1.6 rear end on a 40k mile turbo (160k total) - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Total Cats: 0
Default 1.6 rear end on a 40k mile turbo (160k total)

Running 8psi?

Am I nuts to consider buying this car? If its lasted running 8psi I guess it means the owner didnt drive like a moron? He seems pretty honest about everything. I know I would have to replace it very soon and it will be about $1k. Just want a second opinion.
ataimobrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

it doesn't have to cost $1K to upgrade, and it won't necessarily blow if you don't abuse it.

I spent $250 on a complete torsen assembly from a local junkyard, $100 on axles, and $50 for a driveshaft.

then i sold the stock parts for $300. So 90% less than you suggested it will cost.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,185
Total Cats: 2,582
Default

Ive seen package deals on here for 600 before.
Biggest determining factor on its reliability will be how its treated. Baby it and it should last long enough for you to save up for a real rear end.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
meatbag
iTrader: (50)
 
gospeed81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,357
Total Cats: 26
Default

I'm not going to lie...mine stood up to over a year of serious abuse at 12psi....and atleast 50K miles. Car already had 230K miles on it before going turbo.
gospeed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guam (U.S Terr.)
Posts: 786
Total Cats: -2
Default

I still have mine going at 160,000 miles. 20 thousand on low boost. Before i read up on miata's, I would slam it in first and stand burn with 16in wheels. I still beat the **** out of it (stock wheels now) lol! I did at least 25-30 1/4 runs last year (14 sec passes) with hard launches.
mike_671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guam (U.S Terr.)
Posts: 786
Total Cats: -2
Default

I like to believe that I'm one of the guys who got a "lucky" pumpkin to come off the assembly line. Because iv seen my friend break his with just a 1.8 motor swap with bolts on
mike_671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TN
Posts: 328
Total Cats: 4
Default

My 1.6 lsd has over 200k total miles including the last 18k at low boost, and it's holding up well.
southernmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
samnavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Posts: 6,020
Total Cats: 175
Default

You don't tell us enough about the car. 8psi could be 150whp or 250whp... give us more info.

If it's street-driven responsibly, 200whp is no big deal. But 200whp drifting and doing drag-launches spells trouble... especially if there's some decent rubber out there.

I put about 100k miles on a 1.6 dif between 180-220whp and was what I would call "street abusive"... but no drifting or clutch-drop launches. And that was all on 195series Toyos T1S/T1R, so not too sticky, but not stock either.

Tell us more about the car, link the ad, post pics, put up a build list... making a buying decision on a 100% dead-easy cheap repair/replace item doesn't make sense to me.
samnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 AM   #9
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Total Cats: 0
Default

thanks everyone! Makes me feel better. I got a quote from a miata specialist and it was 1.5k to upgrade to a 1.8, that included everything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
it doesn't have to cost $1K to upgrade, and it won't necessarily blow if you don't abuse it.

I spent $250 on a complete torsen assembly from a local junkyard, $100 on axles, and $50 for a driveshaft.

then i sold the stock parts for $300. So 90% less than you suggested it will cost.
Did you swap it yourself? If so, was it easy? I dont know if I could do it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeed81 View Post
I'm not going to lie...mine stood up to over a year of serious abuse at 12psi....and atleast 50K miles. Car already had 230K miles on it before going turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_671 View Post
I still have mine going at 160,000 miles. 20 thousand on low boost. Before i read up on miata's, I would slam it in first and stand burn with 16in wheels. I still beat the **** out of it (stock wheels now) lol! I did at least 25-30 1/4 runs last year (14 sec passes) with hard launches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_671 View Post
I like to believe that I'm one of the guys who got a "lucky" pumpkin to come off the assembly line. Because iv seen my friend break his with just a 1.8 motor swap with bolts on
lol! Sounds like you guys have been lucky.



Quote:
Originally Posted by samnavy View Post
You don't tell us enough about the car. 8psi could be 150whp or 250whp... give us more info.

If it's street-driven responsibly, 200whp is no big deal. But 200whp drifting and doing drag-launches spells trouble... especially if there's some decent rubber out there.

I put about 100k miles on a 1.6 dif between 180-220whp and was what I would call "street abusive"... but no drifting or clutch-drop launches. And that was all on 195series Toyos T1S/T1R, so not too sticky, but not stock either.

Tell us more about the car, link the ad, post pics, put up a build list... making a buying decision on a 100% dead-easy cheap repair/replace item doesn't make sense to me.
Im not sure how much whp its on. I dont think the guy has abused it (drifting, clutch drops) but I do think he has driven fast on the roads. I only have got one quote for a 1.8 rear end and everything came to $1.5k. I have the money to do it immediately so if it went its not terrible. The last car I bought ended up needing 3.5k in repairs and needed new tires so Im very worried it will happen again. I guess my main concern was that I would have to change it immediately and possible have some other issues but it seems I could get away with it for a bit longer. I think I'll have it inspected and if its in good condition I'll buy it.

This is what has been done to the engine


GReddy Turbocharger
305cc injectors
Head ported
Innovate Wide Band O2 + gauge
2core aluminum radiator.
Bowser Heat Shield
BRPerformance Bipes ACU
2.5" Enthuza Turbo Exhaust
2.5" Racing Mazda Downpipe
Jackson Racing High Flow Cat
Stripes Intercooler Pipes
18x12x2.5 Intercooler
Greddy Type RS BOV
K&N Air Filter
BEGi AFPR
Walbro 190 Fuel Pump
TrackDog Radiator Cowl Cover
SPEC Stage 2 Clutch
Braided Clutch Lines
ataimobrut is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turbo 1995 Miata Low mileage Clean Tekel Cars for sale/trade 29 02-05-2016 05:16 PM
Charlotte - 1.6 ECU/Injectors, '94 R Pacakage Stuff Dustin Miata parts for sale/trade 4 09-23-2015 11:34 PM
Partial Turbo kit for a 1.6 and dual headlight kit. Andifer Miata parts for sale/trade 8 09-23-2015 06:43 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.