Project 200whp N/A - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Engine Performance This section is for discussion on all engine building related questions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #121
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,846
Total Cats: 1,787
Default

4. Cat people.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #122
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
chriscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Carrollton TX
Posts: 1,702
Total Cats: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning Kruger Affect View Post
I think that there's 3 distinct groups of people on MT:

1. Turbo guys
2. VVT swap guys
3. People with a stock Miata window shopping for either a Turbo or VVT swap
1a. Former turbo, now VVT guys.

C
chriscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #123
I haz no trubo
iTrader: (2)
 
Oscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bolton, UK
Posts: 3,021
Total Cats: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
4. Cat people.
That's more or less mandatory to be accepted here
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #124
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,310
Total Cats: 1,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscar View Post
1a. Former turbo, now VVT guys.

C
My work here is done
emilio700 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #125
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 903
Total Cats: 59
Default

I'm just glad that I didn't have any money when TSE was not even a faint idea in Sav's head.

I may have made out with buying stuff at the right time for NA power; however, I lost out by buying FCMs a few months prior to Xidas hitting the market.
Dunning Kruger Affect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #126
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 273
Total Cats: 7
Default

Thanks again for your testing work Emilio! Small question for you, I have a VVT motor in my racecar with a Jackson Racing header matted to a Jackson Racing Cat going to a Bosal made Mazdaspeed Spec Miata exhaust. I recently swapped from a VCTS manifold with butterflies to a VICS manifold with the butterflies operating at 5400rpms and I gained 14hp at 7k. I just added a euro, flat top, manifold and saw no change in power. Could the smallish Bosal (1.9" I.D.) be limiting my power? I have seen typical gains with the euro manifold occur above 6k, but I saw no change. Thoughts?

The good thing is that this combo makes 120ft/lbs of torque by 2200rpms and only goes up slightly thru the rev range falling off up high as expected, but peaking at ~130ft/lbs around 4500rpms.
MX5RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #127
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,310
Total Cats: 1,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5RACER View Post
Thanks again for your testing work Emilio! Small question for you, I have a VVT motor in my racecar with a Jackson Racing header matted to a Jackson Racing Cat going to a Bosal made Mazdaspeed Spec Miata exhaust. I recently swapped from a VCTS manifold with butterflies to a VICS manifold with the butterflies operating at 5400rpms and I gained 14hp at 7k. I just added a euro, flat top, manifold and saw no change in power. Could the smallish Bosal (1.9" I.D.) be limiting my power? I have seen typical gains with the euro manifold occur above 6k, but I saw no change. Thoughts?

The good thing is that this combo makes 120ft/lbs of torque by 2200rpms and only goes up slightly thru the rev range falling off up high as expected, but peaking at ~130ft/lbs around 4500rpms.
It is not the exhaust. Something in your data is wrong I suspect. If you are using the stock ECU, thats the problem.
emilio700 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #128
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 85
Total Cats: 0
Default

This is why I don't really want to do anything beyond an ex/intake cam on my 99 without getting an ECU first.
vintagerust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #129
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irvine, Ca
Posts: 277
Total Cats: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning Kruger Affect View Post
I think that there's 3 distinct groups of people on MT:

1. Turbo guys
2. VVT swap guys
3. People with a stock Miata window shopping for either a Turbo or VVT swap
Don't forget the few lurkers with their stupidchargers...
cjsafski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #130
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
miata2fast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dover, FL
Posts: 2,895
Total Cats: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning Kruger Affect View Post
I think that there's 3 distinct groups of people on MT:

1. Turbo guys
2. VVT swap guys
3. People with a stock Miata window shopping for either a Turbo or VVT swap
I suppose I am just the lone wolf.
miata2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #131
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 273
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
It is not the exhaust. Something in your data is wrong I suspect. If you are using the stock ECU, thats the problem.
Sorry, I should have made that more clear. I am running a VVT motor in my '90 using a DIYPNP and VVTuner combo. I am making 139hp and 130ft/lbs, but my goal for this swap was to get into the 140's.
MX5RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #132
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 273
Total Cats: 7
Default



Here is a copy of my last dyno, the red line is the VICS manifold, the other line is the VCTS, with butterflies.
MX5RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #133
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,310
Total Cats: 1,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5RACER View Post


Here is a copy of my last dyno, the red line is the VICS manifold, the other line is the VCTS, with butterflies.
These dynos were taken almost 6 months apart. Do over.

