Project 200whp N/A - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #41
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 4,682
Total Cats: 216
Default

If you think you can run more CR (which I agree you can), but already have the 12.0:1 pistons, why not mill the head?
The BP head looks like it has a lot of meat in it and it would be awesome to make the quench pads bigger.

Ive seen some guys running 14.0:1 CR on 93 octane with Honda D16s (not a performance engine by anyone's definition) by milling the head a lot ,maximizing quench.
This was a drag engine, so I can imagine with a road race engine you wouldnt want to go that high on 93, but on E85 it might not be that outlandish.

I havent looked too closely at the cams you plan on running, but If you retarding the inatke valve closing enough the dynamic compression might be low enough to allow for substantially more static CR. There is software that calculates it, but Im not sure where you find it.
Example:

People have been taking advantage on the "VVT" on the coyote engine to throw lots of boost on top of the stock 11.0:1 CR by retarding IVC.
Attached Thumbnails
Project 200whp N/A-k99qb9.jpg  
Full_Tilt_Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #42
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,312
Total Cats: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
What can we do to decrease this bearing wear?
It's a non issue. Even on our high our motors the wear is modest. On a street motor, the wear is nil. I don't think you are going to find any cheap way of eliminating bearing and ring wear on an undersquare motor with stubby rods spun to 8k regularly. The trick is either not to spin it 8 often or buy an S2000.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #43
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
right now, yes. Do the math on the RB header, it is the correct size already. Not as sexy as a Maxim Works but what, one quarter of the price? There is no point in the exercise if its not easily duplicable by everyone else. If someone wants to send us a Maruha VP and current design MW, I would be happy to do controlled A-B testing against the RB.
I have a Maxim sitting at my house you can borrow for testing for a few days.. just for the giggles n *****. I'd be curious just to see the sheer numbers
tokiwartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #44
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

I see no mention of Stahl headers. You have a few flavors to choose from, and they are reasonably priced.

This project is going to require reaching for small fruits at the top of the tree. A bunch of 1/2 horsepower increments will eventually equal the 10 horsepower you are looking for. I can see it being expensive initially, but once you have it figured out will it really be a repeatable exercise.

I have to disagree that a rod ratio change would not be worth going for. There is already an off the shelf rod available developed for the stroker. Do the upfront work to build a proper piston for it, and you have a combo that will not cost any more than the current rod and piston combos available, once the combo becomes popular enough.

A properly ported BP head will flow as well as say a stock B16 head, and they have a better rod ratio than a BP. It makes sense to me.

I am not suggesting you ditch your current combo, but the next step should be in this direction in my opinion.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #45
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,363
Total Cats: 1,325
Default

Rover has a longtube 4-2-1 Stahl header built specifically to maximize low-end torque. Not sure if I'll ever get around to doing a back-to-back, though.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #46
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Total Cats: -3
Default

I'll be following this thread for sure!
thangcu35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #47
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,312
Total Cats: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miata2fast View Post
I see no mention of Stahl headers. You have a few flavors to choose from, and they are reasonably priced.

This project is going to require reaching for small fruits at the top of the tree. A bunch of 1/2 horsepower increments will eventually equal the 10 horsepower you are looking for. I can see it being expensive initially, but once you have it figured out will it really be a repeatable exercise.

I have to disagree that a rod ratio change would not be worth going for. There is already an off the shelf rod available developed for the stroker. Do the upfront work to build a proper piston for it, and you have a combo that will not cost any more than the current rod and piston combos available, once the combo becomes popular enough.

A properly ported BP head will flow as well as say a stock B16 head, and they have a better rod ratio than a BP. It makes sense to me.

I am not suggesting you ditch your current combo, but the next step should be in this direction in my opinion.
Your point is noted.

We have BTDT. We have data on a long rod 1.9L BP. We have no plans for further experimenting with long rods for this program for the reason outlined previously in this thread.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #48
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Rover has a longtube 4-2-1 Stahl header built specifically to maximize low-end torque. Not sure if I'll ever get around to doing a back-to-back, though.
I did not know they did 4-2-1 headers for the Miata.

I personally would use the 4-1 for this project.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #49
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokiwartooth View Post
I have a Maxim sitting at my house you can borrow for testing for a few days.. just for the giggles n *****. I'd be curious just to see the sheer numbers
In case it wasn't clear, my Maxim is in Irvine CA and I'll be in town for a couple days.


