MZR DISI Turbo Swap: Can It Be Done? - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #41
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
You know that for a fact do you.
judging from your signature...yes.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #42
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,085
Total Cats: 30
Default

Looks like Hyper is back with a new handle.
albumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #43
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

I looked at the rulebook for the IDRA. It read, and I quote "Engine manufacturer must match vehicle chassis manufacturer. Brother subsitutions are allowed such as Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura. Domestic manufactured engines are limited to four cylinder and OHC six cylinders." No Chevys in Mazdas allowed here. I am pretty sure the same go for other sanctioning bodies (in drag racing).

This was true for all classes except for the bracket and outlaw classes. Personally I am not a fan of Bracket racing. It is not as fun to watch and does not get the attention as heads up racing. The outlaw class is basicly a pro mod like class that will require an investment of 100's of thousands of dollars (car, support, etc).

If you never plan to compete, than I would most certainly agree that the other swaps are the way to go.

My goal is to compete in a heads up class. To have any hope of winning, you have to have a motor approaching the maximum cubic inches. An older Miata would be more competive with a developed NC motor, because there is the potential of getting more cubes out of it.

That is why I think someone should try the swap. It will take a lot of development time and money. But it would be great to see the Miata kick some Honda ***.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #44
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I think you should stfu and leave.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #45
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
I looked at the rulebook for the IDRA. It read, and I quote "Engine manufacturer must match vehicle chassis manufacturer. Brother subsitutions are allowed such as Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura. Domestic manufactured engines are limited to four cylinder and OHC six cylinders." No Chevys in Mazdas allowed here. I am pretty sure the same go for other sanctioning bodies (in drag racing).

This was true for all classes except for the bracket and outlaw classes. Personally I am not a fan of Bracket racing. It is not as fun to watch and does not get the attention as heads up racing. The outlaw class is basicly a pro mod like class that will require an investment of 100's of thousands of dollars (car, support, etc).

If you never plan to compete, than I would most certainly agree that the other swaps are the way to go.

My goal is to compete in a heads up class. To have any hope of winning, you have to have a motor approaching the maximum cubic inches. An older Miata would be more competive with a developed NC motor, because there is the potential of getting more cubes out of it.

That is why I think someone should try the swap. It will take a lot of development time and money. But it would be great to see the Miata kick some Honda ***.
OMG why are you so retarded? Have you even tried bracket racing? At least it requires skill and some amount of brain cells. It's not merely "may the fastest car win" fest. And seriously, have you ever actually drag raced a car? You'll find bracket racing is exciting, and at least gives everyone a hope of winning. And bracket racing has huge favor with professionals as well.

And yes, many different tracks will have different rules, as classes. A friend of mine races in mini stock, and the rules for that are it has to be a SOHC engine, carburated, must be the same manufacturer motor, and for every litre of displacement you have to have X amount of weight in your car... They normally try to make an even playing field, so they punish larger displacement by adding more weight. So really, a 1.6L can compete with a 2.4... it's how it works.

And I agree, just GTFO.

PS - competing with Honda's with a mazda engine (except for rotary) is futile. Honda has a great design, and the support is insane. There are many 1000HP honda civics out there. I don't care what you say, Mazda does not make a block in conventional form that can be built to that. Your only hope if staying with mazda is some 3 or 4 rotor setup.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #46
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
I think you should stfu and leave.
What seems to be your problem?
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #47
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

you're watering down my forum with ricer bullshit.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #48
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinb View Post
OMG why are you so retarded? Have you even tried bracket racing? At least it requires skill and some amount of brain cells. It's not merely "may the fastest car win" fest. And seriously, have you ever actually drag raced a car? You'll find bracket racing is exciting, and at least gives everyone a hope of winning. And bracket racing has huge favor with professionals as well.

And yes, many different tracks will have different rules, as classes. A friend of mine races in mini stock, and the rules for that are it has to be a SOHC engine, carburated, must be the same manufacturer motor, and for every litre of displacement you have to have X amount of weight in your car... They normally try to make an even playing field, so they punish larger displacement by adding more weight. So really, a 1.6L can compete with a 2.4... it's how it works.

And I agree, just GTFO.

