One more reason to stay here - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #21
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

^ Theft is mt.net taking a sponsor away from m.net,not blocking useless **** on the site.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Elesjuan, you trying to get in on the ban action too?
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

:bowr ofl:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J Fischman
As far as I'm concerned, blocking advertising is theft of service. It costs us money for you to view the site. Contrary to the opinion of some, the Internet is not the same as broadcast TV or Radio. With TV or Radio, there is no incremental cost for 1 additional viewer. But with the Internet, there is. Each additional reader uses CPU cycles, bandwidth, disk space for logs, etc. We've already taken a major hit over the past few years due to adblockers that have caused our delivered banner impressions to drop, despite a rise in readership.

So - I'll say again - adblockers are theft of service. Please either support the site, or put up with the ads.

Holy hell, I'm about to die!! Gary really is a complete ******* TOOLBAG!!!


The fagbox already deleted my post... IB hes writing a PM right meow..
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
:bowr ofl:





Holy hell, I'm about to die!! Gary really is a complete ******* TOOLBAG!!!
Your post is gone already...jeez
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #25
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
How is that stealing?

Gary & his band of monkies are seriously fucked in the head.
You retarded? How is it not stealing?

You do understand how sites like this site and M.net make money, right? They deliver ads. Just like network television makes their money on ad revenue, just like every sports team and every racing team/series in the world. Advertising is one of the largest industries in the world.

I don't really care if you block ads, although Gary disagrees vehemently. The way I see it is that if you are installing adblockers, you wouldn't be clicking ads anwyay. Telling other people how to get around it, though, is crossing the line. How would you feel if you dropped $1k+ on bandwidth every month for a forum, and then put up ads to recoup some of the costs, only to have your members laugh about blocking the ads that support the site?

Stop being dicks about it. Christ, half of us pay $30/year or more for this site. Cough up the $20 over there, or shut the **** up.
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Trent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,625
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
Just like network television makes their money on ad revenue
oh man, NBC would love to talk to my DVR then, because I don't put up with ads there either.
Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #27
Senior Member
iTrader: (14)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 734
Total Cats: 1
Default

Adblock + Firefox + Filterset.g

is vastly superior to just

Adblock + Firefox
deliverator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersaiyan93 View Post
oh man, NBC would love to talk to my DVR then, because I don't put up with ads there either.
National Barack Channel would have a **** fit if they knew that. They only tolerate DVR because they think people get them so they can watch double commercials.
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #29
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
You retarded? How is it not stealing?

You do understand how sites like this site and M.net make money, right? They deliver ads. Just like network television makes their money on ad revenue, just like every sports team and every racing team/series in the world. Advertising is one of the largest industries in the world.

I don't really care if you block ads, although Gary disagrees vehemently. The way I see it is that if you are installing adblockers, you wouldn't be clicking ads anwyay. Telling other people how to get around it, though, is crossing the line. How would you feel if you dropped $1k+ on bandwidth every month for a forum, and then put up ads to recoup some of the costs, only to have your members laugh about blocking the ads that support the site?

Stop being dicks about it. Christ, half of us pay $30/year or more for this site. Cough up the $20 over there, or shut the **** up.
Whatever,do your modding over there,not here.

It's not really stealing,it's more like freedom of choice.People choose to view the adds or not.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:17 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savington View Post
You retarded? How is it not stealing?

You do understand how sites like this site and M.net make money, right? They deliver ads. Just like network television makes their money on ad revenue, just like every sports team and every racing team/series in the world. Advertising is one of the largest industries in the world.

I don't really care if you block ads, although Gary disagrees vehemently. The way I see it is that if you are installing adblockers, you wouldn't be clicking ads anwyay. Telling other people how to get around it, though, is crossing the line. How would you feel if you dropped $1k+ on bandwidth every month for a forum, and then put up ads to recoup some of the costs, only to have your members laugh about blocking the ads that support the site?

Stop being dicks about it. Christ, half of us pay $30/year or more for this site. Cough up the $20 over there, or shut the **** up.

Whether you care or not, I respect you here.. But take that bullshit back to M.net. I would bet you that Gary makes PROFIT from m.net off the 20+ forum sponsors and subscriptions from members, muchless paying out for bandwidth and servers.

