Clutch Slave Failure - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default Clutch Slave Failure

Problem: After a spirited boosted drive, loss of ability to disengage clutch.

Symptoms: Very "soft" clutch pedal, inactive clutch hydraulics, loss of clutch fluid

Solution: Replace clutch slave cylinder, fill system with brake fluid and bleed. Tools required: 8, 10, 12 mm wrenches, rags. Time required: 45 minutes. Difficulty (1-10) 3. Note: Rinse brake fluid off of any surface it contacts with a liberal amount of water.

Cost: $30 for new slave, $5 for a can of brake fluid.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,872
Total Cats: 1,790
Default

i tend to leave the spilled fluid. adds to the DIY factor. :gay:

glad that's all it was!
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
i tend to leave the spilled fluid. adds to the DIY factor. :gay:

glad that's all it was!
Also removes paint very nicely; but it seems to re-vitalize rubber.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,242
Total Cats: 290
Default

ben- where'd you get the slave? Weird thing is I called two parts stores and they both wanted the cast number on the existing slave to spec the new part. Apparently there's a running change in slaves on the 90. Wonder what it is. I was going to use a B2xxx slave for better fitment, but when I went to hook it up, it's got a different compression fitting on it than the original slave/line- wonder if that's it?

Last edited by m2cupcar; 12-05-2006 at 01:03 PM.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Slave came from Main Auto in Lawrenceville. They required no information beyond make and model. I asked for it Friday at 5 pm and they had it Saturday morning. Good people.

I have an account there (wholesale), so I can order you one if you need...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2cupcar View Post
ben- where'd you get the slave? Weird thing is I called two parts stores and they both wanted the cast number on the existing slave to spec the new part. Apparently there's a running change in slaves on the 90. Wonder what it is. I was going to use a B2xxx slave for better fitment, but when I went to hook it up, it's got a different compression fitting on it than the original slave/line- wonder if that's it?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,242
Total Cats: 290
Default

both OReilly's and AutoZone asked for existing part number cast on the slave- odd. I'll just give it to 'em and get it here since they're up the street. Just curious as to what the difference could possibly be.
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,168
Total Cats: 0
Default

That happened to me when I was leaving to go to an autocross. Hadn't driven it in a week. Filled the reservoir back up and haven't had a problem since.
Al Hounos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goshen, IN
Posts: 58
Total Cats: 0
Default

Didn't mean to make my first post on this forum here, but this thread caught my eye.

I have a `90 that required a clutch release cylinder replacement a month or so ago. Ordered a Seiken aftermarket cylinder, did not fit properly (hydraulic line's flare nut threaded down to the hex sides of the nut and still leaked). Upon removal, I noticed the bore for the flare nut is deeper than the factory unit, probably by >1/8" AND the flare machined into this bore would not mate properly with the hydraulic line.

Regarding the difference in cylinders for the `90, the difference lies in the kind of flare present in the flare nut bore. My original (VIN 111591) was a CONVEX flare; my replacement Seiken unit was a CONCAVE flare.

From Moss Motors (Miata.net sponsor), part numbers for the `90 cylinders are as follows:

CONCAVE flare: 903-150
CONVEX flare: 903-155

Hope this helps...oh, and I think I'll enjoy frequenting this forum.
mkrazit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
m2cupcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,242
Total Cats: 290
Default

That's the same difference I found between the truck slave and the 90 Miata slave I have which is convex. thx
m2cupcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrazit View Post
Didn't mean to make my first post on this forum here, but this thread caught my eye.

I have a `90 that required a clutch release cylinder replacement a month or so ago. Ordered a Seiken aftermarket cylinder, did not fit properly (hydraulic line's flare nut threaded down to the hex sides of the nut and still leaked). Upon removal, I noticed the bore for the flare nut is deeper than the factory unit, probably by >1/8" AND the flare machined into this bore would not mate properly with the hydraulic line.

Regarding the difference in cylinders for the `90, the difference lies in the kind of flare present in the flare nut bore. My original (VIN 111591) was a CONVEX flare; my replacement Seiken unit was a CONCAVE flare.

From Moss Motors (Miata.net sponsor), part numbers for the `90 cylinders are as follows:

CONCAVE flare: 903-150
CONVEX flare: 903-155

Hope this helps...oh, and I think I'll enjoy frequenting this forum.
Welcome. This is one of the most informative first posts yet
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 4
Default

miata weak link

clutch slave.


mine went out 4 times with my old car.
Pitlab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 12-13-2017 10:04 PM
ACT race clutch and AASCO 7lb. aluminum flywheel graexodus Miata parts for sale/trade 5 10-26-2015 02:48 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 AM.