too cheap? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


General Miata Chat A place to talk about anything Miata

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
ruger988
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Total Cats: 0
Default too cheap?

i was under the impression all LSD's were in the 4 - 500 range?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91...spagenameZWDVW
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Concord, North Carolina
Posts: 4,173
Total Cats: 5
Default

thats a VSLD, a weaker 6" that were in the 1.6 cars..all of the 1.8 LSDs are going for much more than that.
miatamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
ruger988
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatamania View Post
thats a VSLD, a weaker 6" that were in the 1.6 cars..all of the 1.8 LSDs are going for much more than that.
too weak for someone who wants to get to and stay right at 200-225WHP?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

1.6 rears have been known to blow stock... so 200+ whp is really pushing it.

Tabs just blew his, 10psi on a Greddy.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
ruger988
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotomile View Post
1.6 rears have been known to blow stock... so 200+ whp is really pushing it.

Tabs just blew his, 10psi on a Greddy.
so the VLSD is just as weak as the OPEN diff?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
kotomile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 7,578
Total Cats: 40
Default

all 1.6 (6") diffs are the same strength.
kotomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 531
Total Cats: 0
Default

its the ring and pinion that makes it weak. and the 1.6, 6" is garbage.

Ive heard of people babying 6" diffs at higher hp, but I chewed mine apart on stock power, so I guess it could go either way
VRTSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 AM   #8
ruger988
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRTSid View Post
its the ring and pinion that makes it weak. and the 1.6, 6" is garbage.

Ive heard of people babying 6" diffs at higher hp, but I chewed mine apart on stock power, so I guess it could go either way
so if you were 18 and had....limited....money right now..would you do a cheap 1.6 VLSD....cheapER 1.6 open......or borrow as much as you could from as many people as you could to try to do a 1.8 setup?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
boostinsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 563
Total Cats: 0
Default

Get a 1.8 open for now, then upgrade to the lsd of your choice when you get more cash.
boostinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 172
Total Cats: 1
Default

Assuming you know that going to the 1.8 will also require the 1.8 driveshaft and half axles.
Mymiataflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 172
Total Cats: 1
Default

At 150.00 shipped , it might not be a bad idea to pick it up as a spare if you can't afford the 1.8 stuff. I would think that with as many people running the 1.6s in specmiata that there might be some kinda market for the 1.6 vsld if you never used it and then got the money for the 1.8 swap.
Mymiataflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
boostinsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 563
Total Cats: 0
Default

Planet Miata sells the complete thing for right at 400 dollars.
boostinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 172
Total Cats: 1
Default

quick look at planet miata shows open diff =200.00, drive shaft= 35.00
axles= 90.00, diff housing=175.00. ~ 500.00 plus shipping versus 150.00.
i remember when i was 18 and 350.00 wasn't chump change but that was 30 years ago so with inflation i guess it's not that much anymore.
Mymiataflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #14
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

350 is still alot but hell go price a 10 bolt or 8.8 inch rear and you will pay that much damn near WO Drivershaft etc.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #15
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger988 View Post
i was under the impression all LSD's were in the 4 - 500 range?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91...spagenameZWDVW
not 1.6 rears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger988 View Post
too weak for someone who wants to get to and stay right at 200-225WHP?
yes. although I'm doing it, who knows how long it will last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger988 View Post
so the VLSD is just as weak as the OPEN diff?
yes. it's the ring-gear that will fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger988 View Post
so if you were 18 and had....limited....money right now..would you do a cheap 1.6 VLSD....cheapER 1.6 open......or borrow as much as you could from as many people as you could to try to do a 1.8 setup?
hell no. what's the point? the VLSD sucks, it's not any stronger than your current open and your obviously looking for better cornering which means more absuse, meaning you need something that won't fail.

Piece together a 1.8 torsen rear or RX7 LSD rear little by little untill you have the time/effort/money to invest in it. otherwise, just treat the rear-end you have with a little respect (ie, no clutch dumps & drifting).

https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=14
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mymiataflys View Post
At 150.00 shipped , it might not be a bad idea to pick it up as a spare if you can't afford the 1.8 stuff. I would think that with as many people running the 1.6s in specmiata that there might be some kinda market for the 1.6 vsld if you never used it and then got the money for the 1.8 swap.

Spec miata guys prefer the clutch type from mazda over the vlsd.

Think about it this way. Is the extra couple of hundred dollars worth not missing work or an exam and spending the money all over again because your diff broke on the freeway?

Last edited by BenR; 02-15-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: stuff
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #17
ruger988
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
Piece together a 1.8 torsen rear or RX7 LSD rear little by little untill you have the time/effort/money to invest in it. otherwise, just treat the rear-end you have with a little respect (ie, no clutch dumps & drifting).

https://www.miataturbo.net/forums/sh...6&postcount=14
there's no "treating it with respect" it's gone...completely!

but i'll probably end up getting the 1.6 VLSD for now and in about 6 months or so taking it out for a 1.8 setup and re-selling it....
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 199
Total Cats: 0
Default

I was looking around for the past few months for a LSD they go for $ 800 to 1000.

Do not even think of a 6" diff. it is just a waste of money.

The "cheap" way is to buy a open 7" (1.8L) for now and they upgrade the internals later to a Torsen of RX-7 clutch type later.

If you are thinking ... OBX .... go kick yourself they are no stronger that the 1.6L open diff
gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #19
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 464
Total Cats: 0
Default

Has anyone looked into cryo-treating the ring and pinion? Or something similar?
PAT! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 531
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger988 View Post
so if you were 18 and had....limited....money right now..would you do a cheap 1.6 VLSD....cheapER 1.6 open......or borrow as much as you could from as many people as you could to try to do a 1.8 setup?
rub your pennies together and pop for the open 1.8
then later when you have the cash just replace the meatball with somthing else
VRTSid is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Odd Steering issue interestedofold Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 09-29-2015 02:42 PM
3rd Time's a Charm...hopefully. zephyrusaurai Meet and Greet 2 09-28-2015 11:59 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.