Just swapped phone plans... - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #21
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,187
Total Cats: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erat View Post
I just shitcanned Sprint. We'll see how well Google Fi works out.
I want to as well. The coverage and data speeds suck and I'm not happy with the updates being pushed to my Galaxy S6 Edge+. Drops service, apps are slow don't connect, needs to be restarted multiple times per day.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,691
Total Cats: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erat View Post
I just shitcanned Sprint. We'll see how well Google Fi works out.
Interested on pricing differences if any... I have unlimited text/mins and 3GB data with t-mobile... But for what I pay ($90) or so a month I definitely want to cut unneeded costs down.

Edit*

Sucks I can't reuse my note3 on Fi

Quote:
When will Project Fi support other smartphones?

The Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6 are the first smartphones that support Project Fi's network of networks. We currently only support these devices.
Girz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,035
Total Cats: 247
Default

Yeah, i had to buy a phone. I went with the 5x since it seems like almost the same phone just $300 cheaper.

I was paying $40/mo for unlimited talk/text and 1gb data. Sprint wanted to charge me $10/mo for 24 months for a new phone. Or if i wanted a nice smart phone it was like $33/mo for 24 months. I wasn't about to dish out $70.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #24
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,439
Total Cats: 471
Default

So you left Sprint in order to go to the Sprint network managed by Google?

Yes, I realize they use T-mo as well, but still.

I just moved my girlfriend over to Boost. Bought her a mint condition Galaxy S6 Edge off eBay for $330, and her bill is $35/mo with 2GB of LTE. Works great for her so far. She came from Sprint, so it has the same coverage and speed she had before.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,035
Total Cats: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
So you left Sprint in order to go to the Sprint network managed by Google?

Yes, I realize they use T-mo as well, but still.

I just moved my girlfriend over to Boost. Bought her a mint condition Galaxy S6 Edge off eBay for $330, and her bill is $35/mo with 2GB of LTE. Works great for her so far. She came from Sprint, so it has the same coverage and speed she had before.
um no. I got a better phone for cheaper. Cheaper plan. Cash back for data I don't use. No bullshit fees. More coverage. The ability to use wifi seamlessly. Ect.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:22 PM   #26
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,439
Total Cats: 471
Default

Just giving you a hard time, since Project Fi does use Sprint for cell service. But they also use Tmo. It's a good setup for sure.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,035
Total Cats: 247
Default

My Sprint coverage was fine. When i got close to Canada i would roam sometimes, but was really a non issue. Having the ability to seamlessly switch to my home WIFI will drastically improve things.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 656
Total Cats: 80
Default

I've been on Project Fi for a month now. No complaints, service is great.

FYI: It actually uses three networks now. Tmobile, Sprint, and US Cellular. Plus any WiFi it can grab.
Arca_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #29
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: STL
Posts: 528
Total Cats: 24
Default

4 months in with Fi, still working great. Around town I am on TMo 99% of the time, Sprint 100% of the time soon as I get out of town. I have yet to use US Cell.

Only complaint is they don't tunnel WiFi traffic for any networks which you manually join. I'd like it to VPN my traffic to "open" networks that require authentication of some sort, like at work or hotels. A simple toggle option, that defaults to off, in each of the networks settings would be perfect. I've used 0.666 GB this month with 2 days left and may actually break the $30 mark
midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #30
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
calteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 289
Total Cats: 16
Default

Poverty Fi crew, checking in:

Just swapped phone plans...-mpzwbiy.jpg


April statement jumped up a bit when my router **** the bed at the end of the month.
calteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,035
Total Cats: 247
Default

Phone just showed up, 2 days is awesome. We'll see how long it takes my number to transfer, probably a long time.

This phone also makes my tube amp go crazy, producing a bunch of weird noises.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:52 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 656
Total Cats: 80
Default

My number transferred from Verizon in less than 10 minutes after my phone was on the network. When I ordered the phone I pre filled in the info in order for Google to take it from them.
Arca_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 2,846
Total Cats: 228
Default

I have a three month old Droid Turbo 2, so swapping phones when I return to the States is not going to happen, so Fi is out for me. The phones' frequencies leave me with Verizon prepaid at $45/3gb or StraightTalk $45/unlimited* as my best options that I've found so far. Anybody have experience with Straight Talk?
Mobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,035
Total Cats: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arca_ex View Post
My number transferred from Verizon in less than 10 minutes after my phone was on the network. When I ordered the phone I pre filled in the info in order for Google to take it from them.
Woke up to my new number. Super impressed. From signing up to a fully functioning phone in 3 days and not having to speak to a single human is awesome.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #35
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,035
Total Cats: 247
Default

Some initial thoughts after my first 2 weeks.

