Free Manual Boost Controller (2) - Page 2 - Miata Turbo Forum - Boost cars, acquire cats.

Welcome to Miataturbo.net   Members
 


Miata parts for sale/trade Buy, trade or sell your Miata parts here.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
I'm a terrible person
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Okay so you said the T valve is better... now you say they are the same.

I do agree adjustment on the T valve is a bit easier, because on the Grainger the **** is attached to where the vacuum line attaches. But performance wise really no difference.

Either way I'm trying to get data to show the pwness (or not, who knows) of these. So if no one really wants to get a free boost controller to ---- around with and help the community then so be it.

When did this place become a bunch of flaming assho... oh wait it's MT.net

Luv u gays
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

wait, what are you trying to accomplish here?


the grainer MBC is better. I made one for $14, and it's baller. its the same FM used to sell for $40.


I used it for my high boost level when i was still on MSI:



I used a solenoid to toggle a switch between wastegate and MBC.
Attached Thumbnails
Free Manual Boost Controller (2)-ebc_mbc.jpg  
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
I'm a terrible person
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

What am I trying to accomplish? I want someone, well 2 people, preferably with different turbo setups, to log some ---- with these boost controllers.

I'm gonna make like 50 of them and sell them, but i need some sort of data to back it up.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Okay so you said the T valve is better... now you say they are the same.

I do agree adjustment on the T valve is a bit easier, because on the Grainger the **** is attached to where the vacuum line attaches. But performance wise really no difference.
Okay why do I say the T valve is better? Easier adjustment as you have no vacuum line to worry about, the T valve seems more solid since you have a thick walled T pipe on there and a giant 14 some mm nut with a same size bolt, yet operation remains the same. At last T valve is cheaper to make and all the stuff can be bought locally from ace hardware. Grainger valve has a thin wall encasing, thin wall slim nut, and a vacuum line that gets in the way of adjustment, and again operation remains the same.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #25
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

I would do it for you, but timing is not right. I cant do it until late Aug.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
I'm a terrible person
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
Okay why do I say the T valve is better? Easier adjustment as you have no vacuum line to worry about, the T valve seems more solid since you have a thick walled T pipe on there and a giant 14 some mm nut with a same size bolt, yet operation remains the same. At last T valve is cheaper to make and all the stuff can be bought locally from ace hardware. Grainger valve has a thin wall encasing, thin wall slim nut, and a vacuum line that gets in the way of adjustment, and again operation remains the same.
And yet all of this is said with no real information. I can say a lot of ----. I'm great at making stuff up. Hell it might even sound half way coherent.

How often are you adjusting your boost controller? If it's that often, this isn't the boost controller for you. Manual boost controllers are for setting it and going. Not changing it 20 times a day. Get an electronic one if you want it to be easy.

T Valve "seems" more solid. This will operate with no issue under the operation conditions of a car. Unless you mount it under the valve cover.

Cheaper to make? Doubtful... less than $12? If so then go do it. This isn't for you. The nut is more than capable of holding the adjustment, and did just fine on my car for a long time.

Your argument is invalid. (Insert Picture Here)

Seriously though. GTFO.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
How often are you adjusting your boost controller? If it's that often, this isn't the boost controller for you. Manual boost controllers are for setting it and going. Not changing it 20 times a day. Get an electronic one if you want it to be easy.
Do you have a scale on there that says how many turns is 1 psi? Unless you do you'll have to adjust it quite a few times to get to the psi you want to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
T Valve "seems" more solid. This will operate with no issue under the operation conditions of a car. Unless you mount it under the valve cover.
I'd rather tighten the nut on there good than have the nut rattle free and then all the sudden i'm running 100% wastegate. 1/8" wall is much stronger than the 1/16" wall on the grainger valve...the 1/4" width nut is much stronger than the 3/16th slim nut from the grainger valve. At last you're tightening the nut on a solid 1/2" bolt instead of the thin 1/16" wall of the grainger fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Cheaper to make? Doubtful... less than $12? If so then go do it. This isn't for you. The nut is more than capable of holding the adjustment, and did just fine on my car for a long time.
Brass Tee 2.99
2 Brass hose barbs 1.45
Bolt with nut <1$
Spring and a ball. <1$.
I am running one that I made less than 12 bucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRT_Fun View Post
Your argument is invalid. (Insert Picture Here)

Seriously though. GTFO.
(Insert picture here)
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
Do you have a scale on there that says how many turns is 1 psi? Unless you do you'll have to adjust it quite a few times to get to the psi you want to run.
same with the T style.