Got dyno from VICS to square top?
emilio700 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #134
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 273
Total Cats: 7
Default

I do not have that here. I need to take my flash drive over and get the data. I was organizing a Dyno day and forgot to grab my sheet when I left.
MX5RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #135
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 160
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
A well designed cold air intake on a stock NB1 will find more power that a switching from a stock USDM 4:1 to any header.

A good intake manifold over the USDM units will also trump any header swap.
Can you elaborate on the "well designed intake" Basically how you did Crusher?
The U bend and keep it on the cooler side of the engine bay?

I wonder if anyone has tested the b18/b16 Honda intake mani retrofit vs. the jdm squaretop. I would think the squaretop might have a better midrange but the honda setup will have more top end. Building a honda intake manifold is one of my winter projects.
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #136
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
emilio700's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,310
Total Cats: 1,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg View Post
Can you elaborate on the "well designed intake" Basically how you did Crusher?
The U bend and keep it on the cooler side of the engine bay?

I wonder if anyone has tested the b18/b16 Honda intake mani retrofit vs. the jdm squaretop. I would think the squaretop might have a better midrange but the honda setup will have more top end. Building a honda intake manifold is one of my winter projects.
I always get asked this. A 2.5" tube about 21" long with a cone filter. That's it. Don't over think it.

Honda manifold makes more power everywhere provided the runners are long enough. The trick is getting the runners the correct length, aligning them with the ports and clearing everything on the coldside of the engine bay. I have yet to build one I'm really satisfied with. Kicking around the idea of giving up on aluminum protos (expensive) and just printing one. One of the engineers I consult for various projects can draw it. Several SLA printing facilities nearby. Yup, that's what I need to do.
emilio700 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:16 AM   #137
Junior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Irvine, Ca
Posts: 277
Total Cats: 23
Default

I support this
cjsafski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #138
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,085
Total Cats: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning Kruger Affect View Post
I think that there's 3 distinct groups of people on MT:

1. Turbo guys
2. VVT swap guys
3. People with a stock Miata window shopping for either a Turbo or VVT swap
Pretty much yeah. And the people with turbos waiting for their engines to blow up so they can VVT swap.
albumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #139
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio700 View Post
I always get asked this. A 2.5" tube about 21" long with a cone filter. That's it. Don't over think it.

Honda manifold makes more power everywhere provided the runners are long enough. The trick is getting the runners the correct length, aligning them with the ports and clearing everything on the coldside of the engine bay. I have yet to build one I'm really satisfied with. Kicking around the idea of giving up on aluminum protos (expensive) and just printing one. One of the engineers I consult for various projects can draw it. Several SLA printing facilities nearby. Yup, that's what I need to do.
Given any thought to printing it in ABS and then wrapping it with FG or CF? It how we made the formula car intakes. And they seem fairly resistant to cracking considering they were normally at a much larger cantilever than a miata engine off of an engine that shakes considerably more. Disclosure, I've never run the same one for more than 10 hours.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #140
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,484
Total Cats: 248
Default

I'll donate time if I can help with CAD modeling in any way. I do not know how to properly use the CFD add-in in solidworks though.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Well tuned naturally aspirated example project? asmasm MEGAsquirt 21 09-23-2015 11:53 AM
Project DDoS: '99 "Budget" boost build ProjectDDoS Build Threads 1 09-09-2015 02:52 PM
Anything To Gain from Using Piggyback on N/A car? 2000SE ECUs and Tuning 5 09-08-2015 12:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.