Current Events, News, Politics Keep the politics here.

The Current Events, News, and Politics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 02:21 PM

Total Cats: 56

The prices are inflated to net the requirement.

Originally Posted by Braineack
Shuiends bought me a Milton Freedman shirt; I tend to wear it when I'll be around libs.
Libs don't like responsible spending. Maybe not being responsible in general.
Old 05-15-2024, 02:26 PM
I identify as a bear.

Total Cats: 6,635

Originally Posted by xturner
Joe - did you ever take a good look at an Explanation of Benefits and check out the charges?
Oh, yeah. $27 box of facial tissues, $80 aspirin...

As you noted, Hospitals also get stiffed on the bill, a lot. According to this source, 65% of all patient billing never gets paid. (That's patient billing, not insurance billing.) And according to this source, 43 million Americans in 2021 had unpaid medical bills on their credit report. That's about 9% of the adult population of the US.

Hospitals are also crazy expensive to run. Sure, that EKG stress test only cost the hospital about $50 in terms of the nurses' time, but there is a massive amount of overhead which often goes unseen. Accountants, lawyers, compliance officers, bribes to public officials... and can you even imagine what sort of insurance bills they must pay? Both for general liability and also for malpractice. The total amount of monetary damages paid in malpractice suits is in the billions of dollars per year.

Plus, of course, the amortized cost of all of that fancy equipment that goes "whrr" and "beep." Have you gone shopping for an MRI machine lately? The nice ones run about $3 million upfront, and they burn through super-cooled helium to the tune of about $30k a tank, and get lavished with very frequent (and costly) inspection and maintenance. The same goes for pretty much every single piece of fancy gear in the place.

And it's only getting worse.

Each and every time Congress passes another bill to ensure patient privacy, or protect patients' rights, or anything along those lines, it adds yet more overhead cost to the hospital. (And also probably contains a rider which increases police power to perform warrantless surveillance of citizens, and also provides for some kickbacks to themselves.) Hospitals have whole departments which do nothing but constantly self-audit to ensure that they are complying with all of the bureaucratic requirements heaped upon them. It's not even consistent across the country, as every state also has their own set of regulations.

And when was the last time that Congress voted to eliminate a regulation?
Old 05-15-2024, 03:30 PM
Boost Czar

Total Cats: 4,080

Originally Posted by Joe Perez
And when was the last time that Congress voted to eliminate a regulation?
Every time Dems get in control.

One of Biden's very first acts was to deregulate the border and remove the cost cap on insulin.

In my study of communist societies, I came to the conclusion that the purpose of communist propaganda was not to persuade or convince, not to inform, but to humiliate; and therefore, the less it corresponded to reality the better. When people are forced to remain silent when they are being told the most obvious lies, or even worse when they are forced to repeat the lies themselves, they lose once and for all their sense of probity. To assent to obvious lies is in some small way to become evil oneself. One's standing to resist anything is thus eroded, and even destroyed. A society of emasculated liars is easy to control. - Theodore Dalrymple

Last edited by Braineack; 05-15-2024 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:58 PM
I identify as a bear.

Originally Posted by Braineack
Every time Dems get in control.

One of Biden's very first acts was to deregulate the border and remove the cost cap on insulin.

Old 05-15-2024, 04:00 PM
Boost Czar

Old 05-16-2024, 10:48 AM
I identify as a bear.

Joe, I honestly don’t mean to insult your business, but the 75th-rated network is not exactly NBC or The NY Times.
Also, Jesus, some of the helpdesk tickets which we get...

This is from one of the anchors of NewsNation. She is also someone whose social media posts contain more #hashtags than actual content.

The ticket: "My office tv remote is no longer working. I was out for a week. Not sure if the batteries are dead or if there’s a connectivity issue. "

Really? The TV remote in your office might have a dead battery? How about you, oh, I dunno... replace the ******* battery? I have a pretty good idea of how much you get paid, and it's enough that a single pack of AAAs every year or two isn't gonna bankrupt you. What, do you think I just stock batteries in the parts room? Why the **** would I do that? None of my **** is battery operated. Except for the TVs in MY ******* office, and you wanna know how I deal with **** when one of the four remotes I have on my side desk has a dead battery? I buy a ******* new battery.

(deep breath...)

Yes, I know that the anchors in NYC are just as bratty... But, c'mon, lady! This is ******* Chicago! We're made of stronger stuff than those sissies who get chauffeured by limo from their palace in Long Island every day. You drive your own ******* self to work every day. I know this, because you almost hit me with your ******* Tesla in the parking lot the other day.

