CTS-V to a Miata - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default CTS-V to a Miata

Yep, sold my 04 CTS-V and picked up a track-prepped NA Miata! Couldnt be happier!

After input from a few different forums, driving instructors, pro-drivers, all recommending that if I want to learn to drive, ditch the heavy, high-hp car and get a miata, I did it.

I searched everywhere for a track prepped Miata that was in somewhat decent condition body-wise, engine was stock, but still had some suspension and safety mods already done that I didnt have to worry about, and around $5k. I was also looking for something with a few creature comforts where I could drive to and from the events with (a/c, p/s, radio) and was streetable. Most of the stuff I found was either a full-out race car that was out of my budget, a track-prepped street car with a bunch of engine mods (supercharger, turbo), or a bone stock car.

I finally came across a car that was caged, had seats, harnesses, and suspension, but stock engine, trans, p/s, a/c, radio, etc., and was in my budget. Called up the owner, whittled him down on the price, bought a plane ticket to CT, and drove it back to Florida. Here's the ad:

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/2283...Full-Cage.html

drivetrain has 158k on it, stock, no leaks, looks mint, runs great, has a new clutch, waterpump, timing belt, new fluids. I had the owner take off the worn-down RA-1s and put on BFG G-Force Sport tires to get me home. Oh, and it HAD A/C, from CT to NY... lol, another "to-do" item on my list now.

So far I've put a new Sparco Evo 2 plus seat in, Miatacage quick release w/ 320mm suede MOMO wheel, Schroth 6 pt HANS for drivers side and RCI 5 pt for the passenger, painted the cage and interior white, 15x8 black 6ULs w/ 225/45 Hankook RS3s (on order), ditched the RB springs and put in FM springs, and a few other things here and there.

After I get a season of seat time in this thing, my plan is to drop in a BP-4W longblock (99 motor) and am looking at the Rotrex S/C kit and adding an air-to-air intercooler. The car is going to be a track rat used in the Florida heat year round, so I'm going for reliability and not neccessarily the most power. Any input would be welcome!

I cant wait to get this thing out on track, but man what a difference hopping out of the V into this car, haha. I think I actually enjoy driving it more; I could care less about the lack of power, it's so fun how this thing handles like a go-kart. My goal for this car is to put the least amount of $$ into it as possible but keep it as a cheap, fun, reliable track toy.

Here's how it sits now, and my old CTS-V is picture below.



Attached Thumbnails
CTS-V to a Miata-309417_627358513389_203802289_33504010_516733065_n.jpg  

Last edited by smbstyle; 10-14-2011 at 01:11 PM.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,908
Total Cats: 1,793
Default

Welcome, smbstyle!
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
"Quality" is my first name.
iTrader: (3)
 
Quality Control Bot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,611
Total Cats: 69
Default

Welcome to the site smbstyle

Make sure to check out MTs picture gallery here
CLICK TO CHECK IT OUT - RATE PICTURES
Quality Control Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

Welcome to the site! I have a non-turbo tracked miata also. I think there is quite a couple of us here, but most are turbo'd.

Visit the track section for info and I think you will love tracking a miata. As slow of car as it is, we definitely have the most fun out there. Speaking of which...I am going to CMP in less than...5 hours
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 45
Total Cats: 2
Default

welcome, I too have come from more powerful cars and just prefer the miata over them.

I had a heavily modded WRX and my miata at the same time, sold the WRX bought a 2006 M3 competition coupe which I'm now selling, because in my world the M3 just doesn't do it for me like my miata does.

the "Track Prep" sub forum has legit stuff going on if your in to DIY track mods.
TSR85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedemPhex View Post
Welcome to the site! I have a non-turbo tracked miata also. I think there is quite a couple of us here, but most are turbo'd.

Visit the track section for info and I think you will love tracking a miata. As slow of car as it is, we definitely have the most fun out there. Speaking of which...I am going to CMP in less than...5 hours
gah, i still have 3 weeks until my first track event with this thing! im jealous. lol.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedemPhex View Post
Welcome to the site! I have a non-turbo tracked miata also. I think there is quite a couple of us here, but most are turbo'd.

Visit the track section for info and I think you will love tracking a miata. As slow of car as it is, we definitely have the most fun out there. Speaking of which...I am going to CMP in less than...5 hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by tougerenner View Post
welcome, I too have come from more powerful cars and just prefer the miata over them.

