Runs like a bat out of hell. - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


MEGAsquirt A place to collectively sort out this megasquirt gizmo

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default Runs like a bat out of hell.

After correcting a few things tonight with a reminder and help of Al Hounos I was able to get the car running GOOOD running just fuel tonight. Running 7 psi on stock injectors with the stock ECU controlling timing. It runs so good compared to when i had the Voodoo box in there. It's ridiculous how much better it is. I really can't explain how amazing it is compared to what it was. The scary thing is its only 7 psi max and its tuned RICH under boost and when i say rich i mean like 10.5:1.

I still need to fix a few things and tune fuel some more but I'll do that tomorrow then I'll work on timing and then onto idle. Once i get all that figured out I'll be dropping the 550s in and saying a few prayers that i don't kill myself.
Looks like i'll be able to make the autocross on sunday though, long as things continue to go well with me.

Moral of this story.
Megasquirt=Lots of time. Less money. More cursing. More satisfaction in knowing you built it. So far i'm super happy i went this route, even though its taken FOREVER to get it right.
Now that i've done this much once, I'd definitely do it again.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,168
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
Moral of this story.
Megasquirt=Lots of time. Less money. More cursing. More satisfaction in knowing you built it. So far i'm super happy i went this route, even though its taken FOREVER to get it right.
Now that i've done this much once, I'd definitely do it again.
EXACTLY how I feel. It was really frustrating at times, but I wouldn't do it again any other way.
Al Hounos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #3
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

7psi with an AFPR is not the same as 7PSI with megasquirt eh? I know exactly what you are saying and felt that way 8 days ago when i finally got into boost with megasquirt for the first time. Now I have an oil leak and will most likely pull the motor tomorrow to fix it since it is the oil pump seal ...
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryrye View Post
7psi with an AFPR is not the same as 7PSI with megasquirt eh? I know exactly what you are saying and felt that way 8 days ago when i finally got into boost with megasquirt for the first time. Now I have an oil leak and will most likely pull the motor tomorrow to fix it since it is the oil pump seal ...
Actually being a '99 with a returnless fuel system i didn't have a AFPR, just a voodoo box that would increase fuel by modifying the injector signals when under boost, it had a built in 02 clamp. The deal was they're a PITA to tune and the AFR curve SUCKS. This is by far better.
Sucks about the oil leak and having to pull the motor. I hopefully won't have to pull any motors untill i'm out of college with a proper place to do it.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 AM   #5
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 239
Total Cats: 0
Default

Just be careful that it doesn't feel so good because it's running too much timing. You know how they always say the motor feels strongest before it goes boom....

And 10.5:1 isn't that rich for turbo. That's just a good safe tune. Most STI tuners go for around 11:0, and that's with compression lower than the miata.

Not trying to raid on your parade, just trying to throw out a word of caution.

Congrats on the setup. I'm looking to go megasquirt and turbo, so I'm jealous. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pay someone else to do the megasquirt setup, because I know I wouldn't have the patience and perseverance to do it myself.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:33 AM   #6
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

its really no big deal to pull the motor for me any more, the part i dread the most is draining the transmission fluid lol with the PS, AC, and misc other stuff taken out of the engine bay, all i will need to do is drain the tranny fluid and coolant, unhook the 8 or so electrical connectors, pull the driveshaft, disconnect the clutch slave, unbolt the motormount nuts, disconnect the Radiator in/outlets, pull the radiator out, and then the motor will just pop right out.



actually its still gonna be a bitch, id estimate 3 hours to get it pulled, an hour to fix the leak and another 3 hours to put it back in.

Last edited by akaryrye; 04-10-2007 at 03:45 AM.
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 AM   #7
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Just be careful that it doesn't feel so good because it's running too much timing. You know how they always say the motor feels strongest before it goes boom....

And 10.5:1 isn't that rich for turbo. That's just a good safe tune. Most STI tuners go for around 11:0, and that's with compression lower than the miata.

Not trying to raid on your parade, just trying to throw out a word of caution.

Congrats on the setup. I'm looking to go megasquirt and turbo, so I'm jealous. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pay someone else to do the megasquirt setup, because I know I wouldn't have the patience and perseverance to do it myself.

-Mike
13:1 should be good for up to 7psi
12.5:1 for 7-10psi
12:1 for 10-12psi
11.5:1 for 12-15psi
11:1 for 15-18psi
... and so on. From what I know those should be on the safe side. A tuned STI often runs in the 15-18psi range and their turbo's are physically no bigger than a gt2554 stock. This is of course assuming there is a decent ignition map. 10.5:1 is pretty damn rich for 7psi but not bad to start with.

