Prefabbed Turbo Kits A place to discuss prefabricated turbo kits on the market
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on set up

 
Old 10-27-2008, 07:14 AM
  #1  
ger
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Total Cats: -18
Default advice on set up

hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on maximising my set up.

I'm running a 90' 1.6 with greedy running at 6psi, i'm using a bipes ACU set to reduce from 14 down to 8 degrees, with a rev map of 3k-4k pull. I just bought an O2 clamp from olderguy. Other mods are, K&N, cold air feed, decat pipe and sports back box.

ok, i know its a bit of a bandaid set up and i dont have much more money to spend on it, I did the shocks, springs brakes and tyres before the turbo and cant justify spending much more at the mo.

We have 99 octane pump gas here in ireland and the air temp from now until march will be between 30 to 45 degrees.

Would it be safe give these variables to move to 18 degrees base pulling to 10 under boost?

Is it safe to raise the boost?

Any othe advice is very welcome.

Many thanks
ger is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Granbury, TX
Posts: 562
Total Cats: 1
Default

Originally Posted by ger View Post
hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on maximising my set up.

I'm running a 90' 1.6 with greedy running at 6psi, i'm using a bipes ACU set to reduce from 14 down to 8 degrees, with a rev map of 3k-4k pull. I just bought an O2 clamp from olderguy. Other mods are, K&N, cold air feed, decat pipe and sports back box.

ok, i know its a bit of a bandaid set up and i dont have much more money to spend on it, I did the shocks, springs brakes and tyres before the turbo and cant justify spending much more at the mo.

We have 99 octane pump gas here in ireland and the air temp from now until march will be between 30 to 45 degrees.

Would it be safe give these variables to move to 18 degrees base pulling to 10 under boost?

Is it safe to raise the boost?

Any othe advice is very welcome.

Many thanks

I didnt see anything about an intercooler? Before i raised the boost any, I would deffinately get one in there
greenday3437 is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:08 PM
  #3  
ger
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Total Cats: -18
Default

no i dont have an IC as yet, the question i was asking was how to make the most of the set up i have. Timing & boost limits considering 99 0ctane fuel, air temp and other mods. I did a serch for this info before posting but could not find a similar post.

Is the low air temp and high octane fuel worth any thing in terms of tuning?


ger
ger is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 PM
  #4  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (62)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 76,398
Total Cats: 2,296
Default

Originally Posted by ger View Post
Is the low air temp and high octane fuel worth any thing in terms of tuning?

lots of safety margin with extra power in the mix.
Braineack is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 PM
  #5  
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,232
Total Cats: 3
Default

Originally Posted by ger View Post
no i dont have an IC as yet, the question i was asking was how to make the most of the set up i have. Timing & boost limits considering 99 0ctane fuel, air temp and other mods. I did a serch for this info before posting but could not find a similar post.

Is the low air temp and high octane fuel worth any thing in terms of tuning?


ger
ger; if I'm not mistaken, the fuel measuring systems are different in Europe. I don't know the exact correlation but I if I were you, I'd first check on that fact. I'm pretty sure your 99 octane gas isn't the same as the the 99 octane in these parts of the world. Just a heads up.
Rafa is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 PM
  #6  
Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA, Germany, Afghanistan
Posts: 2,945
Total Cats: 3
Default

I'm just curious here may be wrong, do you use the same scale for octane ratings as we do here in the US? I've heard of the European countries using a different method of measuring octane that gives a higher overall number (we use ron/mon here.) I only ask as this may effect the advice you get because what we see as 99 octane is pretty high and will give you a bigger margin of safety than say, 93 octane which is "premium" fuel here and about the highest octane most have access to at the pumps.

EDIT: Damn, Rafa beat me to it...
KPLAFIN is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
  #7  
Boost Czar
iTrader: (62)
 
Braineack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Posts: 76,398
Total Cats: 2,296
Default

edit: http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/internat...munleaded.html

looks like it's rated in RON.


Metric countries use RON, the empirical country we are uses (RON+MON)/2
Braineack is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM
  #8  
Elite Member
iTrader: (15)
 
patsmx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,824
Total Cats: 269
Default

If I were you I'd get an intercooler installed, new disk to keep fuel right, redo Bipes to keep timing safe, 190 HP fuel pump, THEN turn up the boost. Not before.
patsmx5 is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
  #9  
ger
Newb
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 25
Total Cats: -18
Default

hope this helps, there seems to be roughly a 4 point loss from 99 RON converts to 95 RON+MON/2.

thanks for the input but an IC is not on the cards at the minute, guess i'll go back to 8 degrees and keep the boost at 6 psi just to be on the safe side.

ger
ger is offline  
Old 10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
  #10  
Elite Member
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Spanish speaking Non US Caribbean
Posts: 3,232
Total Cats: 3
Default

Originally Posted by ger View Post
hope this helps, there seems to be roughly a 4 point loss from 99 RON converts to 95 RON+MON/2.

thanks for the input but an IC is not on the cards at the minute, guess i'll go back to 8 degrees and keep the boost at 6 psi just to be on the safe side.

ger
If you can't install an IC right now, I would suggest that you look for a thread by Joe Perez on his WI install. I think that could also be an option for you at this time.
Rafa is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
StratoBlue1109
Miata parts for sale/trade
21
09-30-2018 01:09 PM
stoves
Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain
5
04-21-2016 03:00 PM
90 Turbo
MEGAsquirt
19
10-19-2015 03:23 PM
mx592
Suspension, Brakes, Drivetrain
1
10-01-2015 12:45 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: advice on set up


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.