PS - competing with Honda's with a mazda engine (except for rotary) is futile. Honda has a great design, and the support is insane. There are many 1000HP honda civics out there. I don't care what you say, Mazda does not make a block in conventional form that can be built to that. Your only hope if staying with mazda is some 3 or 4 rotor setup.
Lad, I have been drag racing for 15 years. I have gone faster than you ever will, and my normally aspirated miata will blow the doors off your piece of ****.

Before you act like you know something about me, you may want to ask a few questions.

You know, I came on this forum to learn a trick or two. And you know, I might teach you a trick or two as well. I was giving arguement as to why it would be a good idea. Maybe it is not a good idea, but act like something other than an 8 year old will you?
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #49
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,322
Total Cats: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
Lad, I have been drag racing for 15 years. I have gone faster than you ever will, and my normally aspirated miata will blow the doors off your piece of ****.

Before you act like you know something about me, you may want to ask a few questions.

You know, I came on this forum to learn a trick or two. And you know, I might teach you a trick or two as well. I was giving arguement as to why it would be a good idea. Maybe it is not a good idea, but act like something other than an 8 year old will you?
Obviously you have 15 years of experience drag racing, but being the trophy bitch doesn't really count.
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #50
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,236
Total Cats: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
...spending months doing something "different"...
How many months did you spend "doing something the same"?

Doing an engine swap because you want to is the only reason you need IMO. Some actually like the problem solving and fabrication that goes along with a project like an engine swap vs. mail ordering a kit and installing it over a couple of weekends.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #51
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

I see a in your near future...
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #52
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon01 View Post
I see a in your near future...
Why...because he's persistent about out-of-the ordinary swaps?

He did poz up the LS1 swap thread...but other than that he's just an annoying new(to us)b with unconventional ideas.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #53
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
Why...because he's persistent about out-of-the ordinary swaps?

He did poz up the LS1 swap thread...but other than that he's just an annoying new(to us)b with unconventional ideas.

Because im an instigator. Im not against any swap, like i said before is not my money so i dont really care . As a matter of fact i suggested a ferrari swap
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #54
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon01 View Post
Because im an instigator. Im not against any swap, like i said before is not my money so i dont really care . As a matter of fact i suggested a ferrari swap
That's cool...just kinda tired of us running off everyone that doesn't agree with us.

I've also seen us run off a couple of experienced older guys that were just lacking forum etiquette in the past few seasons.

I was responsible for one of them...and feel like an asshat for it.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #55
Junior Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 397
Total Cats: 9
Default

Well most internet forums are not known for their tolerance. You just have to shrug off the intial wave of e thugging and go about your business.

I understand the need for a larger displacement motor but the other factor in your MZR choice is the engine management. with direct injection you may be limited to factory ecu with something like the Accessport from Cobb. There may be some standalones that can control DI motors but I am not aware of them.
For drag racing a 3 rotor 20B would be really cool but might not be legal as it was not sold in US.
Personally I dream of a Hartley V8 with twin turbos but since I could just buy a porsche GT3 for the same price I'll let you know.
kaisersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 PM   #56
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

I have never been on a forum in my life, I will work on the etiquette.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #57
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan
Posts: 5,682
Total Cats: 10
Default

lol
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #58
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 35
Total Cats: 0
Default

Like kaisersone and myself have said MZR will be a nightmare to get running, theres one guy in Ukraine who is currently working on cracking the mazdaspeed6 ECU (AWD) Id guess you would use mazdaspeed3 or FWD CX-7 ECU in a miata for it being 2 wheel drive not 4.

Either way, I would love to see it done, but over 2+ years of personal involvement in MZR engines I would advise you to stay away from it.
Project_MX-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:54 AM   #59
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

I will heed the advice for now. However, surely time will allow development that will make the motor more competitive, easier to get parts for, and cheaper.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 AM   #60
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,868
Total Cats: 66
Default

lol...we really don't need a banstick yet, we'll run him off soon.

Want to go drag racing? Buy another car. You're sounding like a 15yr old keyboard cowboy with ideas and no money...or logic There is another Miata engine that has the same output as the NC's 2.0L and drops right into the NA....but obviously you're so stuck on the MZ i'm not going to bother telling you. There is another 2.0L 4 cylinder that isn't too hard of a swap into a Miata....hell, there has even been one guy who had a V6.

I don't really see anyone doing too much with the MZ because of Mazda's retarded ECU. No one is going to care to really crack it because there are much better swaps out there for the money.
Doppelgänger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Tags
cx7, disi, mazdaspeed3, mzr, swap

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.