MZR DISI Turbo Swap: Can It Be Done? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #21
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Just put an SR20DET in.
Name:  IMG_1111.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  106.9 KB

It's JDM.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Me having both cars...... IMO no, dont take it the wrong way, but your retarded even considering this.

I am on my second motor with the speed 6 (just bolt on) on a stock turbo I blew my motor.

To answer your question, the motor is direct injected, so the fuel rail does on the head, not the intake manifold, therefore no its not a miata head, not 2.3, duratec head. Its an MZR DISI head.

IMO mazda's direct injection sucks, the motor is great, beefy forged rods, strong pistons, but still people blow their motor (rods give out) because of heat and knock under partial load. Mazda had one purpose for this car, good fuel economy and great emissions. Take those two and that means crappy power output, and nobody can completely understand this ECU, cobb is doing good, but still theyre not 100% there.

I dont think your mechanic knows this motor, its only been around for 3 years and people were blowing, tearing it apart, rebuilding and blowing them again just to understand the weak point and try to fix them, to this day there no complete understanding as to how and why motors blow while your at partial throttle!

Just like everybody else said, V8.
Project_MX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,901
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
Just put an SR20DET in.


It's JDM.
Wow. Have you been to the track yet?
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #24
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
Wow. Have you been to the track yet?
lol that was a joke, but several people have done it. It's really only worth it if you happen to have a SR lying around, that's built up, and a miata chassis with no motor.



As far as the MZR goes, it's not even close to being an awesome engine. There's so many better and cooler options out there for a swap. Put a RB26 in there. That would be cool as hell.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:54 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,901
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_MX-5 View Post
Me having both cars...... IMO no, dont take it the wrong way, but your retarded even considering this.

I am on my second motor with the speed 6 (just bolt on) on a stock turbo I blew my motor.

To answer your question, the motor is direct injected, so the fuel rail does on the head, not the intake manifold, therefore no its not a miata head, not 2.3, duratec head. Its an MZR DISI head.

IMO mazda's direct injection sucks, the motor is great, beefy forged rods, strong pistons, but still people blow their motor (rods give out) because of heat and knock under partial load. Mazda had one purpose for this car, good fuel economy and great emissions. Take those two and that means crappy power output, and nobody can completely understand this ECU, cobb is doing good, but still theyre not 100% there.

I dont think your mechanic knows this motor, its only been around for 3 years and people were blowing, tearing it apart, rebuilding and blowing them again just to understand the weak point and try to fix them, to this day there no complete understanding as to how and why motors blow while your at partial throttle!

Just like everybody else said, V8.
I appreciate the input.

Am I to assume you are talking about the Mazdaspeed 3 turbo?

Perhaps a better start would be an NC miata motor. Cosworth has a cyl head for it, and there are cam shafts available as well. I hear that they are making good power from that motor.

I have been using an Electromotive on my current car, and I do not think I would fool with the factory ECU any way. The Electromotive is universal, and the only thing that I would worry about is building a crank trigger.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:03 AM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,901
Total Cats: 109
Default

The reason that I want to put an NC motor in the car is that my prefered method of racing has been drag racing. Some classes require that you use a motor from a like model car. However, if you have an older model that has a smaller and lighter frame (NA), but the newest model has a larger more advance engine (NC), you can take the big motor and stuff it into the old chassis, and still be legal to race.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #27
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

what you means mazdaspeed3, ms6, ms3 and cx7 share same motor from oil pan to turbine. only diffirence is ms6 is awd, ms3 is failwd, and cx7 is either failwd with same everything as ms3 or awd which drivetrain is very similar to ms6. Another difference is their ECU's.
Project_MX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,901
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_MX-5 View Post
what you means mazdaspeed3, ms6, ms3 and cx7 share same motor from oil pan to turbine. only diffirence is ms6 is awd, ms3 is failwd, and cx7 is either failwd with same everything as ms3 or awd which drivetrain is very similar to ms6. Another difference is their ECU's.
You know your current Mazda motors.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #29
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
The reason that I want to put an NC motor in the car is that my prefered method of racing has been drag racing. Some classes require that you use a motor from a like model car. However, if you have an older model that has a smaller and lighter frame (NA), but the newest model has a larger more advance engine (NC), you can take the big motor and stuff it into the old chassis, and still be legal to race.
What makes you think that being a newer motor is better? It's not like you can't get into the 300+ whp on a 1.6.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:32 AM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,901
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
What makes you think that being a newer motor is better? It's not like you can't get into the 300+ whp on a 1.6.
To be competitive you better be packin some cubic inches. The competition sure will. In drag racing, motors are like ****, they can't be too big!
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #31
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

whatever you do with that motor, my motor will still make more output.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

just remember, it's stupid to do something different than everyone else.. this forum is getting gayer
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #33
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach929 View Post
just remember, it's stupid to do something different than everyone else.. this forum is getting gayer
going fast around a racetrack > spending months doing something "different"...just buy an apple so you can be different.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #34
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Just because it *can be done doesn't mean you should do it.

If you:
1. Have lots of money for a project.
2. Have lots of time for a project.
3. Have mad skillz required by said project.
4. Have patience (and understanding SO) for a long, difficult project.
and
5. Just really want to do something different for the sake of doing it despite conventional reasoning.

....then this would be a great project.

If you're missing any one of those, I'd consider something more conventional. If you meet all the above criteria, then #5 is as good a reason as any.

I'm pretty sure this guy got laughed at when he talked about putting a V6 in a Miata to chase down Vettes, when he could have done the easy thing and just used a Vette motor.



Say what you will...but that is one badass motherfuckin' car.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #35
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

engine swaps which make sense in a miata:
SBC
S2K
Hayabusa (I want this, so bad)
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #36
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
going fast around a racetrack > spending months doing something "different"...just buy an apple so you can be different.
even if you were right, the op didn't mention anything about tracking the car.

and i only eat granny smith apples
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #37
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

The point is MZR is unreliable as is, and NC 2.0 will cost an arm and a first born child for a bit more power out the crate.

theres a built up 8second miata with a BP and gt40 I think look it up.
Project_MX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #38
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
To be competitive you better be packin some cubic inches. The competition sure will. In drag racing, motors are like ****, they can't be too big!
I drag race, and no, that's not the case. You race for your class. Why would I want to run in the 9 second range if I'm trying to stay in the street / modified / or pro class? And if displacement is your only concern, put a turbo ford 5 litre in there. It's an old motor design, but tons of potential, cheap, easy to find...
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #39
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,901
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
whatever you do with that motor, my motor will still make more output.
You know that for a fact do you.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_MX-5 View Post
The point is MZR is unreliable as is, and NC 2.0 will cost an arm and a first born child for a bit more power out the crate.

theres a built up 8second miata with a BP and gt40 I think look it up.
Ive seen that car is all over you tube. If im not mistaken it ran a high 8 O_O. I remember reading the spec list. The motor was bored out 2.0 stroker.

OP the advice or comment that youre gonna get from most of us is the old if you have

the chaching $$$
Time
Knowledge.. ect

Then go ahead, **** is your investment. However if you dont have the things mentioned above then v8 is the way to go for a swap that is relatively cheap, efficient, and will be great at drag racing. 5.0 (stock) miata come in the high 12s and Ls1 (stock) in the high 11s. Also ive seen a small block chevy pull a mid 10.

Im not saying dont do it, I guess we are just pointing out other options that have proven to be efficient and cost effective. At the end however is your investment, so do as you please.

I want to see a Ferrari swap, Im just saying
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Tags
cx7, disi, mazdaspeed3, mzr, swap

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.