Car wont start! Help! - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #61
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,865
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94LagunaR View Post
Getting no power to the injectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
is your fuel injector harness even plugged in?

the white/red 12v wires for the injectors are shared with the CAS and other components, like the ECU, powered directly from the MAIN relay. So if the CAS and ECU is working...

do you have 12v on the B+ in the diagnostics box?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94LagunaR View Post
Braineack wanted me to check B+. To clarify im getting 11.7 at B+ and 0 at the injectors.
do you understand why?

you said you had no power at the injectors, but power at the CAS and diagnostics box. If that's really the case, then you need to power your injectors in order for them to fire.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #62
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
do you understand why?

you said you had no power at the injectors, but power at the CAS and diagnostics box. If that's really the case, then you need to power your injectors in order for them to fire.
Okay, so basically i need to follow the red/white wire to the ecu to check for breaks, and also to the CAS and and Mass Airflow sensor? Or since I am getting power to the CAS then there is not a break in the wire between the injectors and CAS/ MAF?
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #63
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,865
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

Did you actually test for voltage at the injectors on the white/red wire?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #64
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 192
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94LagunaR View Post
Okay, so basically i need to follow the red/white wire to the ecu to check for breaks, and also to the CAS and and Mass Airflow sensor? Or since I am getting power to the CAS then there is not a break in the wire between the injectors and CAS/ MAF?
sorta. Brain's the better resource, but the ecu switches the ground side of the injectors, NOT the power side. The injectors have 12v on them all the time, and the ecu connects the other wire to ground when it wants the injectors to fire. Red/white sounds like a power wire, not a ground, but I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me.
tpwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #65
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,865
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

noggin, using it.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #66
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Did you actually test for voltage at the injectors on the white/red wire?
Well I connected the multimeter one side to the white/red and the other to the other wire on the injector harness for each injector. I wasn't sure if this was the proper way to test them so i put one on the white/red and the other on bare frame. Either way I got 0v, but which way is correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpwalsh View Post
sorta. Brain's the better resource, but the ecu switches the ground side of the injectors, NOT the power side. The injectors have 12v on them all the time, and the ecu connects the other wire to ground when it wants the injectors to fire. Red/white sounds like a power wire, not a ground, but I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me.
All injectors have the white/red wire and they all connect to the same pin on the ecu. Each one has another wire which connects to its own seperate pin on the ecu. Info via: http://www.madracki.com/miata/images/wiring/94sys.pdf
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #67
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,865
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

no. put the black lead to the head or something, any engine ground, and with the key to ON, unplug an injector and test the red/white wire side of the connector with the red lead for voltage.

if you have voltage, then the issue is probably the signal back to the ECU.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #68
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
no. put the black lead to the head or something, any engine ground, and with the key to ON, unplug an injector and test the red/white wire side of the connector with the red lead for voltage.

if you have voltage, then the issue is probably the signal back to the ECU.
Okay I have voltage. 11.7v to each one
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #69
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,865
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

okay.

so the injectors have power, you get spark, but we're pretty sure the injectors aren't firing?

and the pump at this point IS running?


(please bear in mind that doing this over the internet with little to go on is hard. Trying to narrow things down here.)
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #70
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
okay.

so the injectors have power, you get spark, but we're pretty sure the injectors aren't firing?

and the pump at this point IS running?
Correct
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #71
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,865
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

hmmmm....


what happens if you unplug the TPS and try to start it?


and we are positive the fuel lines are crossed or something?


next thing I'd try is making sure the 4 wires from the injectors make it all the way back to the ECU.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #72
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
hmmmm....


what happens if you unplug the TPS and try to start it?


and we are positive the fuel lines are crossed or something?


next thing I'd try is making sure the 4 wires from the injectors make it all the way back to the ECU.
With tps unplugged, same symptoms. Cranks but doesn't fire. Fuel feed line is going into the front of the rail, return like coming out of the fpr. If the fpr is bad what would be indicative? Are there any symptoms? I figure it would restrict the return flow. If, for example, the injectors themself are bad, but the regulator is good, would the flow out of the return line be the same rate as the flow into the rail?
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #73
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,865
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

which hardline goes to the front of rail? closest to firewall or radiator?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #74
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
which hardline goes to the front of rail? closest to firewall or radiator?
Firewall
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #75
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,865
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

have gas in tank? lol.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #76
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
have gas in tank? lol.
Lol yes. Can I just get a megasquirt and everything will be fixed?
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #77
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default

Is the ECU, coil pack, and several other ground wires bolted to the back of the intake manifold near egr? Are there any other grounds in the "rear of engine"? In the wiring diagram I linked, on page 8, it shows 3 different grounds to the "rear of engine" and on page 9 it shows 3 wires to a connector that go to 1 wire that grounds at the "right rear of engine". I can only find the 1 ground at the back of the intake manifold. Are there others?

Last edited by 94LagunaR; 04-12-2013 at 04:51 PM.
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #78
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,132
Total Cats: 187
Default

1 ground at the bolt which supports the dipstick tube.

1 ground at the front of the engine to the mechanics right of the throttle body and slightly below.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #79
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 155
Total Cats: 1
Default



Is this the cause of my problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Car wont start! Help!-2013-04-12175326_zps8bebba54.jpg  
94LagunaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #80
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,325
Total Cats: 235
Default

If it's not, I'd wager it's the cause of another problem you haven't discovered yet.
thenuge26 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
Help multi issues here! ReallyRottenTurbo MEGAsquirt 4 09-22-2015 01:49 PM
ms2e No Rpm Signal Dobzeh ECUs and Tuning 5 09-17-2015 03:56 PM
Twitchy car (tail happy problem) bigben Race Prep 16 09-11-2015 04:41 PM
Grinding into 5th and coasting shanesauce General Miata Chat 1 09-06-2015 09:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.