I know many people would love to see dyno results of the maxim regardless as it's a scarcity.
tokiwartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #50
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,312
Total Cats: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokiwartooth View Post
In case it wasn't clear, my Maxim is in Irvine CA and I'll be in town for a couple days.


I know many people would love to see dyno results of the maxim regardless as it's a scarcity.
Current design?
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #51
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
Current design?
I'm actually not entirely sure, I wasn't aware they made different designs, but it does match what is pictured on miataroadster. It's in great shape, just some minor superficial rust as is expected. I'm sure it's going to fit the bill if you guys wanted to **** with it.

Snagged it for 550 shipped from Japanistan. So it isn't toooo un-afforadble anymore. :P
tokiwartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #52
MT Pony Underground
iTrader: (6)
 
Nagase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,811
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokiwartooth View Post
I'm actually not entirely sure, I wasn't aware they made different designs, but it does match what is pictured on miataroadster. It's in great shape, just some minor superficial rust as is expected. I'm sure it's going to fit the bill if you guys wanted to **** with it.

Snagged it for 550 shipped from Japanistan. So it isn't toooo un-afforadble anymore. :P
Is that new or used? I was under the impression it was like 1.5k new.
Nagase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #53
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagase View Post
Is that new or used? I was under the impression it was like 1.5k new.
Used of course..

The guys that buy it new in japan only costs a hair under 1k USD. Especially given the extremely favorable exchange rate.

It's 1.5k to us round eyes in Amerika, jacked up shipping costs and only a few guys willing to stock the part gives them the "privilege" to increase it's price quite a lot. No wonder it's impractical to have in the states. Meanwhile, it isn't uncommon to find Miatas running around with a Maxim header in Japan.

Just goes to show the disparity in the valued product between here and there.
tokiwartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #54
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,312
Total Cats: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokiwartooth View Post
I'm actually not entirely sure, I wasn't aware they made different designs, but it does match what is pictured on miataroadster. It's in great shape, just some minor superficial rust as is expected. I'm sure it's going to fit the bill if you guys wanted to **** with it.

Snagged it for 550 shipped from Japanistan. So it isn't toooo un-afforadble anymore. :P
contact me through our website. Send me a couple of pictures of it. If it is the current design, it is relevant. I will buy a Maruha VP and run all three on the dyno.if andrew loans me his Stahll, I will run it at the same time too.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #55
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 19
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
contact me through our website. Send me a couple of pictures of it. If it is the current design, it is relevant. I will buy a Maruha VP and run all three on the dyno.if andrew loans me his Stahll, I will run it at the same time too.
Done.


Looks like the Miata community is finally going to get dyno results of the Maxim as opposed to referencing the same damned thread on m.net as everyone else does. hahaha
tokiwartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #56
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Murfreesboro,TN
Posts: 1,277
Total Cats: 53
Default

For ***** and giggles it'd be fun to throw an eBay header on there too. Prove once an for all they are junk.
Midtenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #57
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,312
Total Cats: 1,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtenn View Post
For ***** and giggles it'd be fun to throw an eBay header on there too. Prove once an for all they are junk.
I don't need to waste 4 hours of my life to prove that ebay headers are junk.
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,312
Total Cats: 1,335
Default

Test car will be our 95R project car with a CNC BP6D head and Tomei cams most likely.

Maxim Works NB header


Maruha VP header.
The Maruha has an anti-reversion cone built into it's flex joint. Their testing shows some useful power gains with its addition. We'll find out.


Racing Beat
Attached Thumbnails
Project 200whp N/A-maximworks_gf_nb8c.jpg   Project 200whp N/A-maruha_vp_header.jpg   Project 200whp N/A-header_web.jpg  
emilio700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #59
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,363
Total Cats: 1,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
if andrew loans me his Stahll, I will run it at the same time too.
If I'm not using it, sure.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Race Track & St Pete FL
Posts: 587
Total Cats: 47
Default

Interesting Thread, Subscribed

emilio what was the torque like when you dyno'ed 190+ hp
1993ka24det is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Well tuned naturally aspirated example project? asmasm MEGAsquirt 21 09-23-2015 11:53 AM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM
Anything To Gain from Using Piggyback on N/A car? 2000SE ECUs and Tuning 5 09-08-2015 12:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 PM.