1st Datalog, what to do now? - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default 1st Datalog, what to do now?

I finally did my first data log. Well.. I am running through some trouble. The coolant on the mspnp was reading 215 degrees. On my car, the temp gauge read normal. Even after a semi-long drive. While driving, between 2700 - 3000 rpm my wideband was starting to read lean (between 17 - 22). I didn't touch anything else besides record and changing the spark settings from 10 to -10 so it doesn't drive slow as *****. I uploaded the msq. file.. If any corrections needs to be made, please do so... thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: msq datalog1.msq (35.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: xls datalog201211131652.xls (1.95 MB, 68 views)
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

I ordered a set of rx7 non turbo injectors. Red tops. I'm going to install those and the front mount and I'll do another data log.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,107
Total Cats: 518
Default

The stock gauge reads nothing but "normal" until 220 degrees.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Erat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,199
Total Cats: 260
Default

Yeah you were overheating.
Erat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Checked for leaks in the cooling system...nothing. Still reads 215 on my ms. Any way to adjust this? My skid plates are on.. And I'm in the process of reading more about tuning the AFR. I am a complete noob..and I apologize for my ignorance..


edit**

When the injectors are in, I'll do another log. Found out how to adjust the temp.

More settings >> Outputs >> CLT >> change 215 to 125 >> Burn to ECU

Last edited by AdoboMiata; 11-15-2012 at 12:51 PM.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 30
Total Cats: 3
Default

Uhm, wat?

The MS says your coolant temp is 215F and you repair it by changing settings. My temp gauge kept around 11:30 to 12:00 position whenever the coolant temp was anywhere between 70C and 115C (158F - 239F). I was running around 110C for the whole summer because of this. Replaced the thermostat and the temps dropped to 90C which they should be.
[Ode] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ode] View Post
Uhm, wat?

The MS says your coolant temp is 215F and you repair it by changing settings. My temp gauge kept around 11:30 to 12:00 position whenever the coolant temp was anywhere between 70C and 115C (158F - 239F). I was running around 110C for the whole summer because of this. Replaced the thermostat and the temps dropped to 90C which they should be.
So.. 215 is normal?
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,107
Total Cats: 518
Default

No, 215 is hot.

YOUR CAR IS OVER HEATING
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

With me being in Hawaii (closer to the equator) and you guys closer to the north pole and also being at a higher elevation. I am closer to sea level. Would the difference in altitudes vary from where I am located? Cause my operating temp. to be around 215F.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 325
Total Cats: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoboMiata View Post
With me being in Hawaii (closer to the equator) and you guys closer to the north pole and also being at a higher elevation. I am closer to sea level. Would the difference in altitudes vary from where I am located? Cause my operating temp. to be around 215F.
You can run at 215f but it is not ideal and indicates a problem unless you are at track pace. Running lean will cause overheating or running hot which it sounds like you are. Check the thermostat, check your rad fans, validate if you are running lean and correct. If you have trouble changing injector parameters to adjust your far, get a tuner. If you can't do that for some reason, start going richer on your afr, check your plugs often and validate with wideband.
vtjballeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjballeng View Post
You can run at 215f but it is not ideal and indicates a problem unless you are at track pace. Running lean will cause overheating or running hot which it sounds like you are. Check the thermostat, check your rad fans, validate if you are running lean and correct. If you have trouble changing injector parameters to adjust your far, get a tuner. If you can't do that for some reason, start going richer on your afr, check your plugs often and validate with wideband.
I don't think I would want to run 215F. lol. Will playing with the CLT settings make a difference? I noticed that it is set to 215.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 325
Total Cats: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoboMiata View Post
I don't think I would want to run 215F. lol. Will playing with the CLT settings make a difference? I noticed that it is set to 215.
No. You seem to be stuck on the idea that this is a programming issue with the CLT value. While I can't fully discount this possible issue, based on what you have said please look into the issues I mentioned and others have already mentioned in this thread.
vtjballeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjballeng View Post
No. You seem to be stuck on the idea that this is a programming issue with the CLT value. While I can't fully discount this possible issue, based on what you have said please look into the issues I mentioned and others have already mentioned in this thread.
Double checked my cooling system and everything was fine; there was pressure in the upper and lower hoses, thermostat was replaced, radiator was replaced, did about 3 coolant flushes ever since I had the turbo, there are no bubbles in the system. When I hooked up my MS and took it out for a test run, it would lean at around 3k rpm (17 - 22). Looks like I need to play with the fuel and afr tables a bit more.

Once my rx7 injectors comes in, I'll install my IAT sensor, upload the MAP provided by diyautotune, and do another Datalog.

Here's a little more information about my car:

5psi of boost
internal wastegate
recently installed the FMIC
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #14
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 325
Total Cats: 20
Default

Great start to diagnosing the issue. Rad fan(s) working? How do the plugs look? Is the 17-22 afr under boost at 3k rpm? Are you able to change injector on times in this region of the tune?
vtjballeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #15
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjballeng View Post
Great start to diagnosing the issue. Rad fan(s) working? How do the plugs look? Is the 17-22 afr under boost at 3k rpm? Are you able to change injector on times in this region of the tune?
Rad fan is working, plugs look fine, and yes it's around there under boost. I'm running an Begi FPR with the stock 1.6 injectors. I did the datalog with the fpr on and stock 1.6 injectors.

I posted a thread about resizing injectors. I recently bought tan top 1.8 injectors from a local. I was informed that they are re-sized to 550cc by VENOM . According to everyone, they are crap so I decided to purchase some 460cc red top injectors from an rx7 forum. Ups lost the package so the person is sending me another set of injectors. Anyways. I was thinking of using that re-sized injectors (since it's 1.8 injectors and can handle up to 8psi) and removing the FPR.

Here is the link to my other thread (more hating than helping ) :
https://www.miataturbo.net/attachmen...-img_0028-jpg\

Apparently, it's not legit..they replaced the O-rings and drilled the injector.
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 325
Total Cats: 20
Default

What is your injector duty cycle in the lean regions with your existing injectors? Are you able to increase the fueling in the lean regions?
vtjballeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjballeng View Post
What is your injector duty cycle in the lean regions with your existing injectors? Are you able to increase the fueling in the lean regions?
I'm not too sure if I'm looking at the right thing in Megalogviewer.. but here:

DutyCycle1= 1:6.3
DutyCycle2= 2:13.1

I didn't get the chance to increase the fueling. What I did was use the base map (w/ afm) from megasquirt, and auto corrected the VE tables on Megalogviewer. I'll install the 1.8 injectors, redo my intercooler piping, and install the IAT sensor today and do another datalog, but this time play around with the AFR and VE tables.

Here is the idle test msq file:
Attached Files
File Type: msq idletest1.msq (35.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: xls idletest.xls (157.9 KB, 50 views)
AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
Junior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 380
Total Cats: -17
Default

AdoboMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Grinding into 5th and coasting shanesauce General Miata Chat 1 09-06-2015 09:47 PM
the real truth Braineack Insert BS here 13 04-07-2007 09:34 PM
Red Beast might be for sale... rmcelwee Cars for sale/trade 5 07-17-2006 04:38 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.