Boost a 185k motor? - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 244
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'd put a keen eye on the oil pressure. I boosted a Volvo (I know, I know) with 200K on it, but didn't put in an OPG. Low idle pressure + the heat of the turboz + the pressure drop from the turboz = kilded motor and cam.
kyle242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #22
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marysville, California
Posts: 203
Total Cats: 0
Default

i'm doing it... i have about 182 right now...i don't have much miles on it yet...but doing about 12 psi....miata motors are cheap....i'll buy another one if i blow it up...unlike honda...their motor are in the gs...heheh...
Eunos_roadsterna6ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:45 AM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242gt View Post
I'd put a keen eye on the oil pressure. I boosted a Volvo (I know, I know) with 200K on it, but didn't put in an OPG. Low idle pressure + the heat of the turboz + the pressure drop from the turboz = kilded motor and cam.
Under full throttle and full boost we watch our oil pressure bounce between 20 - 80psi rapidly when the engine passes about 5700rpm.. That 206,000 mile motor has a newly re manufactured oil pump with around 100,000 miles on it now.. I blame the oil problem on the fact that the pump came from parts America.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunos_roadsterna6ce View Post
i'm doing it... i have about 182 right now...i don't have much miles on it yet...but doing about 12 psi....miata motors are cheap....i'll buy another one if i blow it up...unlike honda...their motor are in the gs...heheh...

hahahaha. Between the two of us we've got 4 spare motors..
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,049
Total Cats: 4
Default

Boosted mine at about 145k. Been running ~7lbs for a few thousand miles with no problems.

Well one problem....I keep wanting to turn the boost up.
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,084
Total Cats: 0
Default

mine is at -15 psi and i still only barely keep the POS running, you lucky bastards
mazda/nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #26
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 48
Total Cats: 0
Default

Does someone have either the Greddy or the Begi S kit install instructions they could post up or email me? I'd like to see how difficult of an install it's going to be. I'm just a little confused as to where/how I attach the oil feed/return lines, and if the block has to be drilled and tapped. I think I am confusing myself with everything I have read on honda-tech.com from when I had my '88civic hatch I was going to boost it the DIY way.....
w8lifter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #27
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Under full throttle and full boost we watch our oil pressure bounce between 20 - 80psi rapidly when the engine passes about 5700rpm.. That 206,000 mile motor has a newly re manufactured oil pump with around 100,000 miles on it now.. I blame the oil problem on the fact that the pump came from parts America.





hahahaha. Between the two of us we've got 4 spare motors..
That rapid bouncing could be detonation. Try pulling a little timing around that area
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #28
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marysville, California
Posts: 203
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8lifter21 View Post
Does someone have either the Greddy or the Begi S kit install instructions they could post up or email me? I'd like to see how difficult of an install it's going to be. I'm just a little confused as to where/how I attach the oil feed/return lines, and if the block has to be drilled and tapped. I think I am confusing myself with everything I have read on honda-tech.com from when I had my '88civic hatch I was going to boost it the DIY way.....

this is what i used to install my turbo kit..i used the instruction from flying miata..see if it will help you.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/support/turbo.asp
Eunos_roadsterna6ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 48
Total Cats: 0
Default

Good lookin out. Time to get me read on!
w8lifter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.