capri xr2 motor swap - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #21
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

what would the advantage of getting that POS swaped?? give a reasonable answer and I'll stop busting your *****.
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #22
Junior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 227
Total Cats: 0
Default

Dude, do some reading. Look at p51's build. He was super budget. If you've got a t25 why not just get another cheap 1.6 or even 1.8 and get a mani and downpipe? IMO if you're going for budget, stick with something that's been done and there is support for. Oh and I bought my Greddy kit brand new like 6 years ago for a grand. You can find them cheap if you stalk the for sale section.
2k6750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #23
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,109
Total Cats: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Banks- View Post
i was just asking. it was a question i came across when i figured out the capri has a b6 motor. ill find out for myself.
Sorry about being so IN YOUR FACE about it, but I had to get the point across. If it's originality you're after, a Capri motor swap is your answer, but just know we have no answers currently. Good luck.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Renton Washington
Posts: 1,742
Total Cats: 3
Default

If you really want to swap a capri motor in your car, go for it. I figured you want some input from people who have turbo'd these engines. The parts for the MS are like 300 dollars. Solder it yourself. Whatever you do good luck on your quest. (no e-thuggin intended)
SKMetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #25
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 02184-5505 Braintree, MA
Posts: 237
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon01 View Post
what would the advantage of getting that POS swaped?? give a reasonable answer and I'll stop busting your *****.
theres no reason you should be busting my *****, i asked a simple question, if anybody knew anything about the capri motors and their compatibility in miatas. thats all i asked.

i appreciate the alternative feedback but really, i bought the car witht he intentions of boosting it...therefore,

have already learned that sourcing out a turbo kit is a good possiblility, even on the cheap. which is why i bought the car in the first place.

if you really must need a reason to stop busting my *****, it has a OEM turbo setup, it has an ecu that is tuned for the b6 motor under boost, no need for standalone or bandaid, less miles than my motor, runs unlike my motor, is cheaper than sourcing out my own kit and tuning it, they go very cheap in junkyards (same price as a miata b6) would be easier to upgrade since the motor is already boosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k6750 View Post
Dude, do some reading. Look at p51's build. He was super budget. If you've got a t25 why not just get another cheap 1.6 or even 1.8 and get a mani and downpipe? IMO if you're going for budget, stick with something that's been done and there is support for. Oh and I bought my Greddy kit brand new like 6 years ago for a grand. You can find them cheap if you stalk the for sale section.
i have seen his build. i havent ruled out sourcing my own kit. its first on my list, i just wanted to see if this was an option.

im going to find the answers to my own questions the hard way. ill come back once my miata is boosted, or the motor is swapped.
-Banks- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

Whatever, good luck.
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #27
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 02184-5505 Braintree, MA
Posts: 237
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon01 View Post
Whatever, good luck.

thanks.
-Banks- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:10 AM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle, Wa
Posts: 1,780
Total Cats: 30
Default

I'll just provide some clarification here.

The block and head are the same and will just drop right in if you switch out a few things, most notable the CAS and the manifolds. I'm just talking about the bare longblock here, I make no promises about accesories. Any way you spin it though, you WILL need a new exhaust manifold/downpipe/turbo because it is currently set up for FWD and the turbo is facing the wrong direction.

The ECU wont work, it relies on a distributor and therefor wont work with the miata ignition system. The voodoo box is a waste of money. If you are good with wiring and soldering as you claim, you would have no problem putting together a megasquirt for something like $250 dollars ( no bullshit here, I'm pretty sure the grand total on the one I built for my friend was ~260 with some extra options).

There are some good reasons to do this swap, 7.8:1 compression being one of them. Running compression that low will allow you to run a stupid amount of boost on pump gas. On a good tune, you could feasibly have a fairly reliable car in the ballpark of 260whp. ( But without a megasquirt or some other "real" form of engine management, you wont even come close to being able to take advantage of what that motor would be capable of).

You want to drop in a "turbo" motor, but its not that simple. With all of the parts you would need to make this work, you are basically buying about 90% of a turbo kit. PLUS a motor. It would honestly be cheaper to just save up and get a BEGI-S or a Shanghai.
Jeff_Ciesielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #29
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 02184-5505 Braintree, MA
Posts: 237
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Ciesielski View Post
I'll just provide some clarification here.

The block and head are the same and will just drop right in if you switch out a few things, most notable the CAS and the manifolds. I'm just talking about the bare longblock here, I make no promises about accesories. Any way you spin it though, you WILL need a new exhaust manifold/downpipe/turbo because it is currently set up for FWD and the turbo is facing the wrong direction.
thanks for being the first person to accurately answer this thread correctly.


i had a feeling that the turbo wouldnt be facing the right way. wouldve been the same story if i had done the mitsubishi mighty max > 4g63 swap, except that no modification to the intake manifold wouldve been necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Ciesielski View Post
The ECU wont work, it relies on a distributor and therefor wont work with the miata ignition system.
now i at least know that this swap is not possible on my budget, at least it can be done, but with modifcation.

again, thank you for this post, had someone answered with a post like this i wouldnt have spent so much time answering and arguing about **** i already knew.

like i said, i will be back once my miata is boosted. (or if i do a 2j swap, since that looks to be very possible) i dont want to deal with **** like this, i was asking a simple question.
-Banks- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 AM   #30
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,927
Total Cats: 526
Default

You could whine a little more if you want, I'm sure that will help
Welcome to the world of online forums man. If you have thin skin and you're asking a question people might not understand, you'll end up taking your toys home and pouting--every time.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #31
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,109
Total Cats: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
You could whine a little more if you want, I'm sure that will help
Welcome to the world of online forums man. If you have thin skin and you're asking a question people might not understand, you'll end up taking your toys home and pouting--every time.
No, no, it is ME who would like to extend a warm welcome to the world of forums to YOU. This particular forum has post dates with each post. And this particular post is roughly 9 months and 3 days old. Please refrain from bumping old threads, they're most likely dead for a reason.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #32
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,927
Total Cats: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
No, no, it is ME who would like to extend a warm welcome to the world of forums to YOU. This particular forum has post dates with each post. And this particular post is roughly 9 months and 3 days old. Please refrain from bumping old threads, they're most likely dead for a reason.
Oh Crap, my bad! Totally didnt look at the post date, just came up in a search. hey, at least I was using the search :P

/threadbump
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
Noob to Miataturbo from MA JxPhan Meet and Greet 3 10-02-2015 03:17 AM
Low oil pressure after 1.8 swap and new turbo setup JesseTheNoob DIY Turbo Discussion 15 09-30-2015 03:44 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM
VR6 to Miata Swap ScrapinMX5 Meet and Greet 8 09-28-2015 02:04 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 PM.