ITT: You educate me on beds, the ones you sleep on - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #81
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 889
Total Cats: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Why are we taking credit advice form a chef?
so good. I don't think dave would approve of us spending thousands of dollars on our *** cars either. I don't want to count but i'm pretty sure i've passed the 10k mark in parts alone in the last 6 years.

Good luck on the bed. it was a good read and some good info in here. I have a Nova Foam dealy from Costco. I like it and so far my girlfriends have too. I've had mine for about 7 years. I rotate and flip it regularly. It still feels similar to the first day i bought it i think... I don't have any trouble sleeping and i'm always comfortable.
krissetsfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #82
Elite Member
iTrader: (41)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seabrook, TX
Posts: 2,409
Total Cats: 19
Default

Luke,
What have been your impressions in the past 6 months of the mattress?
rharris19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #83
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,049
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris19 View Post
Luke,
What have been your impressions in the past 6 months of the mattress?
Yea, I should have updated this thread a long time ago.

A quick re-cap of the last six months.

We got the Healthy Foundations Memory Foam mattress. We liked it.

For about two days.

And then we didn't really like it. And then we disliked it. And then we hated it.

After giving it a solid 6 week trial we absolutely loathed it and decided maybe memory foams weren't for us.

We "returned" the mattress, got all of our money back without any big headaches, got to keep my $50 in subaru bucks (Dave's still shaking his head) and we bought some ~$1400 coil spring pillow-top mattress from Sears.com.

I don't remember exactly what brand/model mattress we got from Sears, but we got it on a decent sale and we like it. It's not amazing, but it's pretty good. Unfortunately, it will probably be worn out in 5-7 years, and I'll be going through this all over again.


Even though the HF memory foam mattress wasn't for us, I have no regrets buying it. The return policy is exactly what they describe it as, no questions asked, no pain, just all my money back. Basically we got to try the mattress for free.

I'll try to look up the receipt from Sears to let you guys know what kind we ended up with.
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #84
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:49 AM   #85
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,049
Total Cats: 5
Default

Yes, I am disappoint.

We never got a chance to try the Savvy Rest mattresses. The only dealer near us is over an hour drives away. Maybe you and your wife will be different than us, but after having a kid, finding a whole Saturday to spend trying out mattresses wasn't really possible. Anyway, I politik'd pretty hard to make a trip to the dealer to try out the Savvy Rest but it didn't really work. Then we bough the HF mattress, and then we hated it severely.

After that it was all my wife's doing, trying to find a replacement mattress that would make her pregnant a$$ comfortable. We liked some of the mattresses we laid on at Sears, and she found a decent sale on Sears.com and that was that.

I didn't bother arguing with a pregnant lady...



Thank you for your input, unfortunately I was not able to take advantage of it. I suppose five years from now I'll have another opportunity...
Efini~FC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #86
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

start prepping the wife now. sounds like she doesn't understand that spending a few hours to buy something you use for 3000 hours a year is worthwhile.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #87
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
bahurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,124
Total Cats: 145
Default

As far as beds go, the best investment I ever made was for a Sleep Number setup; Sleep Number Beds and Mattress by Sleep Number

Had this one for about 6 years so far.

Last edited by bahurd; 12-28-2016 at 10:28 AM.
bahurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #88
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
GeneSplicer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,006
Total Cats: 147
Default

Good informative thread... also in market for buying king bed and mattress... I REALLY liked the Beautyrest TruEnergy matress when testing them out - $1800 - really hope worth every penny and not be dissappointed in a couple months.
GeneSplicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #89
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
As far as beds go, the best investment I ever made was for a Sleep Number setup; Sleep Number Beds and Mattress by Sleep Number

Had this one for about 6 years.
those are great if you never want to spoon your boy toy.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #90
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Leafy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 9,091
Total Cats: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
those are great if you never want to spoon your boy toy.
As long as you dont have the mattresses deflated to nothing you dont fall into the crevasse.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #91
Elite Member
iTrader: (7)
 
bahurd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,124
Total Cats: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post

those are great if you never want to spoon your boy toy.
Hey, King size.... Go big or go home!
bahurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #92
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Louisville ky
Posts: 479
Total Cats: -110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini~FC3S View Post
Yea, I should have updated this thread a long time ago.

A quick re-cap of the last six months.

We got the Healthy Foundations Memory Foam mattress. We liked it.

For about two days.

And then we didn't really like it. And then we disliked it. And then we hated it.

After giving it a solid 6 week trial we absolutely loathed it and decided maybe memory foams weren't for us.

We "returned" the mattress, got all of our money back without any big headaches, got to keep my $50 in subaru bucks (Dave's still shaking his head) and we bought some ~$1400 coil spring pillow-top mattress from Sears.com.

