Dyno Day Pics! - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
brgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 1,275
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
did you notice the AFR sniffer was about a full point off? My plot shows a flat 13:1 AFR, but my log shows a flat 12 AFR as posted above.

The day was tons of fun, and it was great seeing everyone's setups. Can't wait to do it again!
I had the same phenomena with the tailpipe sniffer. My dyno AFR shows an AFR in the high 13s whereas my LC-1 (which I re-calibrated the day before) was showing mid 12s. I guess a cat really does make a difference.

As for doing it again. Absolutely. Next spring more of you guys out there better come out!
brgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:57 PM   #22
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Braineack are you and that other miata still runnig stock size rubber?
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

did they email the runs to anyone, if so can that someone email mine to me, i think they had toms name on them though, but they should be the only ~150hp ones. I really curious about my a/f ratio because everyone is saying they're a point off because of the cat, well i don't have a cat. what gives?
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #24
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
brgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 1,275
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach929 View Post
did they email the runs to anyone, if so can that someone email mine to me, i think they had toms name on them though, but they should be the only ~150hp ones. I really curious about my a/f ratio because everyone is saying they're a point off because of the cat, well i don't have a cat. what gives?
I think Bruce will be getting them sometime mid-week from the dyno guy. I think he didn't know how to e-mail the runs, but someone from the shop will during the week.

As for the AFR, theoretically b/c the cat uses up 02 in some of the reactions to reduce emissions, a post-cat AFR (such as a tailpipe sniffer) will be not as accurate as a pre-cat AFR depending upon how well your cat works. Since your car has no cat, your AFR should be pretty accurate.
brgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:16 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,482
Total Cats: 248
Default

Does anyone know how a Dynojet works? How does it take into account what gear you are in, or what tire size, or what rear end ratio? All I saw was an RPM pickup on a spark plug wire, and obviously it knows the drum speed. OK cool, it knows engine acceleration and drum acceleration, but your gear selection affects each. Obviously I have more "rear wheel" hp/torque in 1st than in 5th...I'm trying to think of a way the dynojet can calculate rwhp/tq regardless of gear selection with just those 2 inputs.

If he just entered the standard ratios from a 1992 miata (from some dynojet book/database???) then I guess my numbers are off because I have a 3.90 rear instead of the original 4.30's. I think Tom is running a 4.10 torsen too. What about tire size/diameter? I know my 16" toyos are about an inch larger in diameter than my 15" proxies. Thoughts?
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
brgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 1,275
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
Does anyone know how a Dynojet works? How does it take into account what gear you are in, or what tire size, or what rear end ratio? All I saw was an RPM pickup on a spark plug wire, and obviously it knows the drum speed. OK cool, it knows engine acceleration and drum acceleration, but your gear selection affects each. Obviously I have more "rear wheel" hp/torque in 1st than in 5th...I'm trying to think of a way the dynojet can calculate rwhp/tq regardless of gear selection with just those 2 inputs.

If he just entered the standard ratios from a 1992 miata (from some dynojet book/database???) then I guess my numbers are off because I have a 3.90 rear instead of the original 4.30's. I think Tom is running a 4.10 torsen too. What about tire size/diameter? I know my 16" toyos are about an inch larger in diameter than my 15" proxies. Thoughts?
I don't think the gear nor ratios matter too much for a dynojet as it measures power via acceleration at the wheel and uses the rpm to calculate torque. See the link:

http://www.bristoldyno.com/info/whatis.htm

I've dynoed a several times in different gears and the HP difference is 1-2HP at most, especially with the close ratio in the miata. It may be different in a car with longer gearing.

Last edited by brgracer; 09-25-2006 at 09:35 AM.
brgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #27
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,833
Total Cats: 1,786
Default

I've done the same on 2 dynojets. Ran a 3rd and 4th pull and saw no difference in the numbers.

Brad got a new fuel filter and said it's running better, but it stumbles in high rpms.

Can someone tell me why I didn't throw my MBC sitting in my passenger seat on for one run?


Once Brad gets a new pump and we think it's good to try again we'll go to a dyno locally and see what we can do. I'll try to run 10psi with 5:1 rise and see what she can do. Most likely with what I estimate 210/185.

If we get enough people next time, after we do our dyno tuning we should drive 20 mins south to Cecil County Drag Strip and have her a go! But hopefully we can get more members out, definitly a ton of fun!

Last edited by Braineack; 09-25-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,482
Total Cats: 248
Default

Ahh yeah ok, duh.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #29
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
Can someone tell me why I didn't throw my MBC sitting in my passenger seat on for one run?
Certainly isn't your age
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:59 AM   #30
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
Brad got a new fuel filter and said it's running better, but it stumbles in high rpms.
Get a pressure gauge on there and pinch off the return to check the condition of the fuel pump.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 AM   #31
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
brgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 1,275
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
Can someone tell me why I didn't throw my MBC sitting in my passenger seat on for one run?
Because you love complicated electronics so much and make sure you have as much of them in your setup as possible?


Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
If we get enough people next time, after we do our dyno tuning we should drive 20 mins south to Cecil County Drag Strip and have her a go! But hopefully we can get more members out, definitly a ton of fun!
Sounds like fun. Plus, we can fill up on racegas at the Sunoco down the street on the way.
brgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #32
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,833
Total Cats: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
Get a pressure gauge on there and pinch off the return to check the condition of the fuel pump.
I have one, actually I had it there. Tell me why we didn't do it there?!
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #33
AFM Crusader
iTrader: (18)
 
olderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wayne, NJ
Posts: 4,438
Total Cats: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by braineack View Post
I have one, actually I had it there. Tell me why we didn't do it there?!
Probably because we all suspected the filter. With a clean filter, we can now check the pump.
olderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (21)
 
paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Point Pleasant, NJ
Posts: 2,957
Total Cats: 2
Default

damn i am jealous. guess i'll be putting off that big screen tv and throwing the money into the car for a change. nice numbers guys
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #35
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
brgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 1,275
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
damn i am jealous. guess i'll be putting off that big screen tv and throwing the money into the car for a change. nice numbers guys
#1 As if you don't throw money into the car(s)...

#2 The grass is always greener. Ever since I drove your original machine, I've been thinking about gutting my current miata to get it as light...
brgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #36
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
nicacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SLC UT
Posts: 1,133
Total Cats: 0
Default

I wish I lived closer to you guys
nicacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:56 PM   #37
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,482
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgracer View Post
#2 The grass is always greener. Ever since I drove your original machine, I've been thinking about gutting my current miata to get it as light...
Yes! Machine #1 was surprisingly quick N/A. Machine #2 will be scary with the GT28. It should be done by the next dyno day. haha.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #38
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,833
Total Cats: 1,786
Default

Plots:

BrgRacer


TurboTim


OlderGuy


Braineack


Mach929


Newbsauce (Just couldn't get fuel :( )



Interesting Comparison: T3 S60 @ 9psi vs. GReddy @ 6psi
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #39
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,833
Total Cats: 1,786
Default

I noticed we all lose torque after 5.5k, would some sort of cam or cam gears cure this?
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,450
Total Cats: -1
Default

Well, you lose torque after 5.5k, but so does an S2000, until the second cam comes on: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno_...99TvsS2000.pdf

Difference is, the S2000's valvetrain and engine are designed and built to make power at 8000+ RPM, while the Miata's is not.

I'd guess you'd have to a do quite a bit more work to take any real advantage of power at higher RPM. Or you could advance your intake cam timing one tooth...
bripab007 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why dynos should plot Torque divided by MAP JasonC SBB ECUs and Tuning 11 10-27-2015 05:56 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 01:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 AM.