I had a heavily modded WRX and my miata at the same time, sold the WRX bought a 2006 M3 competition coupe which I'm now selling, because in my world the M3 just doesn't do it for me like my miata does.

the "Track Prep" sub forum has legit stuff going on if your in to DIY track mods.
haha, yeah, i had an M3 too (E36 though). Just too complicated, expensive to repair, not a big fan. I've bought a TON of parts for the Miata for the price of like a gasket for the M3. I just cant get over how cheap and easy these cars are to maintain, and how readily available they are.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 45
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
haha, yeah, i had an M3 too (E36 though). Just too complicated, expensive to repair, not a big fan. I've bought a TON of parts for the Miata for the price of like a gasket for the M3. I just cant get over how cheap and easy these cars are to maintain, and how readily available they are.
I know!!!

$500 for awesome miata tire, or $1500 for ok M3 sized tires
$3000 for 150+WHP added to the miata, or $3000 for potentially 20WHP for the M3.

When you look the dollar per fun ratio on the miata, then look at the M3 its kinda a joke.

Ive come to the conclusion while the M3 may not be the best in any one particular category its pretty much a close 2nd, and because of that if you could only have one car it would be a good car to server many functions. But personally id rather have an STi or EVO for the fun on the street factor as they are more "hyper" than the lazy dog M3.
TSR85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougerenner View Post
I know!!!

$500 for awesome miata tire, or $1500 for ok M3 sized tires
$3000 for 150+WHP added to the miata, or $3000 for potentially 20WHP for the M3.

When you look the dollar per fun ratio on the miata, then look at the M3 its kinda a joke.

Ive come to the conclusion while the M3 may not be the best in any one particular category its pretty much a close 2nd, and because of that if you could only have one car it would be a good car to server many functions. But personally id rather have an STi or EVO for the fun on the street factor as they are more "hyper" than the lazy dog M3.

yeah cant beat the bang for your buck with the Miata.

You still can't go wrong with an M3, if I had the money I would have kept mine and built it up to be a track car, but I'm ballin on a budget.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
Junior Member
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 89
Total Cats: 0
Default

Hell-yeah!!!!
atank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #11
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

hehe, no worries. I am having fun for the both of us

Not sure where lakeland is in florida, but if Road Atlanta is a plausible drive for you, then you should sign up for the NASA-SE Road Atlanta event in December. there is a couple of MFr'z and mt guys going to that (including me and sixshooter).
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
soviet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 3,519
Total Cats: 260
Default

I kind of dig the matte-black hard top
soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
rccote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,595
Total Cats: 17
Default

More FL peeps, welcome. Wise choice on the switch.
rccote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,011
Total Cats: 583
Default

I'm with ya' buddy. I've got both a Poncho G8 GT and a turbo Miata at my disposal for TX Hill Country "commuting." A Miata is an excellent way to keep miles off the G8.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedemPhex View Post
hehe, no worries. I am having fun for the both of us

Not sure where lakeland is in florida, but if Road Atlanta is a plausible drive for you, then you should sign up for the NASA-SE Road Atlanta event in December. there is a couple of MFr'z and mt guys going to that (including me and sixshooter).
I wish I could; I'm actually going out of town that weekend! I'd like to make a trip up there and run RA and AMP when it opens. Maybe NASA SE can do an Atlantafest where one weekend at RA and the next at AMP? lol
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 AM   #16
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet View Post
I kind of dig the matte-black hard top
thanks! its in rough shape, some cracks, bubbles, etc, but im planning on having it re-done properly.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #17
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccote View Post
More FL peeps, welcome. Wise choice on the switch.
Yes sir! Im right near by ya too. I'm over in Lakeland.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #18
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 76
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
I'm with ya' buddy. I've got both a Poncho G8 GT and a turbo Miata at my disposal for TX Hill Country "commuting." A Miata is an excellent way to keep miles off the G8.

I love those G8's, considered getting one myself, but wanted a 6 speed, and the used V's were cheaper at the time. The G8 GXPs look pretty sweet as well.
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #19
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wellford, SC
Posts: 1,704
Total Cats: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedemPhex View Post
Speaking of which...I am going to CMP in less than...5 hours
Carolina Motorsports Park? Where are you located? I'm only a little over an hour from there myself...
thagr81 us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,970
Total Cats: 49
Default

I am in Raleigh, NC. I will be at CMP again this weekend, if you would like to come spectate or even drive! I don't think the event is full (NASA-SE), atleast as of last night it wasn't.
Seefo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1994 Spec Miata Race Car SM/SM2/SSM For Sale Quinn Cars for sale/trade 6 10-23-2016 08:58 AM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
New M62 Miata owner Pist0n Meet and Greet 4 10-01-2015 09:18 PM
WTB HPDE miata - Texas Voltwings Cars for sale/trade 0 09-27-2015 07:40 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.