GM iat sensor install, how deep? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 28
Total Cats: 0
Default GM iat sensor install, how deep?


hi guys i recently got ms and bought a gm iat sensor with it to delete the maf on my 93 miata, i cut a hole in the aluminum pipe and jb welded the bung that came with the gm iat and in the picture its about hand tight at the moment and its pretty tight to screw it in more, my question is. is that enough poke for the sensor to pick up the air? its about quarter of an inch or less in the piping. Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
GM iat sensor install, how deep?-80-12965950_1169639963055722_723600471_n_151f200ae57174a9dcdfadc76d038e4fdce78fee.jpg  
RuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 AM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,854
Total Cats: 271
Default

I like it deeep for teh maximum flowz
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:45 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

It should work, but ideally the element would be in the air stream better.
patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:14 AM   #4
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 695
Total Cats: 140
Default



Bosch sensor FTW. It has straight threads, so depth setting isn't done by monkey wrenching a taper or running a tap over and over again.

But I digress. You should probably have that further in the air stream for best performance/reaction.
Attached Thumbnails
GM iat sensor install, how deep?-img_20160329_192321_zpshmmwj6pv.jpg  
gesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 2,407
Total Cats: 200
Default

I went almost all the way to the top of the threads on mine. Heat soak is what you don't want, and I can confirm after last weekend, that they can and will heat soak when subjected to a constant flow if ouside hot air. With my sensor located near the radiator, waiting in line at stoplights, I was getting readings that were 50-60-70- 80 degrees over ambient.

Moved sensor to intercooler tank, threaded is real deal like, problem gone. I now read within a couple degrees of ambient.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,854
Total Cats: 271
Default

I needs to do this soon

I get the feels when I know my AIT is reading cooler air after cruising down the highway and temps are down. Even more so when it's slightly chilly outside, bigger effect & runs great.
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 2,407
Total Cats: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girz0r View Post
I needs to do this soon

I get the feels when I know my AIT is reading cooler air after cruising down the highway and temps are down. Even more so when it's slightly chilly outside, bigger effect & runs great.
It was instant gratification, and only took like three hours. Could have probably been done a lot faster with the bumper still on, but I like having room.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,680
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

*****.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:57 PM   #9
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 2,407
Total Cats: 200
Default

Need has.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,854
Total Cats: 271
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmoneypit View Post
It was instant gratification, and only took like three hours. Could have probably been done a lot faster with the bumper still on, but I like having room.
Hopefully I can swap to a Fab9 intercooler and get it prepped before installation

I think I'll have to extend the wiring as well.
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Staunton, Va
Posts: 2,407
Total Cats: 200
Default

Might not, depending on where yours was. I didn't.
ryansmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 486
Total Cats: 45
Default

As long as the sensor element, that metal saucer-shaped bit at the tip of the the GM IAT sensor, is completely in the air flow, you're accurate.

In gesso's photo, his could even have been 2-3mm shallower.

Air tends to flow more along walls, unless all your plumbing is completely straight up to the point of interest, so there's no point going in any deeper than necessary (and you just introduce more turbulance).
Lokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #13
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,680
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Air actually flows slower along the surfaces and not more quickly but it won't effect his results. The sensor is certainly exposed adequately.

For discussion of airflow over a surface study "boundary layer ".
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #14
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,896
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckRider View Post

hi guys i recently got ms and bought a gm iat sensor with it to delete the maf on my 93 miata, i cut a hole in the aluminum pipe and jb welded the bung that came with the gm iat and in the picture its about hand tight at the moment and its pretty tight to screw it in more, my question is. is that enough poke for the sensor to pick up the air? its about quarter of an inch or less in the piping. Thanks guys!
just make sure to install this pipe directly after the IC.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 514
Total Cats: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
*****.
Seven posts in? Has this website lost its touch?
TheScaryOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #16
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 32
Total Cats: 0
Default

Does anyone sell a 2.5" diameter pipe with the hole or bung fitting for the IAT? I am hesitant to try to drill my steel piping. I also thought about putting the IAT through a small hole in one of my rubber pipe connectors with maybe some sealant around the outside of the hole.
nolig2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,680
Total Cats: 1,561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolig2278 View Post
Does anyone sell a 2.5" diameter pipe with the hole or bung fitting for the IAT? I am hesitant to try to drill my steel piping. I also thought about putting the IAT through a small hole in one of my rubber pipe connectors with maybe some sealant around the outside of the hole.
You'll shoot your eye out.
sixshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:15 AM   #18
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 32
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter View Post
You'll shoot your eye out.
ok so i wont use the hole in coupler, so does anyone sell a predrilled pipe? The spectre stuff says not for turbo.
nolig2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:47 AM   #19
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (3)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,713
Total Cats: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesso View Post


Bosch sensor FTW. It has straight threads, so depth setting isn't done by monkey wrenching a taper or running a tap over and over again.

But I digress. You should probably have that further in the air stream for best performance/reaction.
Did you need to recalibrate for this sensor or are the voltages the same as GM/Delphi?
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:51 AM   #20
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof
iTrader: (3)
 
psyber_0ptix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,713
Total Cats: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolig2278 View Post
ok so i wont use the hole in coupler, so does anyone sell a predrilled pipe? The spectre stuff says not for turbo.
What size piping you need? I have one for 2.5"
psyber_0ptix is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
99 Miata street/ track/ HPDE 949 xida IL natedawg Cars for sale/trade 9 11-22-2016 09:22 PM
Noob here, turbo miata in progress (story thread w/pics) Darbymx5 DIY Turbo Discussion 16 09-06-2016 12:34 AM
FS: MSPNP 2 Plug and Play Tunable ECU for 1999-2000 Mazda Miata dwiddowmaker Miata parts for sale/trade 10 04-20-2016 09:31 PM
Miata Turbo Shuts Off faviles5566 DIY Turbo Discussion 37 04-11-2016 07:11 PM
Three Oxygen Sensors?? olderguy Engine Performance 5 04-11-2016 02:55 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 PM.