Lotus Elise spins + Spec Miata = head on - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Media Got any pics or vids to share?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #21
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
jeff_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,056
Total Cats: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Much the same logic as when the drunk teenager walks away and the mother of three is killed, I suppose.

That just sucks.
it's science! all the force of impact on the lotus was converted into making it move backward. all the impact on the miata was to make it stop. miata driver takes a harder hit because of this.

drunk drivers walk away because your reflexes are slowed so they don
t have time to go "o ****" and get tensed up. same thing happens to people that fall asleep at the wheel.
jeff_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #22
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
NA6C-Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmingham Alabama
Posts: 8,038
Total Cats: 43
Default

Damn, that was more violent than I expected. I bet that makes your blood run cold to see that next to you as you go past. Good to know both guys were OK (besides wallets being thinner).
NA6C-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #23
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Livonia, Michigan
Posts: 5,684
Total Cats: 10
Default

Im a noob here..... is there any insurance that covers accidents at the track as such??
buffon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #24
Boost Pope
iTrader: (8)
 
Joe Perez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Delicious and Moist.
Posts: 26,327
Total Cats: 1,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
it's science! all the force of impact on the lotus was converted into making it move backward. all the impact on the miata was to make it stop. miata driver takes a harder hit because of this.
Shouldn't make a difference.

Assume that both an SM and a Lotus weigh the same. The Lotus is stationary (with brakes not applied) and the Miata is travelling forward, colliding head-on with the Lotus. Assuming the collision to be perfectly inelastic, 50% of the Miata's kinetic energy is transferred into the Lotus, causing it to accelerate backwards at a rate equal to the rate at which the Miata is decelerating. The forced imposed upon each driver are equal in both magnitude and direction.

The problem here appears to be more the fact that the front end of an Elise is roughly ramp-shaped. If the Miata hadn't gone airborne, things probably would not have been nearly as rough. Just speculating, but I'd guess that Ken's injuries were probably compressive in nature, owing to the secondary impact between the car and the ground when it came back down.
Joe Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #25
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
jeff_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 3,056
Total Cats: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon01 View Post
Im a noob here..... is there any insurance that covers accidents at the track as such??
**** NO! unless you where real good, pulled the number and logos and towed the car off site and hoped your name didn't come up on youtube of track video


Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
I'd guess that Ken's injuries were probably compressive in nature, owing to the secondary impact between the car and the ground when it came back down
i forgot about this part, and ya that's what fucked him up you would thing
jeff_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #26
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Outside of the Loop-ATL
Posts: 754
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Shouldn't make a difference.

Assume that both an SM and a Lotus weigh the same. The Lotus is stationary (with brakes not applied) and the Miata is travelling forward, colliding head-on with the Lotus. Assuming the collision to be perfectly inelastic, 50% of the Miata's kinetic energy is transferred into the Lotus, causing it to accelerate backwards at a rate equal to the rate at which the Miata is decelerating. The forced imposed upon each driver are equal in both magnitude and direction.

The problem here appears to be more the fact that the front end of an Elise is roughly ramp-shaped. If the Miata hadn't gone airborne, things probably would not have been nearly as rough. Just speculating, but I'd guess that Ken's injuries were probably compressive in nature, owing to the secondary impact between the car and the ground when it came back down.
I am no expert or anything but won't the fact that the elise had a more ramp-shaped front end, help keep both from taking the full bump. This way it allowed some the energy from the miata to be spent sliding up the elise instead of hit the elise? I think that may have help to slow the miata down slower and help to stop some of the forces from the dead stop. But I will agree that the slamming back into the ground most likely didn't help.
wildfire0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando FL - UCF
Posts: 688
Total Cats: 1
Default

The initial force between the Lotus and the Miata are the same, end of story. If you would like to argue, sign up for PHY 2048 at a near by campus, wait till about 3/4 of the way through the class then show the professor the video, argue your point, and be wrong still.

Edit:

I shivered when the impact happened in the video...nasty stuff.
coastertrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 3,908
Total Cats: 0
Default

And we're going that fast on track days without nearly that level of protection and a wider range of skill levels. (or lack of skill)

****.

The landing was likely the worst of it. The fact the Miata launched over the Lotus actually diminished the impact for both drivers at initial contact. Would have been more energy transfer if the miata hadn't deflected upward. The Miata faired worse since all the unspent energy from the impact went into launching it.

In pro racing the Evo would be protecting his line. In amatuer he's just asking for a beat down in the pits. I'm suprised they had such a wide speed differential with that Z running with the SM's. Also suprised the SM's don't try too hard to give the faster cars the line. Figured they would offer the courtesy to the faster class like the GT cars do for the P cars at Lemans.

Last edited by cueball1; 08-13-2009 at 05:14 PM.
cueball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #29
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 567
Total Cats: 1
Default

that was painful watching the z try to pass that evo lol
slutz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #30
Hittin' Boost & Cones
iTrader: (2)
 
240_to_miata's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cromwell, Connecticut
Posts: 2,572
Total Cats: 11
Default

****... limerock. that corner is crazy to stand at and spectate cause cars loose traction over that crest.

That crash is ridiculous.
240_to_miata is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
94-97 JR Header, FM Stage 1 Happy Meal, Carillo rods & Supertech Pistons eddy1128 Miata parts for sale/trade 8 12-10-2015 06:34 PM
Brakes ???? tomiboy Race Prep 124 11-02-2015 04:55 PM
Mazdaspeed 2.0L C-Spec ITB motor w/ accessories graexodus Miata parts for sale/trade 9 10-25-2015 04:34 PM
wiring wideband ground to battery terminal btabor ECUs and Tuning 10 09-28-2015 06:33 PM
starting issue Johnny Tater Engine Performance 3 09-23-2015 07:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.