msm turbo on a 1.6L - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 99
Total Cats: -24
Default msm turbo on a 1.6L

ok i am sorry if this has been covered before but after doing research and plenty of google searching i am unable to find an answer to my question.

I currently have a 1.6L 92 miata and I was going to turbo her. However after doing some research deciding what turbo setup to run I was leaning towards a t28 s14 turbo. However I realized that some people run a complete swap of the msm turbo and manifold however the thing i am having problems findin is whether or not the msm manifold will fit the 1.6L motor.

I have seen that people have swapped it into the 1.8L but i am not sure if there is a sizing dif as to how the manifolds fit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Colton
coltonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 21
Default

I'm pretty sure the manifold will not work on the 1.6 head.
slmhofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 99
Total Cats: -24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmhofy View Post
I'm pretty sure the manifold will not work on the 1.6 head.
dam thats what i was afraid of. has anyone seen a manifold online that will fit the 1.6 running the msm flange? cuz i can get a msm turbo for an affordable price and thats better then a chincharger
coltonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 21
Default

And I'm almost certain that no one would waste their time to make a manifold with the IHI turbo flange that fits on an 1.6. That is just such an uncommon combination (no money to be made). Though I agree the turbo would be awesome for a 1.6.
slmhofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 99
Total Cats: -24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmhofy View Post
And I'm almost certain that no one would waste their time to make a manifold with the IHI turbo flange that fits on an 1.6. That is just such an uncommon combination (no money to be made). Though I agree the turbo would be awesome for a 1.6.
i guess my only option is to source a msm manifold and cut the flange off and weld it to a 1.6L turbo manifold ha
coltonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 21
Default

Another note. I think the MSM manifold is some sort of cast stainless so I'm not sure how much that will influence that choice either.

I understand that you've already got the msm turbo which even though many have hated on, I still think is a great unit. But my recommendation is still leaning towards churbo and a manifold that just bolts together. Just make sure all the flanges are correct.

I'm not sure how easy it's going to be (if even possible) to weld on that cast stainless manifold.
slmhofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 99
Total Cats: -24
Default

dam post limit ha
coltonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 99
Total Cats: -24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmhofy View Post
Another note. I think the MSM manifold is some sort of cast stainless so I'm not sure how much that will influence that choice either.

I understand that you've already got the msm turbo which even though many have hated on, I still think is a great unit. But my recommendation is still leaning towards churbo and a manifold that just bolts together. Just make sure all the flanges are correct.

I'm not sure how easy it's going to be (if even possible) to weld on that cast stainless manifold.
i actually havent even got the turbo yet im just weighing my options
coltonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #9
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 2,638
Total Cats: 25
Default

No.

Just no.

Dann
nitrodann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonr View Post
i guess my only option is to source a msm manifold and cut the flange off and weld it to a 1.6L turbo manifold ha
The cylinder spacing is different, even this wont work.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

I know everyone wants to pay bottom dollar for everything these days and not spend more than $500 on a turbo setup, but sheesh...

Just buy what is known to work and is good quality. Get a manifold and outlet from one of the Big Names on here and build the rest yourself. That's the least expensive route to go. If you can't find information about something on here....either it's not conventional or you suck at searching lol
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 402
Total Cats: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonr View Post
dam post limit ha
This would be a good place to start.

https://www.miataturbo.net/build-thr...h-build-63204/
slmhofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (23)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,071
Total Cats: 253
Default

I'd use a china turbo over the stock MSM ******* turbo any day.
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

This thread is so stupid it made my brain hurt.

You want to buy a crappy manifold so you can hack it up and make it 200% crappier just so you can fit it to a crappy engine and then bolt a crappy turbo to it? Not only will you spend more than a 1.6 turbo kit will cost and waste more money than it takes to fully fabricate one from scratch, but you'll end up with a setup inferior even to the china turbo kits.

Oh my goodness, do people just disregard common sense these days?
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperormiata View Post
I'd use a china turbo over the stock MSM ******* turbo any day.
So would I, and I hate Chinese turbos.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 99
Total Cats: -24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18psi View Post
This thread is so stupid it made my brain hurt.

You want to buy a crappy manifold so you can hack it up and make it 200% crappier just so you can fit it to a crappy engine and then bolt a crappy turbo to it? Not only will you spend more than a 1.6 turbo kit will cost and waste more money than it takes to fully fabricate one from scratch, but you'll end up with a setup inferior even to the china turbo kits.

Oh my goodness, do people just disregard common sense these days?
when im only running 7lbs of boost looking for just a little bit more power i dont need to spend 1800 dollars for a turbo kit. Sourcing a turbo kit will cost me no where near that much. I am not sure how you figure ill spend more then buying a kit I guess your math must be a little off.
coltonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

Go check out thread called "project cheap" by Techsalvager.

If you like his herpey infested tub of diarheal sh*t of a car and setup and want FAIL and AIDS, go ahead and replicate it. It will cost just under 1800, and you will for sure have one of the worst cars on the forum.

Good luck and have fun.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonr View Post
i guess my only option is to source a msm manifold and cut the flange off and weld it to a 1.6L turbo manifold ha
that's not even an option. That turbo sucks anyways...rethink your plans.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltonr View Post
when im only running 7lbs of boost looking for just a little bit more power i dont need to spend 1800 dollars for a turbo kit. Sourcing a turbo kit will cost me no where near that much. I am not sure how you figure ill spend more then buying a kit I guess your math must be a little off.
This is everyone's story... "oh I just want to run like 5 psi for some extra go" and they want to be extra cheap about it.
If you really want a turbo, you MUST do it right or you'll spend 4 times the time and 3 times the money fixing **** constantly. If you really want "just a few psi", get a JRSC and call it a day knowing you'll never be able to make much power out of it. Or if you're really lucky, you might find an old Greddy kit out there somewhere.
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 99
Total Cats: -24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelgänger View Post
This is everyone's story... "oh I just want to run like 5 psi for some extra go" and they want to be extra cheap about it.
If you really want a turbo, you MUST do it right or you'll spend 4 times the time and 3 times the money fixing **** constantly. If you really want "just a few psi", get a JRSC and call it a day knowing you'll never be able to make much power out of it.
everyone needs to understand i am only going to have the car for another 8 months before i move and am selling the car to a friend who is going to build the motor and put a bigger turbo on it. For now i only want some more power since at my altitude the car is bogging pretty bad.
coltonr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.