Do you have a DVR? Do you ever find yourself fastforwarding through commercials? I do. Am I stealing my television now? Oh wait, I don't pay for cable anyway. Oops. Yeah, I spend 3$ a month to support this site because I know my money is going to something good, not to fatten up that toolbox's wallet.
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #31
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Whether you care or not, I respect you here.. But take that bullshit back to M.net. I would bet you that Gary makes PROFIT from m.net off the 20+ forum sponsors and subscriptions from members, muchless paying out for bandwidth and servers.

Do you have a DVR? Do you ever find yourself fastforwarding through commercials? I do. Am I stealing my television now? Oh wait, I don't pay for cable anyway. Oops. Yeah, I spend 3$ a month to support this site because I know my money is going to something good, not to fatten up that toolbox's wallet.
Very well said,I could not agree with you more.

Gary already makes more than enough money to support that site,he's just plain greedy and wants more money.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #32
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Rules are only as good as they are enforcable. Fischman can't currently enforce the non-use of adblockers so therefore he can't enforce the rule.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #33
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
Rules are only as good as they are enforcable. Fischman can't currently enforce the non-use of adblockers so therefore he can't enforce the rule.
.....but according to some people it's stealing!!!!!!!!!!!
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,967
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
.....but according to some people it's stealing!!!!!!!!!!!
We're all no good dirty thieves, I just new Miata's were turning into the new Civic.
KPLAFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #35
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,038
Total Cats: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
.....but according to some people it's stealing!!!!!!!!!!!
that site steals my soul. can we call it even?
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #36
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
that site steals my soul. can we call it even?
I don't know.....you will have to talk to Gary about that one.

Then again,he would acuse you of being a thief anyways,so why bother.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #37
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (31)
 
Savington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 14,370
Total Cats: 1,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elesjuan View Post
Whether you care or not, I respect you here.. But take that bullshit back to M.net. I would bet you that Gary makes PROFIT from m.net off the 20+ forum sponsors and subscriptions from members, muchless paying out for bandwidth and servers.
Yeah, I'd bet he does make a profit. Most good businesses do. What confuses me is when he tries to increase the profits of his business, suddenly he's a greedy ****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
Gary already makes more than enough money to support that site,he's just plain greedy and wants more money.
This drives me ******* nuts, and not just in this case. Gary doesn't run M.net out of the goodness of his heart and his wallet. He runs it as a business. None of the advertising he runs on that site makes him greedy; it makes him a good businessman. This is like saying the owner of Facebook is a greedy shitstain because he runs ads on the side of the page, or Google as a company is greedy because nearly 100% of their revenue is ad-based.

Is Rick (the owner of this site) just plain greedy because he added an enormous banner for non-subscribers, a bunch of in-forum advertising at the bottom of the page, and Google ads? No. He's a businessman.

Here's an interesting note: I poked around, curious as to how Mozilla makes any money at all.

-85% of the revenue that Mozilla made in 2006 was from Google, which paid them $57m to include the Google Toolbar as the default search engine in their browser.
-Google's net revenue from advertising in 2006 was $10.492b (yes, billion) dollars in 2006. This represents 99% of Google's total revenue.
-You could argue that the single company most affected by Firefox's AdBlock plugin is Google
Savington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM   #38
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: vancouver canada
Posts: 1,618
Total Cats: 0
Default

Sav,it's one thing to run a good business and provide the user with a good product(mozilla & google),it's totally different when Gary is charging the money he does and at the same time providing a now shitty forum(not what it use to be a few years ago)and expect people to be happy with it.

M.net had/has alot of potential,gary just needs to thin out the morons he elected as mods and get decent understanding people to do the job and let rules bend a little.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #39
Elite Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 5,382
Total Cats: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
Sav,it's one thing to run a good business and provide the user with a good product(mozilla & google),it's totally different when Gary is charging the money he does and at the same time providing a now shitty forum(not what it use to be a few years ago)and expect people to be happy with it.

M.net had/has alot of potential,gary just needs to thin out the morons he elected as mods and get decent understanding people to do the job and let rules bend a little.
And kick the 3rd Reich moderation policy...
elesjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:32 AM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,797
Total Cats: 248
Default

patsmx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My solution for Oiltemp and Oilpressure input into Megasuirt (MS3) Zaphod MEGAsquirt 41 01-24-2016 01:25 PM
Are my coils failing? viriiguy General Miata Chat 5 09-28-2015 08:39 PM
MS3 Basic Connection Issues EErockMiata MEGAsquirt 6 09-24-2015 10:49 AM
starting issue Johnny Tater Engine Performance 3 09-23-2015 07:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 PM.