who can get me a deal on a flat screen? - Page 5 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Insert BS here A place to discuss anything you want

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
LOLA - 92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SWAMPS OF FLORIDA !!!
Posts: 1,161
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I would have recommended a different direction (like the $900 Samsung at Sam's), but Philips uses LG panels, so it should be OK
Now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight BEN..
See! I needed your expertise with Flat Panels and Plasmas.........
Did I buy a $900 SHITBOX?
LOLA - 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #82
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA - 92 View Post
Now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight BEN..
See! I needed your expertise with Flat Panels and Plasmas.........
Did I buy a $900 SHITBOX?
Sleep fine. The LG panel is pretty good actually.

My reservation was that it's a refurb, and refurbs usually only carry 30 or 60 day warranty. As long as it has at least a 1 year on site warranty, it should be fine. $800 shipped is pretty cheap.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:50 AM   #83
Senior Member
 
LOLA - 92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SWAMPS OF FLORIDA !!!
Posts: 1,161
Total Cats: 0
Default Update Guys!

Well, for a while there, I thought I was going to be sorely disappointed with my decision. (NOT)
I received the "42 Philips Panel on Tuesday. It looked great and it was brand new. I am stilling learning about all of its functions.
For $846, I cannot complain. I have saved myself around $700 by purchasing this unit. Can't beat that ****!
90 day warranty!
LOLA
LOLA - 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #84
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,813
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

sweet glad you like it, that was a damn good deal! The one i went with comes monday.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #85
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 401
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA - 92 View Post
Well, for a while there, I thought I was going to be sorely disappointed with my decision. (NOT)
I received the "42 Philips Panel on Tuesday. It looked great and it was brand new. I am stilling learning about all of its functions.
For $846, I cannot complain. I have saved myself around $700 by purchasing this unit. Can't beat that ****!
90 day warranty!
LOLA
If you bought it with a CC, Visa, MC and AMEX usually will DOUBLE the manufacters warranty.
chuckerants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
LOLA - 92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SWAMPS OF FLORIDA !!!
Posts: 1,161
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
sweet glad you like it, that was a damn good deal! The one i went with comes monday.
What did you pick up BRAINY?
LOLA - 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #87
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,813
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

Panasonic TH-50PX60U, with a free Harmony universal remote, $1799 shipped to my door.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #88
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

the panny is the way to go. and so is the harmony. which model remote? 659?
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #89
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 407
Total Cats: 0
Default

I bought my 50 inch panasonic for 1800 with tax included. It was on black friday and no i didnt have have to wake up at 2 am to get this deal. I went in with my dad around noon. Its the flat screen hdtv one btw
krayzrac3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #90
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,813
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8s View Post
the panny is the way to go. and so is the harmony. which model remote? 659?
Yeah H659BLK. you got the harmony? how is it, it's free so what the hell, should make the wife happy.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 PM   #91
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

i loved it... it might suck batteries but that's only some firmware versions. if it doesn't, dont upgrade the fw.

just spend time updating it and get a feel for how the IR timings/delays work and you can set it up to be idiot proof.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #92
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

I'm bring this thread back up because I'm on the market now for a big screen HDTV. My question is: How do I hook up a computer to a 1080p HDTV? I'm sure it depends on the connections on the TV and the computer, but what are the different options assuming I don't have the TV or computer yet (well, I could always buy a different video card)? DVI to HDMI? TV with a DVI input? Fancy computer video card that has outputs for a tv?

I too am looking at the Sharp Aquos 52" LCD HDTV, screen looks ok to me and some of the prices I see are pretty good. The wife likes the asethetics of the Sony XBR's but for $1000+ more she said she doesn't need the pretty looks.

Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated. I know next to nothing about fancy computers or TVs.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #93
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

LC-52D62U ?
That display is a bit unusual in the fact that it does not have a VGA input. VGA isn't as sharp as the digital connections, but it's easy and reliable.

You'll need a video card for your computer. If the computer isn't a dedicated HTPC, get a dual monitor card. There are tons on the market that feature 1 VGA + 1 DVI output. You'll also need a 1080P capable HDMI cable and a Male DVI to Female HDMI adapter. Or preferably, a an HDMI-->DVI cable.

I *highly* recommed these guys for digital cables. They are the only company to supply me with cables that have worked 100% correctly 100% of the time:
http://www2.dvigear.com/hirecoca.html

There are a few HDMI out video cards on the market--but not many, and last I looked they were double-triple the cost of the dvi out card.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 12:54 PM   #94
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,479
Total Cats: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
LC-52D62U ?
Yes.
Quote:
That display is a bit unusual in the fact that it does not have a VGA input. VGA isn't as sharp as the digital connections, but it's easy and reliable.

You'll need a video card for your computer. If the computer isn't a dedicated HTPC, get a dual monitor card. There are tons on the market that feature 1 VGA + 1 DVI output. You'll also need a 1080P capable HDMI cable and a Male DVI to Female HDMI adapter. Or preferably, a an HDMI-->DVI cable.

I *highly* recommed these guys for digital cables. They are the only company to supply me with cables that have worked 100% correctly 100% of the time:
http://www2.dvigear.com/hirecoca.html

There are a few HDMI out video cards on the market--but not many, and last I looked they were double-triple the cost of the dvi out card.
Thanks Ben. What is a "HTPC"? Are there normally any issues with screen size (cutting off part of the screen, task bar, etc) when you run a HDTV off a computer?
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #95
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,813
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

home theater pc
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #96
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTim View Post
What is a "HTPC"? Are there normally any issues with screen size (cutting off part of the screen, task bar, etc) when you run a HDTV off a computer?
Home Theater PC

No, I've never had any issues, and we run PC's to flat panels and projectors pretty commonly. The video card and display will handshake.

The only time I get pissy is when I have to integrate a laptop. They can be a PITA if they are not dedicated.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #97
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,813
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

i was pissed the other day (last month) trying to figure out my s-video out on my laptop, then i read up about the 4 vs. 6 pin s-video or some bullshit. i sat there for an hour trying to figure that **** out....so i had to settle for watching top gear on my laptop :(

silly thing is I know i had the correct convertor to rca for the laptop, just couldn't find it.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #98
Ben
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (33)
 
Ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: atlanta-ish
Posts: 12,689
Total Cats: 99
Default

laptops are a PITA when it comes to getting video on a second display. It's that hollywood copyright bs. Let me guess, you could get the desktop to display fine, but didn't get any video when RealPlayer (or equivalent) opened the video file?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #99
y8s
2 Props,3 Dildos,& 1 Cat
iTrader: (8)
 
y8s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Fake Virginia
Posts: 19,037
Total Cats: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
i was pissed the other day (last month) trying to figure out my s-video out on my laptop, then i read up about the 4 vs. 6 pin s-video or some bullshit. i sat there for an hour trying to figure that **** out....so i had to settle for watching top gear on my laptop :(

silly thing is I know i had the correct convertor to rca for the laptop, just couldn't find it.
haha ****** Dell sucks my bawls.
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #100
Boost Czar
Thread Starter
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,813
Total Cats: 1,780
Default

hahaha how'd you guess.
Braineack is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 57 07-19-2017 05:11 PM
15x10 - 15x11 6UL @ 949 Racing emilio700 Wheels and Tires 151 06-02-2017 03:36 PM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
6ULs for Sale in Green Bay JStoops Miata parts for sale/trade 0 09-28-2015 06:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 AM.