High horsepower build - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #61
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,516
Total Cats: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samakhan View Post
Any reasons to why you are switching to vvt?
VVT head is identical to 99 head in terms of flow, just has VVT. and playing with VVT can have huge effects on spool. So, personally, if I'm building a head, I don't see why you would invest money into anything but VVT head.

I'll be keeping the 99 intake manifold thouhg, because VICS > VTCS. And possibly an aftermarket IM in the future.
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #62
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,191
Total Cats: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samakhan View Post
I greatly appreciate Fae sharing his knowledge and experience with me. This gives me more confidence in my build and what to expect. Exactly what I was looking to get out of this thread. Isn't that what forums are for? To help people?
That's not a good thing.

Go read his build thread.

This is just me, and i'm sure he'll take it the wrong way. But if i was looking for advice from someone on what to do, or what not to do i would not do anything that man has done.

Must i copy paste pictures?
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #63
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
VVT head is identical to 99 head in terms of flow, just has VVT. and playing with VVT can have huge effects on spool. So, personally, if I'm building a head, I don't see why you would invest money into anything but VVT head.

I'll be keeping the 99 intake manifold though, because VICS > VTCS. And possibly an aftermarket IM in the future.
Agree completely and will be running the 99 mani. Look at the dyno's; a gutted VTCS seems to be just a VICS stuck on low RPM mode.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #64
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Paging megasquirt slobknobbing crew
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #65
mkturbo.com
iTrader: (24)
 
shuiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 13,775
Total Cats: 1,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Paging megasquirt slobknobbing crew
Paging the made 350hp with less then 20psi crew with a GARRETT.
shuiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #66
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erat View Post
That's not a good thing.

Go read his build thread.

This is just me, and i'm sure he'll take it the wrong way. But if i was looking for advice from someone on what to do, or what not to do i would not do anything that man has done.

Must i copy paste pictures?

Yah Erat the reality is that I dyno'd 398hp on my old setup and my new setup just dyno'd 60hp more. All of my R&D is solid and I use the best of the best for tech and most of my parts. In fact, I've pioneered many solutions for the miata.

When you build a higher horsepower miata, or any car- if you ever do, you will learn how much failure and breakage and frustration comes with it. Not everyone talks about it and shares that fact.

OP, be prepared to break many things too. It will start with your wallet.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #67
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiend View Post
Paging the made 350hp with less then 20psi crew with a GARRETT.
Paging the "i pulled and disassembled my motor twice so far because i can't assemble an oil pump" crew.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #68
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Oh yeah? Details please on how it does the failsafes. Get off the bandwagon and stop spreading ignorant misinformation.
whatever **** jockey look up AFR safety. MS3 has the safety features you are on about, your just bitter as you paid x3 the price for less features and your car STILL doesn't work
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #69
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

I've no idea what you pioneered, Fae. Thus far, you have provided us with perfect examples of how to FAEL AT EVERYTHING.

No really though, you have not only not set any records yet, but have managed to mess up some things that are considered completely bomb proof and idiot proof in the miata community

Last thing in the world you wanna do right now is get cocky.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #70
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 669
Total Cats: 29
Default

+1 18psi. Your last build was pretty epic. I cant remember what 1/4 mile time you put down but i remember seeing a youtube vid of you running at the track and it was pretty much a glorious run. Link to that build thread and drag video is welcome and probably spot on for this guys build.
yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #71
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyvrlimited View Post
whatever **** jockey look up AFR safety. MS3 has the safety features you are on about, your just bitter as you paid x3 the price for less features and your car STILL doesn't work

Thanks. That looks fantastic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I've no idea what you pioneered, Fae. Thus far, you have provided us with perfect examples of how to FAEL AT EVERYTHING.

No really though, you have not only not set any records yet, but have managed to mess up some things that are considered completely bomb proof and idiot proof in the miata community

Last thing in the world you wanna do right now is get cocky.

OK here's a short list:

Dual 044 pumps
QSV - it works
4" exhaust - it fits.
S366 - it spools.
high boost on stock bearings, belfab rods
gutted intake at high boost (no power taper)

And yeah, I do have the right to be cocky. How many cars have you modified in your life? Until this year, I had modified one. Make fun of me all you want. I'm fine with failing as long as I fulfill my ambition.


Quote:
Originally Posted by yank View Post
+1 18psi. Your last build was pretty epic. I cant remember what 1/4 mile time you put down but i remember seeing a youtube vid of you running at the track and it was pretty much a glorious run. Link to that build thread and drag video is welcome and probably spot on for this guys build.

Since when is 300hp on e85 epic? I call that yes, MEDIOCRE. Good job 18psi.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #72
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Royal Oak Michigan
Posts: 756
Total Cats: 67
Default

Wow.. This is getting to be a real poop show.

Fae, Iím usually the last one to call someone out but as much as youíve destroyed- you really should be more knowledgeable and strategic with your OWN vehicle. Some of the things Iíve seen in your thread are impressively half assed for your level of douchery in this forum.

Iím not saying that some/most of the information youíve gained to pass on isnít valuable, but youíve got to be the cockiest failure Iíve seen. To be specific, the fact that youíve modified one vehicle and itís gone the way that yours has a solid reflection of your personality, not ability.

There is a difference between an amateur and a hack job. I certainly was an amateur at one point and Iíve never half assed the things you have.

As an amateur once said in my build thread, ďBow down, for I am God.Ē
miatauser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #73
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
OK here's a short list:

Dual 044 pumps
QSV - it works
4" exhaust - it fits.
S366 - it spools.
high boost on stock bearings, belfab rods
gutted intake at high boost (no power taper)


HAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAA are you serious?

omfg


Honestly the pumps and the fact that you took the time to do a semi-coherent write-up is the only thing you have done productive thus far.


