Is this turbo a good size for 8 lbs.? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


DIY Turbo Discussion greddy on a 1.8? homebrew kit?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default Is this turbo a good size for 8 lbs.?

Thinking about running a turbo this size.

Inlet 3"
Outlet 2"
Bearing Wet Floating Bearings
Oil Inlet 1/8 NPT Oil Inlet
Flange Standard T3/T4 Flange
Compressor .50 A/R Compressor
Turbine .63 A/R Turbine
Hot Side 2.5" v-band
Fits T3 and T3/T4 Manifolds


Brian.
ILUVMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Seems abit large but wait a sec and some garret experts will chime in.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,145
Total Cats: 0
Default

What size is the compressor or tubine? Although good A/R on the turbine. So far i see nothing wrong.
Loki047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMX5 View Post
Thinking about running a turbo this size.

Inlet 3"
Outlet 2"
Bearing Wet Floating Bearings
Oil Inlet 1/8 NPT Oil Inlet
Flange Standard T3/T4 Flange
Compressor .50 A/R Compressor
Turbine .63 A/R Turbine
Hot Side 2.5" v-band
Fits T3 and T3/T4 Manifolds


Brian.
Ok, you are gonna buy an ebay turbo...

Get this one, or one that looks EXACTLY like it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T04E-...spagenameZWDVW

These have been run by a few people and so far have been known good units.

YMMV.

At 10 PSI with this turbo your Miata will make ~250 RWHP. Spools a little late, but it's a SICK *** turbo that will make the car run hard.

Yes, I have this turbo.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post

Get this one, or one that looks EXACTLY like it:
Spools a little late, but it's a SICK *** turbo that will make the car run hard.

Yes, I have this turbo.

Mark
Hey Mark, what's a little late?

Thanks


Rafa
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,145
Total Cats: 0
Default

What RPM it reaches full boost
Loki047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
What RPM it reaches full boost
i would also like to know. I don't have built internals. I only want to run it within safe PSI range since this is my DD. Did a serach and it seems like the B6 can run 10psi fairly conventionally with a piggyback but for now i want 8lbs. since I can't afford a MSPNP yet and will be running a FPR. Seems like a nice turbo though and external WG is a plus to me.

Brian.
ILUVMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMX5 View Post
i would also like to know. I don't have built internals. I only want to run it within safe PSI range since this is my DD. Did a serach and it seems like the B6 can run 10psi fairly conventionally with a piggyback but for now i want 8lbs. since I can't afford a MSPNP yet and will be running a FPR. Seems like a nice turbo though and external WG is a plus to me.

Brian.
I'm in Brian's boat; stock internals and looking for no Knock.

I disagree with you Brian only in the number of psi. I think 10psi on a piggyback is a recipe for disaster. I would be cautious about trying to push farther than 6 psi with bandaids. But then again, I'm most probably wrong! :gay:

Rafa
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,145
Total Cats: 0
Default

Brian, i was just interpretating what Markp said for Rafa.
Loki047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki047 View Post
Brian, i was just interpretating what Markp said for Rafa.
Loki, I figured that much but this time I did get it. I do want to know where in the RPM range will that turbo spool. I complained the other day about my own turbo spooling a little late to Chad on a pm. I also saw mikef85 post the other day about problems with his turbo and I'm seriously contemplating buying the one Mark pointed to for a spare. The turbo would be one spare I'd rather have in my house just in case. I checked around for local turbo prices and they're insane!

Thanks

Rafa
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Hey Mark, what's a little late?

Thanks


Rafa
Depends what gear you are in... In 5th (6th with the 6 speed), somewhere around 4000 RPM, in 1st or 2nd somewhere between 4500-5000 RPM, 3rd and 4th around 4500 RPM.

That was with the timing not optimized for spool on a 1.8 liter motor.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
Depends what gear you are in... In 5th (6th with the 6 speed), somewhere around 4000 RPM, in 1st or 2nd somewhere between 4500-5000 RPM, 3rd and 4th around 4500 RPM.

That was with the timing not optimized for spool on a 1.8 liter motor.

Mark
****, I just learned something :gay: so boost comes in earlier the higher the gear? Anyone care to explain why is this so?

Mark; what kind of a difference in spooling can I expect given that my motor is bone stock while yours is not? BTW, I've got a 5 speed. (96).

FWIW, I haven't really tried to spool my turbo in 5th since i turboed my car. It's still running kind of crappy (too rich and not yet properly tuned). I did find my turbo spooling earlier in 1st and 2nd after they ported the head.

Thanks,

Rafa
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

BTW, my apologies Brian for hijacking your thread. I figured we're both looking for the same answers.

Rafa
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #14
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
BTW, my apologies Brian for hijacking your thread. I figured we're both looking for the same answers.

Rafa
It's no problem i just learned something new too.


Brian
ILUVMX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Rafa. The turbo spools earlier becouse there is more laod on the car generating more exhaust flow and moving things around better,
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
****, I just learned something :gay: so boost comes in earlier the higher the gear? Anyone care to explain why is this so?

Mark; what kind of a difference in spooling can I expect given that my motor is bone stock while yours is not? BTW, I've got a 5 speed. (96).

FWIW, I haven't really tried to spool my turbo in 5th since i turboed my car. It's still running kind of crappy (too rich and not yet properly tuned). I did find my turbo spooling earlier in 1st and 2nd after they ported the head.

Thanks,

Rafa
I can't give you the scientific explanation but it has to do with load.

My motor is close enough to stock in compression, cams, and displacement not to much matter. The head is not ported either.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markp View Post
I can't give you the scientific explanation but it has to do with load.

My motor is close enough to stock in compression, cams, and displacement not to much matter. The head is not ported either.

Mark
Thanks Mark; btw, if you happened to give me the scientific explanation it would just fly over my head :gay: Me=simpleton.

One question though: you say your head is not ported but you rev up to 7,500 RPMs; you get there by only changing the valve springs? I was also under the impression that you had a 99 head; I'm I mistaken?

Sorry for the dumb questions

And Magna, many thanks

Rafa
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,257
Total Cats: 3
Default

Sorry Mark I just saw your 99 sig.

Rafa
Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,379
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
Thanks Mark; btw, if you happened to give me the scientific explanation it would just fly over my head :gay: Me=simpleton.

One question though: you say your head is not ported but you rev up to 7,500 RPMs; you get there by only changing the valve springs? I was also under the impression that you had a 99 head; I'm I mistaken?

Sorry for the dumb questions

And Magna, many thanks

Rafa
Actually, I pull all the way out to 8500 RPM. Shim under buckets, new valve springs and Ti retainers and locks. Yes, it's a stock '99 head with stock valves and stock cams. No cam gears yet.

Mark
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TTE Build - Help me pick tires chrisn Race Prep 27 10-16-2015 06:12 PM
Headphones PaperMate Insert BS here 32 09-25-2015 09:22 AM
MT detectives, help me ID my old POS turbo AlwaysBroken DIY Turbo Discussion 3 09-21-2015 02:44 AM
FM 1.8 Mani, Test Pipe, HP+, Injectors Chooofoojoo Miata parts for sale/trade 6 09-13-2015 11:01 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.