MT.net Motorcycle Thread - Page 7 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #121
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ft Worth, TX
Posts: 17
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Salesman, not mechanic. There's a good chance he was just pushing to sell the new 250s. I guess I shouldn't of said the 500 was slower, just not worth the extra $$ in his mind, to each his own though.
I don't know if it still holds true these days, but when I bought my first bike in '99 the guy was pushing me towards a Ninja 250 despite the fact that I went in there with cash ready-to-go on an Intruder 800 (double+ the MSRP of a 250 at the time). Met someone a few months later that was a salesman at the same dealer; he said the markup on the Ninja 250 is ridiculous and actually gets the salesman a larger commission check than ~75% of the bikes on the floor that are 5x more expensive.
Deviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #122
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: albany, ga
Posts: 1,869
Total Cats: 3
Default

hmm
Anyone here know how much power the 250 ninja engine can handle stock?

I'm interested in getting a 250 ninja myself, not interested in any bike bigger than that.
Techsalvager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #123
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsalvager View Post
hmm
Anyone here know how much power the 250 ninja engine can handle stock?

I'm interested in getting a 250 ninja myself, not interested in any bike bigger than that.
Slower than your miata
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #124
Elite Member
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 2,760
Total Cats: 123
Default

Here's my 04 CBR600:

pdexta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #125
I take big bites
iTrader: (1)
 
turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 6,882
Total Cats: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsalvager View Post
hmm
Anyone here know how much power the 250 ninja engine can handle stock?

I'm interested in getting a 250 ninja myself, not interested in any bike bigger than that.
sorry man, but your post doesn't make any sense. First, what do you mean "how much can the engine handle stock?" if it's stock, then it can handle stock power... If you modify it to make more power, then it's no longer stock.

second, if you want a ninja 250 and don't want anything bigger, why are you looking for more power? The ninja 250 is an archaic design. It's excellent for those who want a cheap beginner bike. If you want more power, pick up a 600. In all reality, the 600cc sportbikes weigh about the same as the 250 ninja.
turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #126
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,493
Default

The 250's are about as fast as mopeds. But aside from being weak they're great bikes. if you want fast, don't get 250. If you want 250, forget fast.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #127
Elite Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southlake,Texas
Posts: 3,251
Total Cats: 18
Default

So I got new gears, supposed to go up 2 in the back, but they sent me a +7 on the rear.

Highway sucks, but 4th gear power wheelies are badass lol.
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #128
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,493
Default

holy **** lol.

that bike has more than enough torque, why did you want to re-gear it?

If anything I'd get something like -2 for it so you can enjoy the torque through longer gears.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #129
I'm Miserable!
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: albany, ga
Posts: 1,869
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
sorry man, but your post doesn't make any sense. First, what do you mean "how much can the engine handle stock?" if it's stock, then it can handle stock power... If you modify it to make more power, then it's no longer stock.

second, if you want a ninja 250 and don't want anything bigger, why are you looking for more power? The ninja 250 is an archaic design. It's excellent for those who want a cheap beginner bike. If you want more power, pick up a 600. In all reality, the 600cc sportbikes weigh about the same as the 250 ninja.
I haven't liked much of the 600cc bikes in terms or sitting on various ones, the newer 250 ninja I do like. I ride a 49cc yamaha vino scooter, lot of bigger bikes are faster than that.

I meant stock internals handle
Techsalvager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #130
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 108
Total Cats: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsalvager View Post
I haven't liked much of the 600cc bikes in terms or sitting on various ones, the newer 250 ninja I do like. I ride a 49cc yamaha vino scooter, lot of bigger bikes are faster than that.

I meant stock internals handle
I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but for a while I was riding my friends 98 Ninja 250. The thing was a real dog...and there could have been something wrong with this particular bike, but it felt unstable as **** at almost any speed. I even lost it quite easily around a turn when I hit a minuscule patch of sand at 5mph or so....got a nice scar from it, too.

I'd say don't bother with something that small, and even if you could extract a few extra ponies you will not be happy with how unresponsive it will be vs amount of cash invested.

Not to be funny, but if you like the sitting position of a scooter, why don't you look at a cruiser? The Honda Magna 750 is a great choice and has very respectable power, the Vulcan is also a good choice.
JustinOMGWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #131
Junior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 108
Total Cats: 9
Default

My bikes from this summer:

92 Kawa Vulcan VN1500 - SOLD


03 Honda VTX 1800R - Winterized


46 Triumph 500cc Speed-Twin - Just inherited from great uncle...needs a little work
JustinOMGWTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:38 AM   #132
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,493
Default

18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #133
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOMGWTF View Post
I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but for a while I was riding my friends 98 Ninja 250. The thing was a real dog...and there could have been something wrong with this particular bike, but it felt unstable as **** at almost any speed. I even lost it quite easily around a turn when I hit a minuscule patch of sand at 5mph or so....got a nice scar from it, too.

I'd say don't bother with something that small, and even if you could extract a few extra ponies you will not be happy with how unresponsive it will be vs amount of cash invested.

Not to be funny, but if you like the sitting position of a scooter, why don't you look at a cruiser? The Honda Magna 750 is a great choice and has very respectable power, the Vulcan is also a good choice.
Musta been messed up or something cause they're not as unstable as that.

They're decent in terms of handling and are pretty comfy.

But to make them fast? Probably going to be hard and unrewarding.
And I don't think anyone here will know how much the internals handle cause I don't think anyone would mod a 250 to be fast. A 500 is just as cheap, just as comfy, and much much faster. only down side is they were d/c in 07.
When I had my 06 riding my friends 09 250r and my 500r back to back was like a 1.5L 4 banger vs a v8. Just so much more torque on the 500
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #134
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,239
Total Cats: 4
Default

SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #135
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,493
Default

Wow, I stand corrected: people DO modify them lol

But that is still seriously weak IMO: 60whp with a turbo setup? pass
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #136
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
SamS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,239
Total Cats: 4
Default

100% hp increase on stock internals, that's about the same rule most people follow here. It should be comparable if not faster than an SV650 at that point.
SamS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #137
Murderator
Thread Starter
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35,756
Total Cats: 2,493
Default

No you're right, that's a big increase from what they make stock, but I mean its TURBOCHARGED. That is a whole lot of modification to reach almost 60whp. Not sure if its worth it.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #138
Elite Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Taos, New mexico
Posts: 5,680
Total Cats: 232
Default

Turbo Ninja 250 is neat, but not worth it at all imho.
Fireindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #139
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

1984 vf500c best lil bike ever made
Stockish put down 56 whp with mods exhaust etc im probly 75-80 whp atm. All in a 420 lbs wet package i just wish it had more suspension on it though my big ole *** is getting abit sore from it.
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 AM   #140
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,071
Total Cats: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamx-5 View Post
Stockish put down 56 whp with mods exhaust etc im probly 75-80 whp atm. All in a 420 lbs wet package i just wish it had more suspension on it though my big ole *** is getting abit sore from it.
Orly? Even 1000cc modern sports bikes only get 10ish HP from a $1000 exhaust system. You think you're getting 20hp with your mods? I'm not going to say you're wrong, but I'd like to see the dyno chart first. I'm going to say you're at or below 60hp.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OTS Bilstein to motorsports ASN conversion stoves Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 5 04-21-2016 03:00 PM
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 12:25 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 12:15 PM
Leaky Wilwoods mx592 Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain 1 10-01-2015 12:45 AM


Tags
buell > all, dikes on bikes, respect the mod powers, the ubiquitous ex500, widows and orphans

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.