Could it be in the tune? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default Could it be in the tune?

I recently picked up a Dprepared Miata for autocross. It's a 93 with a 94 1.8l. The motor has been built and has a stand alone megasquirt ecu.

Details
combustion chambers have been polish.
Ports polished and gasket matched.
s/s Supertech valves with stiffer springs, not oversized
stock cams.
Block was decked .015
crank balanced
Eagle h-beam rods with ACL race bearings.
Mazda 2001 pistons.
Stock lifters
3 angle valve job

It has a upgraded fuel pump, ss lines, a custom fuel rail and NB rebuilt injectors.

The dyno plot I saw showed 140whp and 123 tq. But doesn't that seem a bit low for the modifications? I still have a few questions for the previous owner that he hasn't got back to me on.

I'd appreciate any help or answers you'd have.
Terrible01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,012
Total Cats: 584
Default

That sounds really healthy. Especially considering it still has an NA8 head that doesn't flow worth a darn. Fundamentally, it's a '94 1.8 with a compression bump. Everything else seems directed at durability or high-RPM safety.
hornetball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,207
Total Cats: 2,587
Default

What did you expect? Most your "modifications" are for track longevity and reliability, not power. That's actually pretty good all things considered.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,859
Total Cats: 273
Default

Healthy motor, higher compression.

Just more strength in the parts & least likely to break.

Add flat top intake manifold and racing beat header?
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,012
Total Cats: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
Add flat top intake manifold and racing beat header?
Flat top manifold won't fit his head. If he went to an NB head (BP4W or BP6D), he would definitely get some gains.
hornetball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
That sounds really healthy. Especially considering it still has an NA8 head that doesn't flow worth a darn. Fundamentally, it's a '94 1.8 with a compression bump. Everything else seems directed at durability or high-RPM safety.
It does have a BP05 head. Reading back, that is misleading, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
What did you expect? Most your "modifications" are for track longevity and reliability, not power. That's actually pretty good all things considered.
True. But I wouldn't mind more lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
Healthy motor, higher compression.

Just more strength in the parts & least likely to break.

Add flat top intake manifold and racing beat header?
I'm unsure if the intake has had any work at all, but I know the factory 1.8 header has had the welds ground out of the inside and re welded. Would I still benefit from a RB header?

Terrible01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default

And a few pics for reference.. This is during the motor swap






Attached Thumbnails
Could it be in the tune?-80-10945504_906254749398384_2162216441447497856_n_df1f26443fc601f95871698d1407aaacfa66b53f.jpg   Could it be in the tune?-80-10959590_908695899154269_1168840572353616749_n_02f2ea2803d52969acfa93ad7e03e9ab4e46b0c5.jpg   Could it be in the tune?-80-10968343_906254826065043_789981177157925649_n_638ea8cb088c7134cb8bc1aa740ccc243c19f186.jpg  
Terrible01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,012
Total Cats: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible01 View Post
It does have a BP05 head.
BP05 is the OEM 1994-97 head. Bad choice (BP05 top, BP4W bottom):



Miata Engine History and Interchangability Guide

RB header is quite a bit better than the stock piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Could it be in the tune?-bp05-vs-bp4w-head-comparison.jpg  
hornetball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #9
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
BP05 is the OEM 1994-97 head. Bad choice (BP05 top, BP4W bottom):



Miata Engine History and Interchangability Guide

RB header is quite a bit better than the stock piece.
Interesting! Then I'll plan on another head build with cams, flat top intake and RB header.

Thanks, there goes the shock money. lol
Terrible01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #10
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible01 View Post
Interesting! Then I'll plan on another head build with cams, flat top intake and RB header.

Thanks, there goes the shock money. lol
Realistically you want a 01-05 vvt head. They top out the same as the 99/00 head but have a bit more area under the curve due to vvt. You will also need a ms3 of some type to control the vvt, or the diy autotune vvt tuner.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #11
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Realistically you want a 01-05 vvt head. They top out the same as the 99/00 head but have a bit more area under the curve due to vvt. You will also need a ms3 of some type to control the vvt, or the diy autotune vvt tuner.
That's exact head I was starting to like. I have a megasquirt already in the car.
Terrible01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,012
Total Cats: 584
Default

^+1.

Also, suspension/tires/seat time trump the little bit of power we're talking about here if you are after laptimes. I'd get the Xidas if I were you.
hornetball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
^+1.

Also, suspension/tires/seat time trump the little bit of power we're talking about here if you are after laptimes. I'd get the Xidas if I were you.
Never heard of Xida until now. I had Ohlins on the S2k that I ran in STR, I may see if MCS has anything for a Miata. But if the Xida work for the price, that would be awesome.
Terrible01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #14
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,780
Total Cats: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible01 View Post
That's exact head I was starting to like. I have a megasquirt already in the car.
There are tons of different megasquirts out there. Only the ones of the Megasquirt 3 variety can control VVT. Post a picture of what yours looks like and we may be able to tell you what type it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible01 View Post
Never heard of Xida until now. I had Ohlins on the S2k that I ran in STR, I may see if MCS has anything for a Miata. But if the Xida work for the price, that would be awesome.
Xida's are hands down the shocks to buy if you are tracking the car. [email protected] has put more R&D into miata shock development then any other company and has the wins in national races to back it up.
shuiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default







Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
There are tons of different megasquirts out there. Only the ones of the Megasquirt 3 variety can control VVT. Post a picture of what yours looks like and we may be able to tell you what type it is.



Xida's are hands down the shocks to buy if you are tracking the car. [email protected] has put more R&D into miata shock development then any other company and has the wins in national races to back it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Could it be in the tune?-80-image_bb5e11e847a10c843f4eeffcbb45ae72f576b856.jpeg   Could it be in the tune?-80-image_afb6793afb20a538102f612e6ab67b6ec49b28fb.jpeg   Could it be in the tune?-80-image_79e93c1adbeade484ee7daa5f6073cf79a37cb99.jpeg  
Terrible01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:12 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,791
Total Cats: 130
Default

Looks like a MS3 to me and seems like a really nicely set up car you picked up.
pdexta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #17
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 13
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdexta View Post
Looks like a MS3 to me and seems like a really nicely set up car you picked up.
Thanks! A friend built it and raced in our region, he is a very talented machinist and welder. If he wasn't buying a house, I bet he wouldn't have sold it.

I haven't had the chance to run it yet, but I've been upgrading a few things that I see are inevitable, like the rear brakes to sport and 15x10's with 275's.
Terrible01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:27 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,012
Total Cats: 584
Default

Those welds do look nice!
hornetball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #19
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,910
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

ms3x to be exact.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 2,407
Total Cats: 201
Default

Rear Sport brakes offer a poor pad selection.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supertech vs Sealed Power VS855 Valve Springs Carloverx Engine Performance 38 08-21-2017 09:58 PM
Megasquirt 2 PNP, DW injectors, DW fuel pump jankymiata Miata parts for sale/trade 6 04-04-2016 03:11 PM
DW200 fuel pump Dietcoke Miata parts for sale/trade 4 04-02-2016 11:09 PM
Questions about alternator control in my Exocet boileralum MEGAsquirt 6 03-19-2016 08:07 PM
Fuel management Mohanad A Reda DIY Turbo Discussion 13 03-10-2016 03:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:47 PM.