is my oil return flange too far back - Page 4 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #61
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
How about you take a better picture, i can tell you if it's like mine. Mine is kind of like that but I can't tell exactly from your photos.
I'm just asking if its a possibility, I can't take a pic.

If it is, then I'll just order a new oil pan.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #62
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

I don't think you'll have a problem with it. I would atleast test fit the motor to see if you're going to have an issue. If anything, I would have a 45* fitting on hand to replace the straight on you have because it will be pretty much impossible to hook up a drain line to that straight fitting in it's current position.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #63
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,841
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
I don't think you'll have a problem with it. I would atleast test fit the motor to see if you're going to have an issue. If anything, I would have a 45* fitting on hand to replace the straight on you have because it will be pretty much impossible to hook up a drain line to that straight fitting in it's current position.
That is a good Idea. A cheap adapter and your good. Life may be like a box of chocolates.
Toddcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #64
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default


i may be ok.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #65
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

should be fine. If anything it's just a touch too high. have whomever is with the motor install the a/c bracket and a/c and see.

then when you drop the motor in, make sure you attach the line first....going to be hard to attach with the rack in place
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #66
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default


on the clean 1.6. I could probably notch it if I have to.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #67
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granbury, TX.
Posts: 1,278
Total Cats: 1
Default

From what I've seen, looks to be in a good location...... I guess hitting the pump is the biggest concern.

Now to chime in on A/C conversation..... it is overated, bout like a heater. I drove a '61 Chevy P/U in Phoenix, AZ for 2 years with no A/C. Still have the truck, and no plans for A/C. If I get hot, just go faster. I didn't put a cage in my car, and delete everything that was a convienience for comfort. I didn't buy the car for comfort, period. A hardtop does wonders for heat abaitment, as compared to a softop; and vented wing windows are great for moving some air. I also deleted the fresh air intake box in the cowl to get a nice movement of air to the footwells at speed. Also drove two '71 VWs in Colorado for stints in the winter with no heater channels. Just bundle up. The only complaint I have as a downfall, is in the rain..... I have to carry a towel for the interior to act as a defroster. Haven't been able to hold my breath for 8 miles yet.....
Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #68
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
From what I've seen, looks to be in a good location...... I guess hitting the pump is the biggest concern.

Now to chime in on A/C conversation..... it is overated, bout like a heater. I drove a '61 Chevy P/U in Phoenix, AZ for 2 years with no A/C. Still have the truck, and no plans for A/C. If I get hot, just go faster. I didn't put a cage in my car, and delete everything that was a convienience for comfort. I didn't buy the car for comfort, period. A hardtop does wonders for heat abaitment, as compared to a softop; and vented wing windows are great for moving some air. I also deleted the fresh air intake box in the cowl to get a nice movement of air to the footwells at speed. Also drove two '71 VWs in Colorado for stints in the winter with no heater channels. Just bundle up. The only complaint I have as a downfall, is in the rain..... I have to carry a towel for the interior to act as a defroster. Haven't been able to hold my breath for 8 miles yet.....

AC isn't working very well in my green car. I'm seriously thinking about yanking it. I have other cars to drive daily. I guess it won't kill me to lose the AC, especially considering I don't really give a **** about fixing it.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #69
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

i put mine too high, was gonna grind the bracket, then decided to just pull the a/c out all together, i don't miss it, hot days are top down anyway
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:16 PM   #70
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I think I'll just drive one of my other cars when its hot.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #71
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

can I trim the ac bracket, or am I screwed?

hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #72
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

mount the compressor and see.... if the compressor doesn't block it, cut the bitch.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #73
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granbury, TX.
Posts: 1,278
Total Cats: 1
Default

Cut it....and feel proud that you have gone to great lengths to lighten your Miata.
Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #74
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,900
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
Cut it....and feel proud that you have gone to great lengths to lighten your Miata.
cutting it will be useless if the compressor still sits in front of the bung...it needs to be test fitted first to see what you are really dealing with.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #75
Tour de Franzia
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

I think I'm just going to be a man and pull the AC out of the car. If it so hot that I need air conditioning, I probably won't want to drive the turbo miata anyway. I don't plan on doing any 105* track days in the summer either, so I won't need the AC on the commute to and from the track either. I should also note that the AC doesn't really work right now either.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #76
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granbury, TX.
Posts: 1,278
Total Cats: 1
Default

I have a compressor and all its associated workings if you can't stand the hardened life......it's just collecting dust.
Was working just fine before I depressurized and removed.
Least I can do since the hood wasn't good enough for ya!
Machismo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 04:00 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Moroso Air Oil Separator Catch Can Aroundcorner Miata parts for sale/trade 2 10-01-2015 04:20 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 PM.