Tesla... Tesla... Oh, right, that's the car which has ******* >BATTERIES< in it. You want me to change those too?
Old 05-16-2024, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 1,265

My company provides batteries for everything from the Fluke amp meters to wireless mice to digital calipers. If I use it at work, I expect the company to maintain it, including batteries. Just sayin'.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:22 AM

Total Cats: 233

Also, Jesus, some of the helpdesk tickets which we get...

This is from one of the anchors of NewsNation. She is also someone whose social media posts contain more #hashtags than actual content.

The ticket: "My office tv remote is no longer working. I was out for a week. Not sure if the batteries are dead or if there’s a connectivity issue. "
You should have asked her to try re-booting the remote to make sure it wasn’t a connectivity issue.
Or maybe suggest that the network is no longer supporting remotes, to encourage more physical activity.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:49 PM
I identify as a bear.

You should have asked her to try re-booting the remote to make sure it wasn’t a connectivity issue.
Or maybe suggest that the network is no longer supporting remotes, to encourage more physical activity.

Also, the conspiracy theories have already begun:

Old 05-16-2024, 02:02 PM

Total Cats: 233

That’s worrying over nothing. Look at the moderators for the first debate -

Old 05-16-2024, 03:01 PM
I identify as a bear.

That’s worrying over nothing. Look at the moderators for the first debate -
I'm a bit saddened (and slightly surprised) that the June debate is going to be on a cable-only channel. I need to figure out how I'm going to get that signal streamed to my house...

I do hope that RFKj qualifies and gets to participate. Not that I'm particularly stoked on him as a President, but having a third-party candidate standing there on equal terms with the Dem and Rep candidates, during what promises to be one of the most-watched and most-analyzed debates in the history of television, will go a long way towards shaping public perception of the viability of breaking the two-party system which has monopolized the Executive branch ever since Millard Fillmore left office.

EDIT:

I hadn't really been paying too much attention to The Donald recently, but I just watched the YouTube clip where he's calling out Biden directly, taunting him.

It reminds me of last year, when Elon Musk was challenging Zuckernutter to "a literal dick measuring contest."

**** like that makes politics fun.

Hell, we need to construct an MMA / UFC-style fighting cage right out there on the lawn in between the Ulysses S. Grant Memorial and the Capitol Building. Who is willing to write to their US Representative and encourage them to fund that? That's one place I'd actually enjoy seeing my tax dollars squandered.

You wanna bust this filibuster? How about I bust your ***? TO THE OCTAGON!

Last edited by Joe Perez; 05-16-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:43 PM
I identify as a bear.

Oopsie, I committed wrongthink.

I was pretty pleased with myself about that little monologue advocating for a Congressional Deathmatch Arena, so I decided to share it in a place where lefties can see it, too.

A few seconds after I hit "Post," this popped up.

I hit "Post anyway," of course. Curious to see whether FB actually has the ovaries to follow up on that auto-generated threat about "potential account restrictions."
Old 05-16-2024, 08:32 PM

Total Cats: 114

Oopsie, I committed wrongthink.

I was pretty pleased with myself about that little monologue advocating for a Congressional Deathmatch Arena, so I decided to share it in a place where lefties can see it, too.

A few seconds after I hit "Post," this popped up.

I hit "Post anyway," of course. Curious to see whether FB actually has the ovaries to follow up on that auto-generated threat about "potential account restrictions."
There's no room for your political extremism on Facebook, dude.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:07 PM
Boost Czar

when a liar is your key witness:

Old 05-16-2024, 10:46 PM
I identify as a bear.

Originally Posted by Stock
It would appear, in all seriousness, that there is not.

I do not know any of FB's higher level execs personally. They occupy a totally different space from me and my own cohorts in the mainstream (aka: legacy) media. We do not attend the same parties.

This will be like the third or fourth personal experience I have had with the FB thought police, though. No surprises here.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:55 PM
Elite Member

Total Cats: 587

Originally Posted by Stock
This actually made me lol.

******* facebook kicked me off for not using my full name and wanted a copy of my photo ID to get access back. I checked out when they did that.
Old Today, 06:55 PM
I identify as a bear.

MAGA apologists: "Climate change is bullshit!"

Florida residents on the gulf coast:" Yeah, it's only 107° today, which is May 18 2024, not even into summer yet. Totally cool with this. Let's go, Brandon."