Best Place to Purchase a Engine?!?!? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 259
Total Cats: 0
Default Best Place to Purchase a Engine?!?!?

Looking for a 1.6l Engine; About to invest in a new motor go through it repace seals, pumps, and tap the oil pan for oil return. I'd like to get a JDM motor with lower miles (50-60k) but unsure if JDM motors have anything different (sensors etc) than mine (i know it was built in japan just unsure if they had differant cars that stayed there and others built for the US). Sorry if I sound stupid about this....just never swam in these waters before.

I know there are several other places that sell decent engines such as Planet Miata, etc that mileage is unknown but they do some great testing etc and know what they're talking about...miata wise.

Looking for suggestions and opinions on the best way to get what I want without getting a POS.
danscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 338
Total Cats: 0
Default

what location? i have a 1.6 with 160k that i'm not gonna use, I'm in Texas...
Mouglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 AM   #3
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,591
Total Cats: 0
Default

yeah, where are you located?
zoom2zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

Honestly, if you are going that far it might be best to do a basic full rebuild. Also if you are in the central California region and are interested in going that far, ill sell you the motor I pulled from my 225k mile project car for $80 picked up. The head was pulled out of curiosity, and the only hitch is that the oil pan is not usable as it has hareline cracks all over the place that leaked oil.

If you could do you own work, the head would cost about $50 for the resurface and nothing else as you could lap the valves in yourself and clean up the combustion chamber and ports with a dremel or other rotary tool. Then for the block if it is still in good condition (likely), all you would need is new rings, bearings, and a good hone job on the bores.

After the bottom and top are done all that is needed is the pumps and seals, headgasket being the most expensive. Anyway, it was just a thought.
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryrye View Post
Honestly, if you are going that far it might be best to do a basic full rebuild. Also if you are in the central California region and are interested in going that far, ill sell you the motor I pulled from my 225k mile project car for $80 picked up. The head was pulled out of curiosity, and the only hitch is that the oil pan is not usable as it has hareline cracks all over the place that leaked oil.

If you could do you own work, the head would cost about $50 for the resurface and nothing else as you could lap the valves in yourself and clean up the combustion chamber and ports with a dremel or other rotary tool. Then for the block if it is still in good condition (likely), all you would need is new rings, bearings, and a good hone job on the bores.

After the bottom and top are done all that is needed is the pumps and seals, headgasket being the most expensive. Anyway, it was just a thought.
arp studs and mainbearing are a good idea too.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 259
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'm located in daytona beach, fl. I don't care to have something shipped to me rather than picked up; I work for a maufacture that does alot of shipping and we get some really nice discounts on freight so it won't hurt my wallet that bad for shipping. I guess I would perfer not to mess with the bottom end; machine work etc if I change this will add conciderable cost and I just have a better feeling about leaving it be. I'm going to take off the head and do arp studs and most likely a cometic head gasket.
danscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

http://www.risingsunengines.com/ this place even hot runs the motors for you. they can get you a solid lifter head 1.6 for around 800.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 338
Total Cats: 0
Default

500 for engine and tranny or 300 for engine
if you can figure out the shipping or pickup...
PM a number if interested...
Mouglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

i wish i remember where i got mine....some importer in FL...really cheap ($400), cheap shipping to va ($150)....just can't remember the source.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 259
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouglie View Post
500 for engine and tranny or 300 for engine
if you can figure out the shipping or pickup...
PM a number if interested...
PM me with mileage etc. Was it in your car previously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
i wish i remember where i got mine....some importer in FL...really cheap ($400), cheap shipping to va ($150)....just can't remember the source.
Wish you could remember! lol...it wasn't JDM Addiction (www.jdmaddiction.com // Ocala) or All Japanise Engines (ebay or www.alljapaneseengines.com; couldn't get the site to work // Miami) was it?
danscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:17 PM   #11
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

yeah i think it was All Japanese actually, (305)685-2550
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 259
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
yeah i think it was All Japanese actually, (305)685-2550
Yep thats the number they gave me to call. How was your experience and how was the quality of the engine?
danscreations is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 AM.