turbo vs. supercharger - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Meet and Greet Say Hi. De-noob yourself.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Royal Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 725
Total Cats: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein View Post
Post the same question over at www.miatasupercharger.net. See how helpful they are (not very) and then come back here and we will help you put a turbo on your car.
Clos561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 885
Total Cats: 2
Default

It depends, if you daily drive the car, the stress that a turbocharger's unpredictable power delivery can impart on your drivetrain can dangerously increase the chances of side fumbling. One of the possible fixes for this is to include a turbo entabulator in your build.



Unfortunately, most of us end up losing important engine internals to said side fumbling, so we ultimately end up ditching our turbo projects in favor of much more reliable and predictable superchargers for power delivery.






(welcome aboard. read a bunch of build threads and start planning a turbo build. you won't be sorry.)
Attached Thumbnails
turbo vs. supercharger-3825d1185600362-electric-supercharger-ef67_12.jpg  
devin mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
^ +1 perfect

not perfect.

you want the turbo for both.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
leatherface24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pembroke Pines
Posts: 4,033
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler View Post
Direct Exhaust Injection. More torque and instant power everywhere. Also more horsepower.
Lets not forget that you completely eliminate any and all possibilities of detonation. Also, its more 87 octane friendly
leatherface24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #25
Elite Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 6,010
Total Cats: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Perez View Post
Studies have shown that people who own superchargers are 67% more likely to own a cashmere sweater, commit sodomy, and develop Primary Idiopathic Polymyositis than those who own turbochargers.
Gosh darn it!! I installed the wrong device. I wish I had asked this question before making such a big mistake.
hornetball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
leatherface24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pembroke Pines
Posts: 4,033
Total Cats: 2
Default

leatherface24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,579
Total Cats: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
not perfect.

you want the turbo for both.

I'd imagine most normal commuters who want more power would prefer the low end grunt of a supercharger because most people don't hit the higher revs where a turbo powerband really kicks in. Atleast not very often. I could be mistaken though.
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
leatherface24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pembroke Pines
Posts: 4,033
Total Cats: 2
Default

obvious troll is obvious. This one isnt even fun
leatherface24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,899
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
I'd imagine most normal commuters who want more power would prefer the low end grunt of a supercharger because most people don't hit the higher revs where a turbo powerband really kicks in. Atleast not very often. I could be mistaken though.

yeah, because my turbo makes more pwoer down low on my puny 1.6L than anyother supercharger out there.

and I DD the damn thing.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #30
Murderator
iTrader: (76)
 
18psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36,199
Total Cats: 2,584
Default

Typical weenies keep mentioning "low end grunt" when talking about superchargers.

I have driven a few m45 jr cars, WHERE IS THIS GRUNT?

Because if you call what they have down there "grunt", your mind will be blown if you drive a turbo car.
18psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #31
Elite Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Ryan_G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 2,579
Total Cats: 155
Default

I have never ridden in a supercharged miata so I was operating off of an apparently incorrect assumption that they behaved like other superchargered vehicles I have ridden in that have a very good low end powerband and then kind of taper or plateau up top. I guess I should have also considered that the other vehicles had larger engines and would inherently behave much differently
Ryan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooger03 View Post
If you're a commuter, put in a supercharger.

If you're a driver, put in a turbocharger.
I wrote this under the premise that a "commuter" is panicked by their car doing anything other than the mind numbingness they've come to expect. Therefore, if you told a "commuter" that you added 40 hp to their car simply by changing to a synthetic oil, that "commuter" would jump into their car, drive it down the highway, and the car would act just as they expected it to act. They would then tell all of their co-workers that the amazing guys at the jiffy-lube added 40 hp to their car simply by switching the oil!

A supercharger, therefore, would be for a "commuter" who could tell his friends that he's added 120hp to the car without actually being panicked by the fact that his car isn't driving as he expected it to.

A "driver" actually understands how car-stuff works (either that, or he's at least gets some enjoyment out of driving). If you told a "driver" that you were going to add 40hp to his car by changing to synthetic oil, he would put his credit card back into his wallet and drive to another shop. If you're a "driver", then you want to go turbo. Unfortunately for the "commuter", a turbocharger changes EVERYTHING about the car - the way it feels, the powerband, the way it sounds - all things that mean FREAK-THE------OUT as far as the commuter is concerned. Fortunately for the "driver", he *expects* that his car is going to act differently when he triples the engine output, and when his expectations are met, it is pure bliss to the driver.

