1990 mx5, 550 injectors, T28 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St.Helens UK
Posts: 22
Total Cats: 0
Default 1990 mx5, 550 injectors, T28

hi, ive just finnished buildin my 1990 1.6 mx5 , ive got 550 injectors, adj fuel pressure reg, t28 off an s14, LC1 wide band and removed the AFM and just fitted a MSPNP9093, sorry if this has been covered in the past but i need base map or a suitablemap for this, also what should i set the fuel pressure to? could some one please help ive not had any experience with this side of things
taz5430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

remove the afpr.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 1,371
Total Cats: -1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braineack View Post
remove the afpr.
+1

the 550's will flow more than enough at stock pressure. It would be silly to tune with rising fuel pressure.
wes65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St.Helens UK
Posts: 22
Total Cats: 0
Default

i no longer have the standard fuel pressure reg, what is the standard pressure, or will i be better buying a new standard pressure reg?
taz5430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,860
Total Cats: 1,788
Default

35psi at idle. 48-50psi at atmosphere.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz5430 View Post
hi, ive just finnished buildin my 1990 1.6 mx5 , ive got 550 injectors, adj fuel pressure reg, t28 off an s14, LC1 wide band and removed the AFM and just fitted a MSPNP9093, sorry if this has been covered in the past but i need base map or a suitablemap for this, also what should i set the fuel pressure to? could some one please help ive not had any experience with this side of things

Q : How well will a 1.6 idle with the 550 injectors and the Megasquirt PnP and a Walbro 190 ? ?

I have the 550s on order for extra head room and I was told that my idle may suffer...

Can I get them altered to a better atomizing pintle when I rebuild them ?

Cheers.

Poobs
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shalimar, FL
Posts: 965
Total Cats: 7
Default

You'll be able to idle them fine, especially if you have sequential injection. Don't worry about altering the injectors. Plenty of people on here run 20 year old rx-7 550s with no problem, myself included. Just make sure they're clean and flowed before throwing them in. Deatschwerks is where I send my injectors.
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahx View Post
You'll be able to idle them fine, especially if you have sequential injection. Don't worry about altering the injectors. Plenty of people on here run 20 year old rx-7 550s with no problem, myself included. Just make sure they're clean and flowed before throwing them in. Deatschwerks is where I send my injectors.
Thanks man !
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Default

Maybe I should have give more info ...

This is going to be ( at least at the start ) a relatively low boost set-up - maybe 5 to 6 lbs.
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Elite Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 2,502
Total Cats: 13
Default

Put it this way. I ran 12PSI and 190whp on 460cc injectors with a stock fpr. around 85% duty. You'll be just fine running a stock FPR.

My suggestion, find an OEM FPR and run that for now. Once you hit the dyno for a real tune, throw the AFPR on and set it to 35-38PSI. A AFPR provided it is a legit quality brand (like aeromotive) will hold fuel pressure much steadier than the OEM one. Less fluctuation in pressure. I noticed it big time when I went from my stock one to the Aeromotive.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Put it this way. I ran 12PSI and 190whp on 460cc injectors with a stock fpr. around 85% duty. You'll be just fine running a stock FPR.

My suggestion, find an OEM FPR and run that for now. Once you hit the dyno for a real tune, throw the AFPR on and set it to 35-38PSI. A AFPR provided it is a legit quality brand (like aeromotive) will hold fuel pressure much steadier than the OEM one. Less fluctuation in pressure. I noticed it big time when I went from my stock one to the Aeromotive.
Sorry, I neglected to include all the information - I am running a Megasquirt stand alone ECU and don't have a AFPR.
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Warrington/Birmingham
Posts: 2,658
Total Cats: 39
Default

I run RX7 550's (which ended up flowtesting at 600cc...) they'll idle fine at stoich with sequential injection, however getting them to consistently idle at that AFR is becoming the bane of my life.

It's the final 5% of the tune which is super hard to nail.
richyvrlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #13
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Default

Thanks for posting. I already ordered the 550's but I'm counting on the injector rebuilding place trading me for a set of 400 plus flow injectors if need be.... ( ? )

Last edited by poobs; 12-28-2010 at 06:22 PM.
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 AM   #14
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shalimar, FL
Posts: 965
Total Cats: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poobs View Post
Thanks for posting. I already ordered the 550's but I'm counting on the injector rebuilding place trading me for a set of 400 plus flow injectors if need be.... ( ? )
Keep your 550s. They should be the last injectors you need until/if you go above 250whp.

You don't need an AFPR, but a Walbro 190HP might not be a bad idea. You'll find out if you need a new fuel pump when you start pushing a little more boost. I ended up getting one because my old setup was an e-manage+afpr and the stock pump couldn't hold more than 60psi to redline.
messiahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiahx View Post
Keep your 550s. They should be the last injectors you need until/if you go above 250whp.

You don't need an AFPR, but a Walbro 190HP might not be a bad idea. You'll find out if you need a new fuel pump when you start pushing a little more boost. I ended up getting one because my old setup was an e-manage+afpr and the stock pump couldn't hold more than 60psi to redline.
Thanks guys

So far, opinion seems to be evenly divided between 550s or smaller

falcon. I tried to PM you but your message box is full...
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #16
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 774
Total Cats: -5
Default

Well, during our tuning session both AFR and injector duty cycle seemed to be ok for high kpa at 6psi boost. So, I may be selling the 550s
poobs is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Today 10:04 PM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 PM.