fabricators chime in - Page 3 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #41
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach929 View Post
yeah no problem, but it will only be as straight as much skill you have. i don't have much so that's why i'm looking at a band saw
Are we thinking of the same thing? I thought you were talking about something like this.



I'm considering either that or a chop saw. Haven't decided yet.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #42
Elite Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,921
Total Cats: 0
Default

If you buy a horizontal band saw (the grizzly link) make sure it isn't a total piece of ****. I bought one, only to have it throw the blade every 30sec of cutting. I took mine back and bought a 14" makita chop saw. I like the size and versitility of my chop saw. That portable bandsaw looks like a pain in the *** to try and use and is probably slower than Hustler's mom.

For aluminum I'd like to try cutting it on my compound miter saw or table saw. I've used a jigsaw and sawzall with OK results already.
jayc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #43
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Mach929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: lansdale PA
Posts: 2,500
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
Are we thinking of the same thing? I thought you were talking about something like this.



I'm considering either that or a chop saw. Haven't decided yet.
oops, sorry i was drunk. but yes that will cut 3" pipe, most will cut something like 4"x6" or a little more.
Mach929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #44
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

I've been giving that horizontal bandsaw some serious thought lately. There is a huge community of people that have bought them and modified them. There are plans to build a better stand and everyone says that with new blades it cuts through metal like butter.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #45
Elite Member
iTrader: (46)
 
Stein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4,812
Total Cats: 138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_curr View Post
I've been giving that horizontal bandsaw some serious thought lately. There is a huge community of people that have bought them and modified them. There are plans to build a better stand and everyone says that with new blades it cuts through metal like butter.
If you get a bi-metal blade from Starrett, it will last you a year of reasonable use. I actually have had good luck with the Grizzly bi-metal blades, too. Just picked up a new one this week when I was in the showroom.

Mine is now 6 years old and going strong. I use it all the time. I use a small machinist's square to set the fence to 90* after cutting an angle. Good blades will cut straight verically. If one doesn't cut straight through, it's most likely the blade. I've had to use the standard blades before in a pinch and they dont do well.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #46
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bellingham, Wa
Posts: 2,732
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
If you get a bi-metal blade from Starrett, it will last you a year of reasonable use. I actually have had good luck with the Grizzly bi-metal blades, too. Just picked up a new one this week when I was in the showroom.

Mine is now 6 years old and going strong. I use it all the time. I use a small machinist's square to set the fence to 90* after cutting an angle. Good blades will cut straight verically. If one doesn't cut straight through, it's most likely the blade. I've had to use the standard blades before in a pinch and they dont do well.
Thats really good to know. I think i've read enough about it to just go ahead and buy it instead of a chop saw.
wayne_curr is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping my '95 for track asmasm Build Threads 82 05-26-2016 05:37 PM
elesjuan's mediocre 95 Miata adventure (google fiber edition) elesjuan Build Threads 8 02-16-2016 09:36 PM
Foreign powered NB for NASA ST3 and/or E0 d k Race Prep 44 09-15-2015 11:59 AM
Prepping for the cars first track day MechE Race Prep 70 09-12-2015 04:20 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:04 PM.