Unfortunately, when a "driver" installs a supercharger system, the car continues to act exactly like it always has - with a disappointing powerband all the way to redline. It's not that superchargers have "grunt" down at the low end, it's that superchargers lack the "oompf" for the other 9/10ths of the rev range.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #33
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 19
Default

The answer is compound charging.
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
fooger03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,133
Total Cats: 188
Default

Add a nitrous system that runs off a map of:

"((%_of_max_MAP - .05) - %_of_throttle)/n = %_of_max_N20_injection"

Wouldn't use a lot of N20 because the equation would turn it completely off by ~ 2k RPM, but there'd be no "lag" either.
fooger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #35
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (24)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,073
Total Cats: 253
Default

I'd cut off my own dick and eat it before having another supercharger.
viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #36
Tour de Franzia
iTrader: (6)
 
hustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Republic of Dallas
Posts: 29,114
Total Cats: 351
Default

Turbochwrgers suffer from horrible lag and throttle response, they are dangerous, and unreliable.
hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maumelle, AR
Posts: 618
Total Cats: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperormiata View Post
I'd cut off my own dick and eat it before having another supercharger.
Word. we bought a SC kit for my brothers car... with the intention of 'well its easy to bolt on and it'll be ready before I get all my turbo stuff together'.. We got lazy and it was actually installed after I had my car back together. Big mistake, lol. There is nothing thats more of a let down than driving a SC miata after driving a turbo miata. Both in the ball park of the same power....
The mild pulley'd SC w/ TDR intercooler with big-*** TB Does provide largely instantaneous power when you mash the loud pedal, however it also is a bitch to idle, and real pita to drive when you're used to a car w/ throttle response. I suppose you could get used to it, I'd rather not.... It sucks a lot of the fun out of the car.

With that said, there is a range of about 1500-2200 rpm where my gt2560 just will not make positive pressure but the SC does. And umm... yeah, thats about it. And honestly, its not much more power than stock, the car is still a dog there... Not too mention, even at an autocross.... you never use those 700 rpm.

Tapping an oil pan, messing w/ exhaust.... All totally worth it... And the Turbo car is always going to get better gas mileage than the SC car, except at the track because the turbo car will almost certainly be making more power, thus burning more gas anyway
ianferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #38
NB/VVT Connoisseur
iTrader: (24)
 
viperormiata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Key West
Posts: 6,073
Total Cats: 253
Default

viperormiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #39
Moderator
iTrader: (11)
 
sixshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 15,684
Total Cats: 1,562
Default

A commuter would hate that a supercharger would give him bad fuel economy all the time due to its drag and inefficiency even when you are not "using" it. It is on all the time.

And it is wearing out all the time. You only get so many revolutions before it needs to be rebuilt. Do you know what it costs to rebuild it?

Most turbo rebuild kits cost $60 to $100. They are so simple, with a little instruction you could even rebuild it yourself.

My whole turbo cost $250 brand new. I consider that to be a plus.

You can choose a turbo that will enhance your powerband at 1500 rpm or 15000 rpm if you want. It is up to you. The right turbo will make more power with greater efficiency than any positive displacement supercharger at any rpm you select. If you want 5lbs of pressure at 1500 rpm for some stupid reason, you can get it.

Many people who elect to go with positive displacement superchargers do so because they are too lazy to learn how to pick the right turbo. Every moron knows how a fan belt works.

Sidebar: Has anyone ever discussed the fact that very high cylinder pressures at incredibly low rpms is horrible for an engine. Gasses escape the combustion chamber past the rings at a given rate when they are at a given pressure. At 2500 rpm those harsh, sooty gasses have twice as much time to get past the rings into the crankcase and contaminate the lubricants as when operating at 5000 rpm.

Additionally, the side loading of the piston skirt against the cylinder wall would be accentuated, and would also allow more time for the oil film between the skirt and cylinder wall to be displaced. This will accelerate wear and additional piston rock and slap.

The oil volume and pressure will be significantly less at 2500 rpm than at 5000 rpm. And twice as much time will exist with that extreme pressure load on top of the piston trying to squeeze the small volume of oil out from between the rod bearing and the crankshaft. Less oil would also be slung up to the wrist pin at those speeds and far less cooling oil would contact the underside of the piston.

The piston would also be exposed to extreme high heat for a longer duration between exposures to a fresh cooling charge of air and fuel precipitating an increased piston temperature and therefore increasing the propensity of detonation. The hot spots in the combustion chamber would likewise be aggravated by the duration of exposure to extreme heat and the added detriment of a significantly slower flow of helpful coolant.

I was admonished at a young age never to "lug" an engine because it was detrimental to an engine's life. I guess some people were not similarly admonished in their youth.
sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #40
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,165
Total Cats: 19
Default

When you say "lug" an engine, do you mean drive at too low a speed in too high a gear?
gearhead_318 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 12-15-2017 09:00 PM
WTB MP62 (Hotside) (NB2) Rick02R WTB 3 01-03-2016 08:18 PM
Expected intake temps on the track? tazswing Race Prep 20 10-03-2015 12:04 PM
ISO 1.6 turbo cast iron manifold cale saurage DIY Turbo Discussion 16 10-01-2015 12:25 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.