Fi seems pretty dang good, according to an app I got I utilize the T-Mobile network 100% of the time when I'm not on WIFI. Speeds and all that seem to be fine, I've only used 0.13gb of data and I don't plan on using much more than that every 2 weeks.

The phone(5x) on the other hand could be better. The finger print thing is weird, now google has my finger print *tinfoil hat*. The display seems to do it's own thing, sometimes I can't see it very well even in manual mode. The ringer sucks, I can't hear it whatsoever (phone in pocket). The vibration is absolutely atrocious. Even if it's in my hand I can hardly feel it vibrate, let alone in my pocket or sitting on a desk. Every single phone call I've gotten the past 2 weeks I have missed because I can't hear or feel the phone ringing. Unless I'm in an ongoing text conversation, I miss those as well. It's also big, much bigger than it needs to be, who needs a phone this big? The camera is good. The interface is really good, marshmallow is awesome. When I do make phone calls the voice clarity is MUCH better on both ends. The little icons at the top status bar are great, but I have a hard time figuring out what some of them are.

Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #36
Boost Czar
iTrader: (60)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 71,520
Total Cats: 1,565
Default

what was your previous phone?

I was curious about the 6p coming from a few iterations of Galaxies. currently on the SG5.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #37
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,035
Total Cats: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
what was your previous phone?

I was curious about the 6p coming from a few iterations of Galaxies. currently on the SG5.
Kyocera E4277 DuraXT Military Standard Flip Phone



Loud and rugged.

Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #38
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 292
Total Cats: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
what was your previous phone?

I was curious about the 6p coming from a few iterations of Galaxies. currently on the SG5.
I love my 6P. I was coming from a Nexus 4 so I was concerned about the size, but it is thin enough that pocket carry is easy. I've noticed the auto-brightness can be a little slow to respond, but outside of that no complaints.
dleavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:43 PM   #39
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,187
Total Cats: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erat View Post
Some initial thoughts after my first 2 weeks.

Fi seems pretty dang good, according to an app I got I utilize the T-Mobile network 100% of the time when I'm not on WIFI. Speeds and all that seem to be fine, I've only used 0.13gb of data and I don't plan on using much more than that every 2 weeks.

The phone(5x) on the other hand could be better. The finger print thing is weird, now google has my finger print *tinfoil hat*. The display seems to do it's own thing, sometimes I can't see it very well even in manual mode. The ringer sucks, I can't hear it whatsoever (phone in pocket). The vibration is absolutely atrocious. Even if it's in my hand I can hardly feel it vibrate, let alone in my pocket or sitting on a desk. Every single phone call I've gotten the past 2 weeks I have missed because I can't hear or feel the phone ringing. Unless I'm in an ongoing text conversation, I miss those as well. It's also big, much bigger than it needs to be, who needs a phone this big? The camera is good. The interface is really good, marshmallow is awesome. When I do make phone calls the voice clarity is MUCH better on both ends. The little icons at the top status bar are great, but I have a hard time figuring out what some of them are.
Interesting. My 5x should be here tomorrow. I dropped my S6 Edge Plus over the weekend and it's murdered.
z31maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,035
Total Cats: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z31maniac View Post
Interesting. My 5x should be here tomorrow. I dropped my S6 Edge Plus over the weekend and it's murdered.
Let me know how loud it is and how well it vibrates.
As erotic as this sounds, I can't feel mine vibrate in my pants.

After doing some googling, I seem to be the only one having this issue. I hope my phone isn't defective.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MP45 JRSC kit is about to make me go bald. PLSHALP Cold Drink Supercharger Discussion 14 04-21-2016 06:42 AM
VVT Swap w/ MS3-Pro & Frank's PCB: no start, please review settings Eunos91 MEGAsquirt 13 04-01-2016 02:50 PM
Track Dog Racing Swap Meet black roadster Track Dog Racing 1 03-29-2016 03:20 PM
Mistakenly bought a MS DIY kit right before they redid the website. In over my head. kable26 MEGAsquirt 5 03-26-2016 10:17 PM
Respond time irodd MS Labs - Miata Accessories 2 03-26-2016 02:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 AM.