Adding lightness - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default Adding lightness

To myself, that is. Started dieting on 3-17. Diet consists of not eating out once or twice every day in favor of bringing lunch in to work and preparing dinner at home. Also, I've bought a lot more fruit to eat for my evening snack, so I'll have a peach or pear instead of my customary frozen burrito. Starting weight on 3-17 was 216.0 lbs. Today, 3-28 the scale fluctuated between 210.0 & 210.5 (it rounds to .5lbs).

Going for 200 for the summer.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 596
Total Cats: 3
Default

Doing the same myself, except I also go to the gym 3-4 days a week. I'm 6'-0" and was 211 lbs. 3 weeks ago and weighed 202 lbs. this morning. My end goal is to crack into the 180's.
sbrian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (39)
 
Zabac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: High Point NC
Posts: 4,854
Total Cats: 8
Default

keep up the good work guys...i found myself dieting as well end of last year, dropped a good 15 lbs...then quit dieting. went from 195 to 180, want to get to around 170-175 by the summer
Zabac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

i lost about 7lbs swapping parts on my car....that's about all i do for a diet/exercise.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
I'm Miserable!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 140
Total Cats: 0
Default

Also on the get in shape program. I am 6' around 220 when started and between working out and cycling I am down to 216. Doing a 62 mile bike ride this weekend so maybe that will be lower soon. Basically trying to stay away from sugars and intaking tons of protein...trying NO Shotgun creatine product with my workouts.
Tremiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 596
Total Cats: 3
Default

My biggest problem is I like beer too much. I have switched to light beer however.
sbrian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: ABQ, NM
Posts: 1,850
Total Cats: -8
Default

Cool Ben, keep that **** up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrian2 View Post
My biggest problem is I like beer too much. I have switched to light beer however.


At that point life isn't worth living anymore.



Several years ago I weighed 230, I'm 5'10". I lost about 35lbs in about 3 months by just walking for 4 miles a day. Only takes about an hour.

After getting a blood test recently I found my colesterol was in the 240 range. With heart disease in my family I decided I should start eating better. Now I eat coldcuts and frozen peaches during the week enstead of fast food, and usually steak or pasta with my beer on the weekends. I'm down another 10lbs and saving alot of money.
BenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
To myself, that is. Started dieting on 3-17. Diet consists of not eating out once or twice every day in favor of bringing lunch in to work and preparing dinner at home. Also, I've bought a lot more fruit to eat for my evening snack, so I'll have a peach or pear instead of my customary frozen burrito. Starting weight on 3-17 was 216.0 lbs. Today, 3-28 the scale fluctuated between 210.0 & 210.5 (it rounds to .5lbs).

Going for 200 for the summer.
Sounds more like you are adding money to your wallet by not eating out.

Otherwise.
Not eating is not dieting. You have to eat to lose weight, yea, you read that correctly.

I have been dieting and exercising for the last 3 years with no breaks, I have gone from 220lbs(fat) -> 164lbs(no fat) -> 190lb(all muscle).

Losing weight consists of burning more calories then you consume, but you also cant stop eating because that scares your body into storing fat(energy). The trick is convincing your body that "hey, don't worry, yes we are working out and burning energy, but food will always be plentiful so there is no reason to have reserves and retain this extra weight that makes it harder for us to function".

Eventually the body will consume your fat because it knows you consistently provide it food. So you cant stop eating, or else you will have a much harder time losing weight.

5lb fluctuation is mostly water weight as well. 10 lbs, is progress.
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 589
Total Cats: 0
Default

I'm doing the same thing.. shooting for the same weight but i'm starting at 240 LBS.

I'll racing you to 200 ..

MX5-4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Oh yea, and i'll race you guys to 200 as well, except from the other direction
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saml01 View Post
Sounds more like you are adding money to your wallet by not eating out.

Otherwise.
Not eating is not dieting. You have to eat to lose weight, yea, you read that correctly.

