Picked up a 1990 Greddy turbo'd Miata this morning - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2008, 03:14 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 37
Total Cats: 0
Default Picked up a 1990 Greddy turbo'd Miata this morning

Had a Miata shop check it out and threw it on the dyno. I'm itching to mod it already. Picked it up with the intent of it being my track car.
Attached Thumbnails
Picked up a 1990 Greddy turbo'd Miata this morning-teddy-greddy-stk.jpg  
BoostTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,172
Total Cats: 5
Default

Mods:

Decent engine management (Megasquirt with wideband O2) 400-800 (depends on DIY, PnP, etc)
2.5" Downpipe (I paid...150 for my racing mazda, plus 35 for a flex joint)
Exhaust (I paid 125 for my mandrel 2.5")
injectors (160 in 550cc, freshly cleaned)
custom fmic (less than 200 bucks in mine...used is sick)

And you can make 100 more HP easy.


Go for it! I just wish mine ran! lol :(
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #3
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 37
Total Cats: 0
Default

Yea I plan on doing all that soon enough. Plan on getting new suspension put on it next week, then the roll bar then new brake pads and tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamania View Post
Mods:

Decent engine management (Megasquirt with wideband O2) 400-800 (depends on DIY, PnP, etc)
2.5" Downpipe (I paid...150 for my racing mazda, plus 35 for a flex joint)
Exhaust (I paid 125 for my mandrel 2.5")
injectors (160 in 550cc, freshly cleaned)
custom fmic (less than 200 bucks in mine...used is sick)

And you can make 100 more HP easy.


Go for it! I just wish mine ran! lol :(
BoostTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,841
Total Cats: 0
Default

If you have some sort of timming retard device, put a manual boost controller on it and turn it to 7psi. Instant goodies.
I like 6 on the stock clutch. 7 is pushing it.
Toddcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 37
Total Cats: 0
Default

I totally forgot Miata's dont have a low fuel light. Engine died right as I was pulling out of my driveway.
BoostTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

hey did you buy yours in Long Beach? The red one? If so, I went to look at it.
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamania View Post
Mods:

Decent engine management (Megasquirt with wideband O2) 400-800 (depends on DIY, PnP, etc)
2.5" Downpipe (I paid...150 for my racing mazda, plus 35 for a flex joint)
Exhaust (I paid 125 for my mandrel 2.5")
injectors (160 in 550cc, freshly cleaned)
custom fmic (less than 200 bucks in mine...used is sick)

And you can make 100 more HP easy.


Go for it! I just wish mine ran! lol :(
Hey, where can I find 550cc injectors for $160? TIA!
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:12 AM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
turbobluemiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 1,019
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
Hey, where can I find 550cc injectors for $160? TIA!
rx7club.com

its been posted more than once
turbobluemiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,378
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostTed View Post
I totally forgot Miata's dont have a low fuel light. Engine died right as I was pulling out of my driveway.
I'm seriously considering getting a real fuel gauge at some point. Namely the first half takes 200 miles, then the last half of the stock gauge takes only 60 or so. Then you have no light.
naarleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 AM   #10
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 37
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
hey did you buy yours in Long Beach? The red one? If so, I went to look at it.

Yea that was the one.
BoostTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostTed View Post
Yea that was the one.
right on man, I was still unsure at the time whether I wanted a miata. I test drove it and it felt pretty good. Anyway, I just bought a 91 a couple of days ago, picked it up for a pretty good deal, so now I just gotta boost it on my own.
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:41 AM   #12
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 37
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
right on man, I was still unsure at the time whether I wanted a miata. I test drove it and it felt pretty good. Anyway, I just bought a 91 a couple of days ago, picked it up for a pretty good deal, so now I just gotta boost it on my own.
What kind of deal did you end up getting? For around the same price as I paid for this one, there wasnt much out there that was worth getting. The owner of mine really wanted to get rid of it so he dropped a lot on the price.
BoostTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 27
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostTed View Post
What kind of deal did you end up getting? For around the same price as I paid for this one, there wasnt much out there that was worth getting. The owner of mine really wanted to get rid of it so he dropped a lot on the price.
Yeah the owner really dropped the price. that's why I went out to look at it.

I got a pretty sweet deal...lucked out, although I spent forever looking for one, got so sick and tire of looking. Was regretting not buying the turbo one lol...wasted a lot of time. You're right most people were demanding so much money for it. some guy is still posting a 91 for 4500 or 5000 on cl lol

91 with hard top 140k. Racing beat, sways, adjustable links, springs, koni's struts, racing beat wing(dont' really care for), front and rear braces, set of rota GT3's 15x7 with pretty worn azenis, headers, exhaust, momo steering wheel. Pretty long list. It was a weird deal, but it pulled through.

The owner just spent like 1200 on new timing belt, water pump, seals, headgasket, radiator, cuz it overheated, after it's fixed, it seems fine. and it came with the following parts. He didn't even list all this good stuff on the ad, he wasn't really familiar with the car.

for 1700

But it's not the prettiest car though, paint peeling a lot, and the guy had put a lot of white stickers on there to cover it up.
lazybummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Posts: 37
Total Cats: 0
Default

Yea there were some people asking way too much out there. Sounds like you got a good deal. More than half the stuff you listed is on my list of stuff to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybummm View Post
Yeah the owner really dropped the price. that's why I went out to look at it.

I got a pretty sweet deal...lucked out, although I spent forever looking for one, got so sick and tire of looking. Was regretting not buying the turbo one lol...wasted a lot of time. You're right most people were demanding so much money for it. some guy is still posting a 91 for 4500 or 5000 on cl lol

91 with hard top 140k. Racing beat, sways, adjustable links, springs, koni's struts, racing beat wing(dont' really care for), front and rear braces, set of rota GT3's 15x7 with pretty worn azenis, headers, exhaust, momo steering wheel. Pretty long list. It was a weird deal, but it pulled through.

The owner just spent like 1200 on new timing belt, water pump, seals, headgasket, radiator, cuz it overheated, after it's fixed, it seems fine. and it came with the following parts. He didn't even list all this good stuff on the ad, he wasn't really familiar with the car.

for 1700

But it's not the prettiest car though, paint peeling a lot, and the guy had put a lot of white stickers on there to cover it up.
BoostTed is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TunerStudio timining issue - 90 Miata 1.6 Turbo spec1sef MEGAsquirt 28 05-09-2017 08:03 AM
MS PNP requires reading and following directions??? satisfied MEGAsquirt 141 10-06-2015 11:44 AM
WTB T25/T28 flanged turbo ASAP JesseTheNoob WTB 4 09-11-2015 02:25 PM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 PM.