Quote:
I'd rather tighten the nut on there good than have the nut rattle free and then all the sudden i'm running 100% wastegate.
the inline style has a lock nut.


Quote:
Brass Tee 2.99
2 Brass hose barbs 1.45
Bolt with nut <1$
Spring and a ball. <1$.
I am running one that I made less than 12 bucks
Part for the inline style are right at ~$12 as well.

Quote:
(Insert picture here)




The fact that both I and y8s ran this style is all you need to know.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
I'm a terrible person
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Congrats. I would give you a boost controller for your prize, but sounds like you don't need one.

I see you have the POS Adaptronic. Can you even log with that 1930s relic? If so post some logs of T valve pwness.

We can then compare when I have logs of these. And then we will know.

Honestly the nut will not come loose unless you don't possess the strength to tighten down a nut. Some of the shitty ebay ones will ---- up. Plus you can think of the vacuum line attached to it as a fail safe, since it would need to twist the vacuum line to unscrew. See, fking win.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #30
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

[quote=Braineack;906896]It's not the lack of tightening the lock nut.. it's overtightening and breaking it while doing so.



ADMIN EDIT: whoops.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #31
Boost Czar
iTrader: (61)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 72,892
Total Cats: 1,792
Default

uhhhhh. whos going to do that?



crap. sorry, i screwed up your post.
Braineack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #32
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

Whos going to do what break it while tightening it?

<this guy most likely.
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #33
I'm a terrible person
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Stop trying to compensate for your gay car and vmaxx suspension by tightening nuts down so hard.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #34
Elite Member
iTrader: (2)
 
triple88a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,131
Total Cats: 598
Default

I'm sorry for clogging up your thread. I wasn't expecting it to turn into a rather childish fight.

/unsubscribe
triple88a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #35
Cpt. Slow
iTrader: (25)
 
curly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon City, OR
Posts: 12,107
Total Cats: 518
Default

Hmm, I might be interested. I'd have to bolt my cat back in, or wait for my 3" exhaust to arrive. I also have a dyno comparison datalog to an ebay MBC.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #36
I'm a terrible person
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple88a View Post
I'm sorry for clogging up your thread. I wasn't expecting it to turn into a rather childish fight.

/unsubscribe
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #37
I'm a terrible person
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly View Post
Hmm, I might be interested. I'd have to bolt my cat back in, or wait for my 3" exhaust to arrive. I also have a dyno comparison datalog to an ebay MBC.
Let me know. I'm still putting them together, waiting on my .020 drill bit. So probably some time early next week I would ship.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 AM   #38
Junior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston
Posts: 370
Total Cats: 62
Default

FWIW, I too KNOW that this works.
hankclaussen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #39
Elite Member
iTrader: (9)
 
TurboTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chesterfield, NJ
Posts: 6,485
Total Cats: 248
Default

I obviously haven't tried the OP's cause they aren't built yet, but my McMaster valve worked awesome sometimes but would stick open when it got real hot. I tried various locations under the hood and it didn't matter. I used a steel ball. Maybe that's why FM used a ceramic ball? If I were to build a bunch I would use the ceramic, it wasn't much more for a bag but I could buy the steel ball individually.
TurboTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #40
I'm a terrible person
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
FRT_Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,293
Total Cats: 180
Default

I will be using only ceramic when I sell them. The ceramic ones I order for the first ones were wrong, so I'm just using the brass ones until the new ones come in.


So any takers? They are totally free, just need a bit of work on your end.
FRT_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Gemini - Turbo Civic on the Cheap Full_Tilt_Boogie Build Threads 59 Yesterday 09:00 PM
LucaCarMods's Boosted Dutch Miata Build! LucaCarMods Build Threads 11 02-14-2016 07:13 AM
1991 special edition with hard top full part out JC, NJ russian Miata parts for sale/trade 6 10-08-2015 04:01 PM
Going back to stock. Need some 1.6 parts. Trent WTB 2 10-01-2015 01:15 PM
Bad head gasket or ? shooterschmidty Engine Performance 8 09-30-2015 11:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 AM.