I have been dieting and exercising for the last 3 years with no breaks, I have gone from 220lbs(fat) -> 164lbs(no fat) -> 190lb(all muscle).

Losing weight consists of burning more calories then you consume, but you also cant stop eating because that scares your body into storing fat(energy). The trick is convincing your body that "hey, don't worry, yes we are working out and burning energy, but food will always be plentiful so there is no reason to have reserves and retain this extra weight that makes it harder for us to function".

Eventually the body will consume your fat because it knows you consistently provide it food. So you cant stop eating, or else you will have a much harder time losing weight.

5lb fluctuation is mostly water weight as well. 10 lbs, is progress.
It's like you didn't even ******* read. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You're the dumbest college grad I've ever met. Which says a lot, because I know some dumb people.

I didn't stop eating. I started eating in a more healthy manner. IE, a turkey sandwich and bottle of water from home in lieu of a supersized quarter pounder value meal with a coke for lunch. That *is* dieting, comparatively. I drink at least a gallon of water every day, so it's not water weight. Plus I was able to pull my belt in one more notch.

Now go **** on someone else's parade.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
It's like you didn't even ******* read. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You're the dumbest college grad I've ever met. Which says a lot, because I know some dumb people.

I didn't stop eating. I started eating in a more healthy manner. IE, a turkey sandwich and bottle of water from home in lieu of a supersized quarter pounder value meal with a coke for lunch. That *is* dieting, comparatively. I drink at least a gallon of water every day, so it's not water weight. Plus I was able to pull my belt in one more notch.

Now go **** on someone else's parade.
Wow dude, OK. I didnt **** on your parade. I gave you some information. You completely mis-interpreted everything I posted.

Now go take ******* midol and calm down.

edit: and you never met me.
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Loki047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,145
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
It's like you didn't even ******* read. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You're the dumbest college grad I've ever met. Which says a lot, because I know some dumb people.
Thank god, i read the rest of the thread and saved myself the time of typing that out.
Loki047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

my gf lost 8 lbs in 8 days by having her jaw wired shut. it's amazing how hard it is to get protein and calories through a small tube.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
Ben
Supporting Vendor
Thread Starter
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
my gf lost 8 lbs in 8 days by having her jaw wired shut. it's amazing how hard it is to get protein and calories through a small tube.
Oh damn. What did she do?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,254
Total Cats: 7
Default

I weigh 140 and eat whatever I want
SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #17
Elite Member
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 3,778
Total Cats: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I weigh 140 and eat whatever I want
Same here, but when I try to lose weight nothing happens.
Bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #18
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Oh damn. What did she do?
I had a friend that needed that done. He had to have his jaw moved because of a massive over bight that could not be corrected by any other means. Though his jaw was wired shut for a month. The only thing he could consume was Ensure. I think he lost something like 20lbs. It was scary.
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #19
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saml01 View Post
I had a friend that needed that done. He had to have his jaw moved because of a massive over bight that could not be corrected by any other means. Though his jaw was wired shut for a month. The only thing he could consume was Ensure. I think he lost something like 20lbs. It was scary.
that's pretty much it. orthognathic surgery it's called. 5 weeks of liquid diet. she's actually been getting a lot of good food in there--not just ensure. squash soup (wtih protein powder), avacado soup (with protein powder), cashew nut soup (with protein powder), ice cream with milk to water it down. etc.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:10 PM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Saml01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,730
Total Cats: 2
Default

^ I made fun of the dude that got it done because he was always complaining how going to the gym was hard work. I always told him that getting his jaw wired shut was an omen.

But a girl with that would make me a sad panda. :( and before anyone says anything stupid, its not for those stupidly obvious reasons everyone thinks about.
Saml01 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
Raleigh: Fiberglass headlight scope, 1.6L ECU, AFM, Hardtop latches, more bigmackloud Miata parts for sale/trade 13 09-22-2017 01:34 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM
Another Alternator thread ihiryu General Miata Chat 9 09-28-2015 11:22 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.