Am I missing something?
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

no you are spot on 12.5-1 max power 10.5-1 or less is diminishing returns as the un ignited fuel could blow up in the manifold and this would be bad. yeah pulling the motor is much easier the 3rd time esp if you have a nice lift and take off the hood for clearance
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Senior Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 596
Total Cats: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjernigan View Post
Looks like i'll be able to make the autocross on sunday though, long as things continue to go well with me.
Sweet, you coming to the Superspeedway? I am the chair for the event so it should be a good Miata course.
sbrian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Duluth, GA 30097
Posts: 798
Total Cats: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryrye View Post
13:1 should be good for up to 7psi
12.5:1 for 7-10psi
12:1 for 10-12psi
11.5:1 for 12-15psi
11:1 for 15-18psi
... and so on. From what I know those should be on the safe side. A tuned STI often runs in the 15-18psi range and their turbo's are physically no bigger than a gt2554 stock. This is of course assuming there is a decent ignition map. 10.5:1 is pretty damn rich for 7psi but not bad to start with.

Am I missing something?
Nope-- you're pretty spot on there. That's with proper timing, and alloting for the fact that every engine is different so these are guidelines and not hardcore fact... but they're good guidelines. You have to take into account comp. ration/head design/other mods/if you get really technical, but generally these guidelines would be a good place to start... or just a hair on the safe side if you want. You very seldomly want under 11:1 AFR as you could wash down the cylinder walls and that's not a good thing for the engine, not to mention you're going to be down on power.

I'm at 10.5psi and 11.5:1 right now on the MR2 at WOT and that's probably just a hair on the rich side. I think I'd pickup maybe 5-8whp or so if I leaned it out to 11.8-11.9:1... maybe 12. You do this on a proper dyno though, and ideally you pull some timing first, get your AFRs where you want them, and then add the timing back carefully a little at a time. I just installed MS controlled boost control on the MR2 and I love it and need to get it back on the dyno... but first I'm building a new downpipe.

I'll stop talking about my MR2 here when I get our new '91 Miata turbo'd next month . There are reasons it needs to stay stock this month...

Congrats to you though Cjernigan-- Once you get ignition control moved over and do just a bit of tuning you'll be even more impressed I'm sure. You may be running alot of timing for the motor, and may NOT want to lean it out right now as that may be saving you-- though I'd work on getting the timing right so you can bring those AFRs up a bit and get it all dialed in nicely... then you'll have a little rocket there...
FoundSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #11
Elite Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (13)
 
cjernigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,147
Total Cats: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrian2 View Post
Sweet, you coming to the Superspeedway? I am the chair for the event so it should be a good Miata course.
Yeah that's the plan. Depends on what's going on with school and all. I'm still trying to get my tune right. Sure that will be a near never ending saga in itself.
Any recommendations on things to bring? The current plan is to bring some food and water and race on the KDW's i daily drive with.
cjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 596
Total Cats: 3
Default

Cool, look forward to meeting you. Read this to answer most of your questions: http://s91719888.onlinehome.us/phpBB...topic.php?t=87

Let me know if you have any others.
sbrian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

i hope to be able to drive down as well we shall see. A helmet is a good thing to bring. As well as anything else you would want for a dyno day meaning oil, spark plugs etc. Dont bring WMI i have come to find out i wasnt supposed to be able to race with it in place :gay:
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #14
Elite Member
iTrader: (5)
 
akaryrye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 2,526
Total Cats: 0
Default

Wmi?
akaryrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #15
:(
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nowhere
Posts: 8,281
Total Cats: 2
Default

Water methanol injection silly
magnamx-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 58 Yesterday 10:04 PM
Changing from 460cc to flow force 610cc in diypnp 90 Turbo MEGAsquirt 19 10-19-2015 04:23 PM
Back to Stock Part Out!! Turbo Parts, MS2 Enhanced 01-05, Suspension, and MOAR! StratoBlue1109 Miata parts for sale/trade 16 10-02-2015 10:39 AM
Time to start learning and play with tuning The Gleas MEGAsquirt 3 10-01-2015 10:30 AM
Got bad Crank Angle Sensor and Random Misfire codes, but runs fine. Greasyman General Miata Chat 2 09-28-2015 11:44 AM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 PM.