r-compound suggestions. - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default r-compound size suggestions.

i'm just curious what sized R-compund tires you guys are running for auto-x. any suggestions?

p.s.: i wanted to look for any related threads but the "search" button wasn't working, so please don't give me a hard time.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

Price? How much life do you expect to get? How serious are you about competing? What class?
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 790
Total Cats: 0
Default

V710 is the best bang for buck in autox.
Hoosier A6 is the fastest in autox.
Nitto NT-01 / Toyo RA-1 are the best overall R-comps. Do both track/autox decently and are CHEAP for R's.

/thread.
reddroptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

well.....i will definitely be running Hankook Z214 in a C7 compound in SM2. I am just curious about ideal fitment, interference, rubbing, etc. thanks.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

how wide is the wheel you want to mount them on, this will determine the size best for you...
if you are getting both, get 275 A6's on some 15x10's ya ya ya
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 790
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget racer View Post
well.....i will definitely be running Hankook Z214 in a C7 compound in SM2. I am just curious about ideal fitment, interference, rubbing, etc. thanks.
Why would you ask for tire suggestions if you are definitely running the hankooks.

reddroptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

1006678 C71 225/45ZR15Size 7.5 7.0-8.5 44 1202 22.8 8.9 8.4 4 911 $187
only size I see in c7
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,904
Total Cats: 4
Default

What size wheels are you planning on running?
How much power are you putting down?

Look up dan pedroza and look up his old sm2 car to see what he ran.

I run 225/50/15's on the factory 6" wide alloy. I dont give a hoot about what people say about running the 205 for gearing as I feel that grip provided by the 225 negates the change in gearing around a tight course and offers more of a benifit on wide open courses.


So it comes down to this. What do you want guess that didnt help much.

I would go with V710's though, I would argue that the A6's are not that much better, at least not 200 dollars per tire better.

Stay away from the Kook's. The are more a road race compound, even the so called autoX compound. It does not heat up enough.
Pitlab77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddroptop View Post
Why would you ask for tire suggestions if you are definitely running the hankooks.

read the question again, mm'kay, thanks.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabac View Post
how wide is the wheel you want to mount them on, this will determine the size best for you...
if you are getting both, get 275 A6's on some 15x10's ya ya ya
i don't have any wheels yet. i was going to base that purchase on what you guys thought the optimal tire size was.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlab77 View Post
What size wheels are you planning on running?
How much power are you putting down?

Look up dan pedroza and look up his old sm2 car to see what he ran.

I run 225/50/15's on the factory 6" wide alloy. I dont give a hoot about what people say about running the 205 for gearing as I feel that grip provided by the 225 negates the change in gearing around a tight course and offers more of a benifit on wide open courses.


So it comes down to this. What do you want guess that didnt help much.

I would go with V710's though, I would argue that the A6's are not that much better, at least not 200 dollars per tire better.

Stay away from the Kook's. The are more a road race compound, even the so called autoX compound. It does not heat up enough.
basing wheel size on tire suggestion.
161rwhp
will look it up, thanks.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget racer View Post
i don't have any wheels yet. i was going to base that purchase on what you guys thought the optimal tire size was.
OK-so what is your budget then...as pit says, kook's not so good for auto-x, better than street, but why waste money on them when you can get real auto-x tires...
find out what wheels you can afford? (6ULs?)
at that low power you should be ok with 225-45-15s Hoosier A6's IMO
Mount them on some 15x8, if you cant afford it go with 15x7.5
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 721
Total Cats: 0
Default

The Hankooks are coming to me at a price that i can't deny, so they are a definitely the tire i will be using. i would like to go with a cheap wheel.....just a racing steelie, nothing fancy. just wanted to know what size tire (and corresponding wheel size/offset) people were having the most success with.
budget racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

I'd rather run an old set of factory 15s than cheap steel wheels.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

say no to steelies, too heavy
get some rota slipstreams in 15x7.5 since you are going with the 225 kook's
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15X7-...spagenameZWD1V
try to get them in a lower offset though, pretty cheap wheel
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charleston,SC 14x7 +28 RPF1's and RB Sway bar shiz Miata parts for sale/trade 0 02-28-2013 07:36 PM
Brake suggestions. Pitlab77 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 12 04-14-2012 04:10 AM
Need Some Manifold Suggestions. patsmx5 DIY Turbo Discussion 43 12-18-2008 04:34 PM
NB, here I come! samnavy General Miata Chat 11 11-17-2008 12:03 PM
R-compounds on the street? racerx General Miata Chat 70 12-19-2007 07:51 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.