Quote:
And yeah, I do have the right to be cocky. How many cars have you modified in your life? Until this year, I had modified one. Make fun of me all you want. I'm fine with failing as long as I fulfill my ambition.
That's like comparing the special olympics to the real olympics: they fail but they're retarded so its ok.



Quote:
Since when is 300hp on e85 epic? I call that yes, MEDIOCRE. Good job 18psi.
When it runs for more than 2 months.

It might not be anything epic at all, but the fact that it ran for all of its stay with me, all of its stay with Bryan, and now with the new owner and STILL running is already a bigger accomplishment than your 350whp on a 800hp turbo that runs for 2 weeks out of the year.


I'm not hating on you Fae, but seriously, STFU go fix your car and keep it on the road for more than a month and then you can preach in threads like this about "innovation" and "non-mediocrity".

Kthx
bi
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #74
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
I'm not hating on you Fae, but seriously, STFU go fix your car and keep it on the road for more than a month and then you can preach in threads like this about "innovation" and "non-mediocrity".

Kthx
bi
Why, so I can pretend how easy it is to make big power and how nothing breaks ever? Obviously I'm honest about and share my embarrassing and frustrating failures. In your own car your transmission broke immediately after you sold it. Pretty much everybody who has over 250hp has to deal with a lot of breakage and a lot of downtime and $$$$ burning. Even if I do make the power I want to and my car runs for a year without breakage (yeah right), I won't pretend it's easy. And the shiz I am doing is much more ambitious so go *** yourself fellas.

Whatever.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #75
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Royal Oak Michigan
Posts: 756
Total Cats: 67
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Why, so I can pretend how easy it is to make big power and how nothing breaks ever? Obviously I'm honest about and share my embarrassing and frustrating failures. In your own car your transmission broke immediately after you sold it. Pretty much everybody who has over 250hp has to deal with a lot of breakage and a lot of downtime and $$$$ burning. Even if I do make the power I want to and my car runs for a year without breakage (yeah right), I won't pretend it's easy. And the shiz I am doing is much more ambitious so go *** yourself fellas.

Whatever.
Ambition. Let's quit talking about "big power" until it ACTUALLY HAPPENS. Also, is it you ambition to just make the power? Sounds very dyno-qeenish to me. Drive that car. Drag strip or get the bish on a road course, but damn son, drive it competitively.
miatauser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #76
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,576
Total Cats: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem768 View Post
Ambition. Let's quit talking about "big power" until it ACTUALLY HAPPENS. Also, is it you ambition to just make the power? Sounds very dyno-qeenish to me. Drive that car. Drag strip or get the bish on a road course, but damn son, drive it competitively.
Not that I personally disagree with you on the fact that a car is built to drive but some people are really only interested in the engineering and such behind building the vehicle and not so much actually driving it to the limit. I am not saying Fae is an engineer or even that this is the only thing that interests him but I find it to be a completely legitimate interest. Some people just like to build **** to see if they can and not necessarily be the one that pushes what they built to the limits.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #77
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 889
Total Cats: 55
Default

I wouldn't go as far as pioneer. Fae is like the Paris Hilton of mt.net. I do agree with him on some things though. He is far more arrogant and flashy/dramatic then necessary though. If you want a kit that is well supported then go with fm. they will answer and help you with anything you need. your kit will be thought our and documented very well. You don't have to buy hydra with your turbo kit. If you know a tuner and they are cool with aem then go that route. there is nothing wrong with ms though and the miata community has tons of experience and help for you should you choose to go that route.

If you want the best performance abe at artech will make you the prettiest most badass parts. If you're looking for the easiest self install with the best support fm is your cat.

I've already gone down this path of course and did not do it in this order but wished i had.

EMS - get used to tuning and learn it so you can change things as you upgrade your car
Suspension - coilovers or whatever you choose, swaybars,
safety - roll bar
drivetrain - this is where you put your built motor in new clutch, transmission, lsd if you need to.
turbo - by the time you're here you will have probably read a bunch of ish on the forums got to know a bunch of people. have a really good idea of what you want. at this point in time you may want to build your own setup piece by piece.

trackspeed is making a turbo kit and by that time maybe sav will have an option for you. i don't know. if you want to just drop a bunch of coin down and not be intimately familiar with your setup that's cool. Anyway that's my .02. it's not the most fun path but it would most likely be the most rewarding.
krissetsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #78
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem768 View Post
Ambition. Let's quit talking about "big power" until it ACTUALLY HAPPENS. Also, is it you ambition to just make the power? Sounds very dyno-qeenish to me. Drive that car. Drag strip or get the bish on a road course, but damn son, drive it competitively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
Not that I personally disagree with you on the fact that a car is built to drive but some people are really only interested in the engineering and such behind building the vehicle and not so much actually driving it to the limit. I am not saying Fae is an engineer or even that this is the only thing that interests him but I find it to be a completely legitimate interest. Some people just like to build **** to see if they can and not necessarily be the one that pushes what they built to the limits.

Yes I am interested in numbers. I have no expectation that 600hp or anything near it will be anything near reliable with this motor. I want to put down the numbers, do some dyno experiments, do some ROLL RACING and then downsize the turbo to a s256.
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #79
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 669
Total Cats: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeflora View Post
Since when is 300hp on e85 epic?...
...was it only 300hp?.. It looked so fast!
**Finds Search n00b!**

... Wait, it was JayL

https://www.miataturbo.net/build-thr...e-build-26526/



SO FAST!
yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #80
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,174
Total Cats: 2,575
Default

lol I never said 300whp was fast. It was fast enough for me though.

And yes, Jays car was excellent
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
01-05 Fab9 PNP COPs (used) FrankB Miata parts for sale/trade 6 09-30-2015 12:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.