I don't remember exactly what brand/model mattress we got from Sears, but we got it on a decent sale and we like it. It's not amazing, but it's pretty good. Unfortunately, it will probably be worn out in 5-7 years, and I'll be going through this all over again.


Even though the HF memory foam mattress wasn't for us, I have no regrets buying it. The return policy is exactly what they describe it as, no questions asked, no pain, just all my money back. Basically we got to try the mattress for free.

I'll try to look up the receipt from Sears to let you guys know what kind we ended up with.
I know this is super old, but I wanted to update this as I am looking to buy a new bed based on wanting a bigger bed solely. My healthy foundations mattress is still awesome and my wife likes it too. Had it almost 10 years now. So I reached out to healthy foundations and found out that the mattress you bought is actually different than the one I bought. I wish I could find a King size Garmetech mattress now...


Hi Bret,

Your previous mattress was a full size bought in August 2007. As I explained on the chat, we have had a different manufacturer make our mattress since 2009.

The mattress we now sell is different than the one you bought in 2007. David stopped selling your mattress, made by Garme, when Tempur-Pedic started suing other manufacturers for patent infringement. When they dropped the suits after about 6 months, he did a test to find a new mattress. He didn't go back to the Garme since, while people really liked the mattress, he had kept having issues with supply.

To our knowledge, we have had a few people who had originally bought the Garme mattress try out our new mattress. Some that we have heard from have not cared for the feel of the new mattress.

The difference is more one of feel than in the specs of the mattress. And while we have asked these folks to try to give details on this, feel is difficult to describe. In general, the few that have responded tell have said the new one feels not as firm and supportive.

We can't say either is better than the other. We have gotten about the same types of good reviews for both, about the same low return rate, etc.

But from the folks that have tried both that we know of, if they liked the old one, some just haven't cared for the new one -- and they have returned it. I don't know that any of these folks have left reviews, but all of the reviews for our current mattress are on the site. All the info on the site and all of the reviews are for the mattress we currently offer. Please take a look at these to decide if the new mattress may work for you or not.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Have a great day!

Angela
atli126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 AM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 797
Total Cats: 175
Default

Wife and I are entering year 5 on a Costco tempurpedic knockoff. King size, memory foam with ~3" of "cooling gel" built into the top.

It was $7-800 back when and I have been absolutely in love with it. I look forward to it after traveling, camping, exercising, overeating, you name it.

Before this I had a semi fancy Serta perfect sleeper Queen that I bought myself right out of high school. It was my first credit building, >$1k financed transaction. We slept on it primarily for a few years until we "needed" a king, then tossed into the guest room. It was not missed. It slumped in the middle and had body impressions by year 2.
doward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #94
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Louisville ky
Posts: 479
Total Cats: -110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doward View Post
Wife and I are entering year 5 on a Costco tempurpedic knockoff. King size, memory foam with ~3" of "cooling gel" built into the top.

It was $7-800 back when and I have been absolutely in love with it. I look forward to it after traveling, camping, exercising, overeating, you name it.

Before this I had a semi fancy Serta perfect sleeper Queen that I bought myself right out of high school. It was my first credit building, >$1k financed transaction. We slept on it primarily for a few years until we "needed" a king, then tossed into the guest room. It was not missed. It slumped in the middle and had body impressions by year 2.

http://www.costco.com/Novaform-14%22-Serafina-Pearl-Gel-Cal-King-Memory-Foam-Mattress.product.100153893.html

It's probably this serefina novaform from Costco. It's highly recommended and tested and rated by consumer reports too! As a paying subscriber I highly recommend consumer reports to everybody!

Pretty sure this will be my next bed also!

Thanks for the reply
atli126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:17 AM   #95
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Leesa, platform bed, done. Best mattress I've ever slept on.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #96
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Louisville ky
Posts: 479
Total Cats: -110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Leesa, platform bed, done. Best mattress I've ever slept on.
Nice Leesa is highly recommended by consumer reports also! Glad to hear you like it. How long have you had it?
atli126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #97
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,362
Total Cats: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atli126 View Post
Nice Leesa is highly recommended by consumer reports also! Glad to hear you like it. How long have you had it?
~4 months now.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:54 AM   #98
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 8,782
Total Cats: 119
Default

I sleep on

My Couch
The Floor
My van

in order of frequency
Faeflora is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mystery Engine Trouble. Halp, mt.net! vehicular General Miata Chat 12 09-14-2015 04:17 PM
BMW TPS / P&P TPS for Megasquirt albumleaf WTB 0 09-10-2015 10:28 AM
Mspnp9495 Fan Control Problem - ANOTHER naarleven MSPNP 11 01-02-2009 11:32 AM
Need a place to stay in Atlanta Monday night. samnavy Insert BS here 9 12-01-2008 08:40 AM
made me cry drftem Insert BS here 0 07-22-2006 07:48 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 PM.