Discussion
6
12-19-2010 01:09 PM
musanovic
DIY Turbo Discussion
17
01-13-2008 10:46 PM
SKMetalworks
MEGAsquirt
52
06-10-2007 01:48 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo 1.8NA help


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.